At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: At The Auctions

Post by mk1 »

"This car also has a right-hand petrol tank which was not specified for the S in period but is an ultra-rare Speedwell accessory, one of only two known to exist and much coveted by other Cooper S owners!"

Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

Pete wrote:The history of the OEW 'S' was an interesting read..

Looked a decent buy?
If it has the green logbook, all the correct bits and Tony Ennion did it, looks okay for 30 odd grand. It's not 101% perfect but it's not 50 grand either.
Iirc, Garry Dicken's grey and white Morris is also a late 1965 built/66 registered car - they may only be a few numbers apart.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

late 1965 built/66 registered car.

As is my Speedwell Car.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

mk1 wrote:Having had a look through all the classic car lots, i would say that there was now evidence of a distinct softening in the whole classic car market, not just Minis.
Certainly looks that way. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.
mab01uk
1275 Cooper S

Post by mab01uk »

BRIGHTWELLS AUCTION REVIEW - LEOMINSTER, 27TH SEPTEMBER
"Buyers spent just under £1.3m on three quarters of the 130 classics auctioned by Brightwells on a mid-week afternoon in Herefordshire in front of a huge crowd.
There were no signs of any pre-Brexit slowdown at the Brightwells auction centre just outside Leominster in Herefordshire, where a car park overflowing crowd of enthusiasts snapped up 95 classics, 73% of the 130 auctioned, for £1.3m including premium with further post-sales in prospect. Apart from the large ‘live’ audience of punters, some of whom had made long journeys from the EU mainland, overseas interest was also strong with registered bidders participating via telephones and on-line from afar afield as Abu Dhabi and Australia.
A restored 1966 Mini Cooper S Mk1 sold for £35,200, about £34,500 more than it cost its first owner 50 years ago. A Mini City E auto which had been driven less than 12,000 miles by one lady owner since new in 1990 made £8800. British Leyland era Mini Clubman Estate 998, driven 56,000 miles since new in 1975 by one owner who had the Sherbert Lemon bodywork resprayed 15 years ago, fetched £6050. Despite not being driven since 1978, a tatty looking 1967 Mini Van with modified 1275 engine, straight-cut box and Cooper S brakes without DVLA ID was transported away for £5060."
http://classicsworld.co.uk/classic-car- ... on-review/

SWVA CLASSIC AUCTION, 27TH OCTOBER 2017
"Whether it was the gorgeously sunny autumn weather, or traders were simply stocking up before winter, there was a busy and positive feel to South West Vehicle Auction’s October sale. A fabulous array of classic cars of all persuasions were on offer; 78 lots in total with an impressive 94% sell through. With a handful of exceptions, bidding was strong from the hall, over the phone and online.
The Mini was well represented with a handful up for grabs. It still amazes us just how strong Mini prices have become, and the last of the line Cooper Sport example at the auction was no exception, which sold for £14,500, around double the estimate."
http://classicsworld.co.uk/classic-car- ... -review-2/
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Post by Old English White »

I attended Brightwells most recent auction sale at the Bicester Heritage site on 25th October. Of the 4 Minis entered, only one reached the estimate - a 1993 13,500mile Mini Sprite which sold for £6600 (estimate £6000 = £8000).
The others: A 1965 Mk1 Super Deluxe was unsold, a 1967 Mk1 Cooper "S" sold after the sale for £34000 having been estimated at £40000 - £45000 and a 1987 "Wood & Pickett" 998 Auto sold for £3800 - estimated at £4000 - £5000.
timell
998 Cooper

Post by timell »

I'm glad to see prices finally seem to be softening (IMHO) 8-)
YMJ
1275 Cooper S

Post by YMJ »

"...in 2012, it was hauled out of storage...."

Another winner! :lol: :lol:
Simon776
1275 Cooper S

Post by Simon776 »

I attended Brightwells most recent auction sale at the Bicester Heritage site on 25th October.
What did you think of the Mk 1 S? It didn't look £40k's worth in the pictures.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not possess it.
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Simon, I only gave the "S" a brief look as I was short of time and there to look at MGs, but it was a good looking car with decent paint and good panel fit (the doors fitted particularly well despite the drivers door having the large hole on the inside which suggests a late Van or Heritage panel) and straight roof gutters. A decent quality restoration I thought. I wouldn't want to commit to its authenticity and judge whether it was a "real" one or had previously lived in an envelope because I simply didn't look deeply enough. It was still Hydrolastic. The chassis plate looked a bit fresh and the interior a bit new(ton) and the wheels incorrect along with quite a few other minor infringements but it looked a lot better than many and I heard it start up and drive outside later and thought it sounded well with no expensive grumbling from the gears. All in all, it probably wasn't the worst buy there although I imagine the premium & VAT are to be added to the £34,000 which brings it to a total of £38,080 by my reckoning? I think the sale price was perhaps agreed post-auction because I thought the highest bid was £31,000. Is £38,000 about right for such a car? Somebody must have though so I guess......
Reborn Cooper S Man
Basic 850

Post by Reborn Cooper S Man »

Old English White wrote:Simon, I only gave the "S" a brief look as I was short of time and there to look at MGs, but it was a good looking car with decent paint and good panel fit (the doors fitted particularly well despite the drivers door having the large hole on the inside which suggests a late Van or Heritage panel) and straight roof gutters. A decent quality restoration I thought. I wouldn't want to commit to its authenticity and judge whether it was a "real" one or had previously lived in an envelope because I simply didn't look deeply enough. It was still Hydrolastic. The chassis plate looked a bit fresh and the interior a bit new(ton) and the wheels incorrect along with quite a few other minor infringements but it looked a lot better than many and I heard it start up and drive outside later and thought it sounded well with no expensive grumbling from the gears. All in all, it probably wasn't the worst buy there although I imagine the premium & VAT are to be added to the £34,000 which brings it to a total of £38,080 by my reckoning? I think the sale price was perhaps agreed post-auction because I thought the highest bid was £31,000. Is £38,000 about right for such a car? Somebody must have though so I guess......
I was also there and thought the rear windows chrome frames were wrong also the was a large gap in one.
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

You're right, it had the Mk2 stainless steel type of window frames. I though it possible that these were fitted to the last of the Mk1s(?) but I'm not sure. My own 1967 had the chrome ones but it wasn't such a late car as this.
smithyrc30
1275 Cooper S

Post by smithyrc30 »

My late Mk1 had the stainless rear windows.
Reborn Cooper S Man
Basic 850

Post by Reborn Cooper S Man »

smithyrc30 wrote:My late Mk1 had the stainless rear windows.
That explains it then :)
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Reborn Cooper S Man wrote:
smithyrc30 wrote:My late Mk1 had the stainless rear windows.
That explains it then :)
Yup very late Mk1s have mk2 stylee stainless.

I thought the OEW/Black S went for reasonable money in the late September auction.
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Anyone know the results of the Anglia Car Auction at Kings Lynn today, specifically the Mini pick up project ?
dodge44
998 Cooper

Post by dodge44 »

Couple of early Mk1's at Charterhouse Auction, Shepton Mallet later today (5/11). The Blue Morris has been off the road since 1988 but unfortunately does not have it's original engine by the looks of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigWig
850 Super

Post by BigWig »

Polarsilver
1275 Cooper S

Post by Polarsilver »

Never bothered to read the auction blurb .. but it should describe how & when Ringo,s Kaftan somehow damaged the drivers seat .. Its all part of this cars rich history.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Polarsilver wrote:Never bothered to read the auction blurb .. but it should describe how & when Ringo,s Kaftan somehow damaged the drivers seat .. Its all part of this cars rich history.
The seats in it now couldn't have been in it when Ringo had it, they're a later addition. if this is Ringo's car (and there's no reason it shouldn't be) it certainly underwent some changes after Ringo sold it and that part of it's history has never been aired publicly. Looks like it went to W&P in the 70s maybe for a big make over? Would be great to find out more.