Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Re: Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Before I can turn my attention to the inner A panel, the area underneath has to be finished first.

The A-pillar was still open until then. I had already made the matching rep panel some time ago. But I extended it in the transition to the footwell by exactly the area I had cut out later. Here, too, exact fitting is essential for welding without distortion.

IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6303.jpg
IMG_6308.jpg

Before I closed the cavity, I used Mike Sanders anti corrosion grease from the sill up to the windshield frame. It's important not to apply it too close to the welding area, because it will run there later on its own, and also not to apply it too thick, because the stuff can burn. In the cavity, one then has not much options for extinguishing.

IMG_6310.jpg
IMG_6311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28477
phil82
850 Super

Post by phil82 »

thanks for the weekly Sunday Mini motivation highlight :D
m1cH1
850 Super

Post by m1cH1 »

Dr.Mabo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:45 pm To check the lines, I then used my "precision measuring tool", which I store exclusively at a well-tempered temperature in the humidor :lol: . So a chunky piece of packing string ;)
Doc, you´re a strange man! Keeping a cigar and a cigarillo in your garage and your tools inside a well-tempered humidor... ;) :roll: :lol:
I sincerely hope - as you store that packing string in the humidor - it is at least made from finest Cuban sisal!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, the work you do in your garage is brilliant and some very nice inspiration!
And having had the luck to see this work in real life, I can very much vouch for it and say it is even nicer than it looks on the photos!
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Its sunday morning again. Its time for another update :D Philipp, you discoverd my schedule :oops:

@ m1ch1, and all this as a liftime nonsmoker :mrgreen:

The last thing to go onto the wing is the inner A-panel. Since I no longer need the full size of the inner A-panel, I cut it down to the minimum. So only the stiffening areas for the hinges remain. No doubled panels - no rust. Another problem with double sheets is that in most cases they do not lie exactly on top of each other. If you then later tighten the bolts of the door hinges properly, the outer/weaker A-pabel usually deforms very unattractively. This is extremely annoying after painting / filling. Since the outer body line was already exactly defined, it was now necessary to fit the inner A-panel cleanly from the inside. With the help of the door hinges, the panels can be brought together quite well without gaps in this state. Now determine the exact position along the A-pillar and make sure that the entire surface is in contact with the sheet metal underneath.

IMG_6314.jpg
IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6324.jpg

Maybe one or the other is wondering about the untypical design of the inner A-panel I used, no recesses in the hinge area and no triangular stiffener. I had a very old pair left over from one of my first restorations. From times when M-Machine was still called Mini-Machine. I finally used them here.

After everything was primed and the welding areas were prepared, the fourth and last part joined the wing combo. This way the wing really deserves its name. It now extends from the headlight to the door cutout and under the windshield. In other words, just like you're used to on today's cars. 8-)

IMG_6325.jpg
IMG_6327.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Post by Old English White »

Amazing work Doc 8-)
hanlminiman
1275 Cooper S
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Forget the UK NHS - you are the best DOC with fantastic updates during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Keep safe and healthy. You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

hanlminiman wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:12 pm Forget the UK NHS - you are the best DOC with fantastic updates during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Keep safe and healthy. You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you.
Wow, that's a vey strong compliment. Thanks :o

What was now done for the right side had to be done in the same way for the left wing, of course. It takes a lot of patience to apply the same care to the other side after the painstaking work on the first side was successfully finished. The only advantage is, you already know how to do it and you don't have to try anymore.

After both wings were finished, everything had to be put together. Positioning the bonnet and front mask exactly and then bring the wings into their final position. Again, careful preparation is fundamental for good welds later. However, since I butt welded the wings with MAG and in pilger steps, the gaps between the sheets did not have to be quite as narrow as with gas welding 8-) The correct alignment of the panels is the most essential part.

IMG_6586.jpg
IMG_6590.jpg
IMG_6596.jpg
IMG_6600.jpg
IMG_6604.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

the level of accuracy throughout this build is ridiculous! incredible work, just incredible.

Al
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Absolutely stunning as always!
ferret
Basic 850

Post by ferret »

Just fantastic
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Finally, the Broadspeed has a face again 8-) .

Wings and front mask are welded together and all welds are ground.

IMG_6617.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6630.jpg
IMG_6641.jpg
IMG_6639.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Looks great!!! 8-)
I promise i won't buy another MkI...
Charlynsane
1275 Cooper S

Post by Charlynsane »

Incredible work as usual doc!

what is the hole above the indicator hole?

Thank you

Charles
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Charlynsane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm what is the hole above the indicator hole?
Hi Charles,

the hole above the indicator is for a separate sidelight or position light. However it is called. You can see it on my motivation photo in the very first post.

so long
the Doc
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Polarsilver
1275 Cooper S

Post by Polarsilver »

Doc, just take extra care if you have a 12v Battery in an area where you Weld or are creating Grinding Sparks they can make a Battery Explode .. seen it happen Big Bang that tore the battery case apart all very scary and it is not a good experience.

Otherwise your task is very impressive "Proper Job" :)
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Polarsilver wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 am Doc, just take extra care if you have a 12v Battery in an area where you Weld or are creating Grinding Sparks they can make a Battery Explode .. seen it happen Big Bang that tore the battery case apart all very scary and it is not a good experience.
You are totally right. This would be very dangerous.
In this case the above photo is misleading, sorry. Welding and grinding was defenately without a batterie nearby. After the front was finished I try fit the motordriven antenna. That's why I needed the batterie close to it.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Charlynsane
1275 Cooper S

Post by Charlynsane »

Dr.Mabo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 am
Charlynsane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm what is the hole above the indicator hole?
Hi Charles,

the hole above the indicator is for a separate sidelight or position light. However it is called. You can see it on my motivation photo in the very first post.

so long
the Doc
Thank you for your explanations!

and congrats for your outstanding work as usual!

you have golden hands!
Dearg1275
1275 Cooper S

Post by Dearg1275 »

More than wonderful - inspiration.

D
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

After the basic bodyshell is completed, the movable parts must of course also be fitted and adjusted. So, then the classic restoration of the doors was on the agenda.

All the repair panels used so far were from "cheap" manufacturers that don't necessarily have the best reputation among some. But since I had to modify a lot anyway, I was completely satisfied with these panels. The door skins were the only ones from "premium production" (BMH). Definitely at premium prices.
The black primer has already crumbled off like puff pastry at slight contact. Actually, I was in the belief that they were KTL coated. But I think that time is long gone.

And actually, such a door skin is not very complex, it is all the more unfortunate when it does not fit. In the case of the left door skin, this affected the parallelism to the B-pillar in the lock area, i.e., the S-swing, and at the A-pillar, the lines in the transition to the window frame did not fit either. At both ends, the gap was clearly too large. So, I cut open the door skin just before the edge, clamped a piece of copper behind it and filled the missing material while MAG welding and finally grinded it down. I really would have expected a bit more from BMH. :cry:

IMG_6670.jpg
IMG_6671.jpg
IMG_6668.jpg
IMG_6669.jpg
IMG_6672.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
ferret
Basic 850

Post by ferret »

Great looking work as always Doc, I put a rear floor/seat panel in my cooper and BMH had punched the holes for
the rear subframe mounting bolt holes in the wrong place, so know how you feel, you expect better when you pay for
what meant to be premium product. Mind you I think that is last time I touched it as I lost all my mo jo with it.