At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
scalino65
Basic 850

Re: At The Auctions

Post by scalino65 »

I noticed this one on e bay (sorry if not teh correct thread, I can only see an e bay one that seems more about crazy prices being asked.)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUST ... 4123674566

Also this RHD (boo!) reshelled Inno
https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/in ... xport-1300
I really fancy an Inno 1300:)
and this 998 also at CCA:
https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/mini-cooper-13118

The CCA auction seems to be doing ok esp. given these strange times.
mk1coopers
1275 Cooper S

Post by mk1coopers »

There seems to be a little bit of a price correction going on whilst all this is happening, the question is once we come out of it will there be a massive sustained drop or will there be a short sharp drop followed by a rise if lots of people come out of this with a 'life's to short' attitude and they start buying to live their dreams.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

A bit of both, I think. There will be a lot of people who sadly need to liquidate some cash, and there will be some, probably fewer in number, who think 'life's too short, I'm just going to buy my dream'. I know a few of the later, but oddly all folk looking to becoming born again bikers. Weird.

On balance, it will be a buyers market, I think as those needing to sell will have to be very realistic with price expectations in a downwards competitive market. But I don't see this being necessarily long term, more of a short term adjustment to immediate cash flow needs of some

Al
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

I think it depends on how long the lockdown lasts. Already there have been a lot of half finished cars appearing on Ebay, the press reports that new car sales have slumped, so I guess there will be a lot of dealers who are not turning stock over. Some auction houses are still trying to trade by doing online sales, but with the dealers cash already tied up it is probably a good time for private buyers to get what looks like a bargain.
With no events to go to for the foreseeable then the amount of casual enthusiasts is going to drop and that lump of metal in the garage will just be getting in the way so more cars will come on the market making todays bargains look a bit expensive.
Will the market recover, a lot depends on the world economy and how many small (and medium) businesses go to the wall. I'm hanging on to what I have got for now and will start looking again in 2021 (although there's a barn find Mini Clubman coming up at an auction in June).
Polarsilver
1275 Cooper S

Post by Polarsilver »

Its all going to fall downwards .. just like House Prices will :roll:
I
trevorhp
1275 Cooper S

Post by trevorhp »

I feel that Downwards seems unlikely:
With bank interest rates as low as they can go.
Stock markets in free fall.
Commercial property rental income nil.
Commercial property values on the High street heading down all the time, with big names walking away.
Pension funds being decimated.
Dividends certain to be suspended or decreasing.
Many Retail sales going South.
Not so many new homes being built.

Cars may seem like a good long term investment.???
"Ambition: the first step on the road to disappointment" Homer. J. Simpson
"Disappointment: the first step on the road to enlightenment" Buddha
"Enlightenment: the first step on the road to ambition" Dalai Lama

No point in hoping to go to Heaven...... I won't know anyone there.
KDK 320F
HDK 443E
DJJ 226H
TFD 47G
PKV 375
I x un-identified Ex-Race Cooper S Bodyshell
1 x chassis 007 1967 Cox GTM Originally from Bolton, then Swansea.
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

trevorhp wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm I feel that Downwards seems unlikely:
Cars may seem like a good long term investment.???
Ummmmm "Long Term" may depend on the car and who will want to buy it.......look at the demographics of car forums or indeed this forum.

Its a guess, but say majority are over 50 trying to re-kindle some youth, that is a diminishing market... :|

My 22 year old Sons idea of a classic is an 1990 BMW ..... :D
66Traveller
1275 Cooper S

Post by 66Traveller »

Indeed - the same with my youngest (21 year old) daughter - a classic is a 1989 Mk2 Golf (which she has just bought!) - I suspect she views 60s and early 70s classics the way we used to look at pre-war cars...
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

66Traveller wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:55 pm Indeed - the same with my youngest (21 year old) daughter - a classic is a 1989 Mk2 Golf (which she has just bought!) - I suspect she views 60s and early 70s classics the way we used to look at pre-war cars...
Yep, My other Son looking at a MK2 golf yesterday (MK1 is too expensive...), it was "Sick", apparently :lol: .....
mk1coopers
1275 Cooper S

Post by mk1coopers »

:lol: Some of us have still got the actual cars we had in our youth, does that mean that we didn't grow up :lol:
miniseven61
Basic 850

Post by miniseven61 »

I bought my mini when I was 18, I am now 68, it makes me feel young when I drive it now, lots of memories there.
haynes
850 Super

Post by haynes »

What's the general consensus of this cooper? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUST ... 4123674566

Looks like it has s discs, spacers on rear drums, dry suspension. Copper brake lines dont look very neat and have they reused the master cylinders? Grot on the vacuum unit and few othe ancillaries. And what's going on with the rear wheel?
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

haynes wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:24 pm What's the general consensus of this cooper? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUST ... 4123674566

Looks like it has s discs, spacers on rear drums, dry suspension. Copper brake lines dont look very neat and have they reused the master cylinders? Grot on the vacuum unit and few othe ancillaries. And what's going on with the rear wheel?
And don't forget the dodgy boot lid, lack of chrome trim on the doors, wrong colour carpet....

I'm sure that was for sale with steel wheels and hub caps a couple of months ago.
coopertim
1275 Cooper S
Location: In the garage spending far more time and money than my wife agreed to! Lincolnshire UK

Post by coopertim »

I’ve now got the Cooper S of my dreams, did I pay too much ? Maybe, will it be sold ? never! May 63 build and lots of time and money needed to restore but it will be used and loved as it was intended. Not as an investment but as the car I wanted, an early 1071 in Tartan, used as a privateer rally car from new.
swifty
1275 Cooper S

Post by swifty »

Yep same here . After years of being pretty ruthless when it comes to selling I've now found my holy grail of a mini . A June 63 smoke grey 1071 S . .... This one I will keep ! .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s.

I am from Essex
haynes
850 Super

Post by haynes »

haynes wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:24 pm What's the general consensus of this cooper? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUST ... 4123674566

Seems quite reasonable at £13400. But even at that price I couldn't part with that sort of cash without having seen it in the flesh first.
haynes
850 Super

Post by haynes »

and.rs1800 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:45 pm
smithyrc30 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:29 pm
snoopy64 wrote:

Is the rear number late treatment on the SWVA a common touch... not sure I've seen that done before on a 'correct' boot lid, guess it doesn't knock when you hit a pothole...?
What do mean? On the pi55 (high on the left low on the right) or without the hinged section?

I think it just points to a very sloppy, half arsed job. Even the bloody boot seal is on the wrong way up.
This car is on eBay now-amazingly from two different dealers!!
One in Chelmsford for £16950,-and another in Bournemouth for £18950!!! Wtf?
The SWVA mk2 cooper now reduced to £15,950 ono
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1198639
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

This might end up a bargain. Older restoration with cover sills, but looks tidy enough to be used. Plenty of pictures.

https://themarket.co.uk/listings/austin ... tatus=live
AndyPen
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyPen »

Like the way they seem pretty honest about it all.

Is that the dynamo making that noise when it revs?
Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

'Developing patina'.

F*** me, I thought I'd heard every used car dealer phrase in the book. :lol:

Translation: A tatty old shed.