Riley Elf Chartreuse Yellow paint code

Post any technical questions or queries here.
Peter1071
850 Super

Riley Elf Chartreuse Yellow paint code

Post by Peter1071 »

My Mk2 Elf restoration is fast approaching the painting stage. I have decided to repaint this Chartreuse Yellow with a Florentine Blue roof. A factory colour, rarely seen, can't imagine it was popular at the time, or now! I like it though and much prefer it to the original colour of Arianca Beige. I also wanted a powder blue interior which was the colour fitted to Chartreuse cars.

The paint supplier is a bit nervy about mixing up a big pot of expensive paint in a hideous colour only to be told it's not the right shade. My research has come up with Florentine Blue, BMC BU7, ICI code 3198, GIP code 19874. For Chartreuse Yellow I can only find BMC YL2.

There are a couple of nice looking Mk1 cars about registered 1761 MG and 7262 MG in this colour combination. Perhaps the owners are known to forum members and could offer advise? Confusingly, I've seen Florentine Blue listed as BMC BU5 for the Mk1 and there is also a later Chartreuse BLVC 167 to avoid.

Peter
360gts
1275 Cooper S

Re: Riley Elf Chartreuse Yellow paint code

Post by 360gts »

Peter
I own an original MK1 Elf in that color scheme...here are the codes right from the Elf AKD service book
Florentine Blue.......BU7
Chartreuse Yellow...YL2
CMC
850 Super

Post by CMC »

To check, one of the Mini Seven Club Netherlands members has one:

Nick W
1275 Cooper S

Post by Nick W »

Peter
Your supplier should be able to mix you a 10th to check colour.

Nick
Up North in Sheffield
davidnutland
998 Cooper

Post by davidnutland »

So now I know of five in that colour, they must be common as ....... I was only available for 62 I think
Peter1071
850 Super

Post by Peter1071 »

Thanks for all of your helpful comments. All the literature I have lists this colour combination for both Mk1 and Mk2 Elfs but not Mk3.
Interesting if it was only available for 1962. I must admit that I have not seen this on a Mk2 before just a few Mk1s.
cheleker
998 Cooper

Post by cheleker »

I'm another Mk I owner of that colour. (33,000 miles -- all original -- built October 1962) New to me, also, that that combination was used on Mk IIs.
Catmint
998 Cooper

Post by Catmint »

davidnutland wrote:So now I know of five in that colour, they must be common as ....... I was only available for 62 I think
A lot of that colour in the early records were sent over to Zimbabwae (Rhodesia as it was then) for some reason, but yes a rare colour scheme
Peter Laidler
1275 Cooper S

Post by Peter Laidler »

I can't believe that in the early, sober and subdued, straight, po-faced 60's that someone at BMC could have invented such a colour as that yellow - and matched it with that blue........ Must have been the same person who came back to the styling dept in the mid 70's and invented the snap dragon, Autumn Leaf, Russett Browns and that Khaki colour etc etc's of the era