997 Cooper Gear lever is sizzling/vibrating

Post any technical questions or queries here.
1071 S
1275 Cooper S

Re: 997 Cooper Gear lever is sizzling/vibrating

Post by 1071 S »

If you're interested I could go and dig it out and measure the bush?

That one lasted 8 or 10 years and was only swapped out when I acquired a Quikshift..

The bit of hose on the Qshift has been there since the late 90s.

Cheers, Ian
IslandBlue
998 Cooper

Post by IslandBlue »

1071 S wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 am If you're interested I could go and dig it out and measure the bush?

That one lasted 8 or 10 years and was only swapped out when I acquired a Quikshift..

Cheers, Ian
Thanks, yes when you have a moment, would give an idea for the right length of hose as well. Is there space to secure the bush with a tie wrap or two if you slit the bush to fit it? I think forcing the bush over the ball end was an issue.
Cheers
Stewart
Bodge
Basic 850

Post by Bodge »

1071bob wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 pm
It's not a new modification, I've seen it done with knuckle pin rubber boots. The early gearsticks had a larger ball on the end which was a metal to metal contact with lower socket. You need to damp the movement between the two parts. I used the mini trackrod end boot because it had two grooves which enabled me to tywrap it tight to the 'stick and socket. Some heavy grease inside would help to.
My early 998 Cooper suffered from this annoying gear stick buzz too. I think someone on this forum sent me through this cutting from an old MCR magazine that also suggests the remedy of the knuckle joint rubber boot. I made the modification and it's been fine ever since. Cheers Roger

Cooper Gearstick Modification.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1071 S
1275 Cooper S

Post by 1071 S »

IslandBlue wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:24 pm
1071 S wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 am If you're interested I could go and dig it out and measure the bush?

Cheers, Ian
Thanks, yes when you have a moment, would give an idea for the right length of hose as well. Is there space to secure the bush with a tie wrap or two if you slit the bush to fit it? I think forcing the bush over the ball end was an issue.
Cheers
Stewart
Hi Stewart,

Measured with my trusty Chinese vernier, I get an overall length of 0.93", o'all dia 0.915", lip depth 0.175" and lip diameter 1.075".

Noting when and where I bought it, I would pretty much guarantee its a genuine BMC item. Although, I couldn't guarantee its identity other than what I was told... I think the groove towards the bottom edge is wear. It has been on the shift lever for around 35 years.

I'm sure there's room for ties but I would have just used rubber grease, blunt force and ignorance.... Maybe the rubber was a bit more flexible back then...

As a, by the way, does anyone know if the original cast alloy lever retaining cap can found?

Cheers, Ian
Charlynsane
1275 Cooper S

Post by Charlynsane »

Many thanks for all your response

I'm working on the Moke but the next job is the 997!! engine out for a very light overhaul, clutch and seals,

I didn't find leakage as well but I drove 30 miles last week end and lost 2 liters of oil... even the clutch seal is a little bit leaking, I will have to take a look closer
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

There’s some great ideas here, I’m going to try that trunnion bush as that should be a better option than adding weight to the shifter

And now I’ve seen the previous post I’ve realised that mine has the larger ball on the end and no plastic bush and that would definitely not help the cause.

On a slightly related topic, I don’t have the gaiter 22A419 on my magic wand gearbox. Would that help quieten it down and does anyone have a picture of one fitted?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dgear1984
850 Super

Post by dgear1984 »

360gts wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:30 pm First, nice 997....looks great.

The noise....there are a few things that can be done to help get rid of the annoying rattle.
You could do two of the three fixes...

The rattle is caused by vibration...this is transmitted down the remote housing and up through the gear lever.
The vibration is exaggerated by loose components (worn)

Attaching a couple of pictures showing what can be done to get rid of the vibration.

1. Most owners overlook the diff housing when rebuilding the unit....the two bronze bushings (# 3) end up with an oval wear pattern....these should be replaced on any rebuild...Unfortunately, you won't be able to replace these now.

The following can be done without removing the engine...just remove the remote housing.

2. The rubber washers on the bell crank shaft....these are quite important,.....they act like a damper......and the shaft should also be changed...
this is high wear area.

3. This is a mod we have always done...even on the later MK1 with the rubber damper gear lever.
We drill and tap the remote housing (at the arrow)
Then we add the same anti vibration bits (# 17, 18, 19 and 20)….Circled in orange....these parts are readily available from suppliers like Somerford.

Worth a try.
Great information.

I’ve just changed the two bronze bushes you mention (part #3) with the gearbox in the car. It is possible