1960s Cox GTM resto project

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

1960s Cox GTM resto project

Post by AndyB72 »

Just purchased this project from my good mate Tim as he's decided to concentrate his efforts on his Mini Sprint project. The Cox is still with Tim at the moment while I finish the resto on my '68 Inno MK1.

The plan is to try and use the existing gear linkage and keep as much of the car as original as possible. I'll probably go for a tuned 1100 engine as I've built a few in the past and have plenty of spares kicking about, it should also be a bit kinder to the old style gearbox. I'll post more photos once I collect the car.

A bit more info on the car before Tim bought it here...

http://maximummini.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... -sold.html

Last edited by AndyB72 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Re: 1960s Cox GTM resto project

Post by Pandora »

great car! my bidding finger was very twitchy when it was on ebay!

Al
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

Post by rich@minispares.com »

ditto, had I not bought another desperate lump of shite the week before this appeared on ebay when tim bought it I suspect it would have been mine.

I love it, it just looks perfect, and im suere andy b will be the man to bring it back to life
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Great project Andy ! Originally came from around the corner from me ! Welcome to the DOC - 'Deviant Owners Club'. 8-)
Nevsmini
1275 Cooper S

Post by Nevsmini »

Very nice little project you have there. Well done! Looking forward to updates as you go.
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

Can't wait to get it back here. When Tim told me what he'd bought and how much he'd paid for it back then I though he needed his head checking :) But when I saw it in the plastic I was very jealous!
morris-miner
998 Cooper

Post by morris-miner »

Fantastic project, I an very envious but looking forward to following the thread of the rebuild.
tedmcedd
1275 Cooper S

Post by tedmcedd »

LOVE This!!

love the rear lamps, and the seats! and it all!!

I look forward to updates!

Ed
tintoptom
998 Cooper

Post by tintoptom »

Sweet!!

The intake (if that's what it is!) on the rear wing - I guess that fed an oil cooler mounted inside the hole cut in the rear?
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

tintoptom wrote:Sweet!!

The intake (if that's what it is!) on the rear wing - I guess that fed an oil cooler mounted inside the hole cut in the rear?
a big problem with the early 'cow horn' cox's was keeping them cool, they just couldn't get enough air into the rear (or get the hot air out) I think they could just about cope with an 850, but when people stared to put s motors in them they just kettled up for fun.

a mate of mine had one of the very first ones on the road in 1967 and he said it would blow its expansion bottle the second it was in traffic - his had a nasty trick in that if it did this it would direct the red hot steam right onto the unfortunate passengers neck :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

for a while they put the rads in the back (on the first of the heerey ones), and some of them have some hideous air scoops and what not on the rear wings.

its possible to solve the cooling now, as people understand expansion bottle and the importance of the heights of the pipes and what not.

'long beard boss'
1071kev
850 Super

Post by 1071kev »

Another cracking find Andy. Looks like we have more in common than just having interesting green Innocenti's. I've got a Heerey too.
Kev
1961 Pre-Production Supercharged Riley Elf
1964 Austin Cooper S 1071
1965 Austin Moke
Sprintex Supercharged Maguire Mini
Turbo'd Spaceframe Riley Elf
1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper Mk3/1300
1973 Pavesi Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
1975 Tilling 1275GT
Status 365 - Grit Bin
tedmcedd
1275 Cooper S

Post by tedmcedd »

Something I have just thought of....

The front hubs. Did they have just CV ends in, and no drive shafts, obv. Or their own version of stub axle?

I keep looking at this... every time I get more and more jealous...

I definitely need another plastic mini...

Ed
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

ed

they just have the outer part of the c.v in them, with no case or balls.

you can, if your flash, machine the excess away, so the back if flat, but there is no real worth in doing it

'long beard boss'
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

I need to get up and have a good look at yours Rich now I'm in the plastic pig club.

How did you sort the handbrake?
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

AndyB72 wrote:I need to get up and have a good look at yours Rich now I'm in the plastic pig club.

How did you sort the handbrake?
ive got mine in bits andy as im converting the rear a frames to the later type suspension set up - it makes the tracking far easier to do - once ive sorted that, and the water leaking n I might start using it!

the hand brake is easy, you just use a pair of gtm cables and it all works well - ive got all the gtm blueprints if you want to borrow them to copy?

'long beard boss'
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

Def interested in the blueprints. So do the gtm cables work with mini backplates?
tedmcedd
1275 Cooper S

Post by tedmcedd »

rich@minispares.com wrote:ed

you can, if your flash, machine the excess away, so the back if flat, but there is no real worth in doing it
Fair enough!

I think I'd be fancy.... and lightweight... haha!
Vegard
1275 Cooper S

Post by Vegard »

rich@minispares.com wrote:ed

I've been led to believe that MGF "CVs" are perfect for this..
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

Well thanks to the Whights delivery service (Tim and Chas) the GTM is now in my garage in Yorkshire. The plan is to take it to Blyton and try and resist the temptation to start work on it until the Inno is 100% finished, I can be easily distracted.

First job is to fit a dummy engine/box/head to see what carb options I have without having to have a huge bulge in the bonnet (boot). Option 1 is the 7 port Speedwell head on an 1100 with twin 40s, second option is a 1275'ish with twin SUs. As the lid is unmolested it would be nice to keep it as original as possible.

tjw89
998 Cooper

Post by tjw89 »

No worries on dropping it off Andy!! Was good to catch up and also gained another part I badly wanted for my current project. Well I know I will regret heavily on selling this car as I wanted one for a long while. But after 2/3 years of owning/buying it off eBay, I haven't done owt to it, I did a few hours on it here and there like taking bits off but that's it. Then another project turned up that I had wanted for years and years so I decided it was time to finally let this one go so that someone would do it justice. Well I had two/three people in mind that would buy it straight away! But myself and Andy have being doing deals with each other for years and years, I bought my Cooper off him and he done me a good deal on it back then, and I know his standard of work and his standards he wants things doing ( as we do paintwork for him ) so I knew he would do this GTM well, so I went straight to him and the deal was done. Glad its gone to a good home! And look forward to the progress pictures, just bloody hope it doesn't have a stripe down it :lol:

Tim