Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
UHR850
1275 Cooper S

Re: Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Post by UHR850 »

Also have seen these on a Japannees site usesing the original mirror bolt hols :D

Kees.

https://piccadilly-house.com/news/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Great work as always Doc. I thought my rear quarter issues were difficult to sort out on my Sprint. The lengths you had to go through with the GT are 100 times more difficult.

As always, a great solution in the 3nd though.

M
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

During one of my test runs of the engine, I had to learn that it is not really clever to connect the engine breather hoses directly into the intake manifold. Unfortunately, with the twin H4 carburetor, the engine breather cannot be connected to the carburetor in front of the throttle valve. And on the other hand, only 1 hose can be connected to the PCV valve for mounting on the intake manifold. But since I have two engine breather and am not a fan of manifolds and hose clamps, I had built this T-piece. Especially as the function of the PCV valve was not really clear to me until then. :?:

IMG_7591.jpg

How did it work? The engine was drawing plenty of oil into the intake manifold via the engine vents and burning it. I was worried that the neighbours would call the fire brigade. :oops:

So the goal was to connect two hoses to the PCV valve. I found a small 90° piece of pipe in the DIY store, drilled the appropriate hole in the housing and inserted it with 2 pack glue. It is important to stay in the same pressure chamber of the valve. And so two hoses can also be connected.

IMG_7763.jpg
IMG_7765.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg
IMG_7776.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28477
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Clever solution 8-)
I promise i won't buy another MkI...
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I suspected that might happen with the breathers connected to the manifold

I learned the lesson with PCV systems that they need to be setup very specifically. If you have too much air coming into the system (eg wrong oil cap or leaky seals) the pcv will let in much more air at idle and idle very high.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Another beautifully elegant solution. :D
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Although I already had a nice Les Leston steering wheel for my Broadspeed, I wasn't entirely happy with it. It was in good condition, but didn't really match the rest in terms of quality. And as I mentioned before, the connection between man and machine is extremely important to me. I had another LL wooden steering wheel in my collection. However, it had bent spokes and the wood had various cracks. So it was ideal for a thorough overhaul to meet my requirements. The spokes were quickly straightened, so the first photo is the before-condition but with straight spokes.

IMG_7842.jpg

First I sanded off the various layers of paint from the last decades down to the wood. It is always important to isolate the transitions between the wood and the aluminium spokes, regardless of whether you are working on the aluminium or the wood. Then I sanded and polished all the scratches and dents out of the spokes. The LL steering wheels used in Porsches and Jaguars often have a brushed scale pattern. I find this extremely luxury. Obviously others do too, as these steering wheels are often offered for between 2000 and 4000 Euros. I thought I could do it myself. With a small felt attachment and a little sanding paste, the pattern can be applied to the spokes with a little patience.

IMG_7880.jpg
IMG_7881.jpg

I filled the cracks in the wood in several layers with wood glue and then sanded them down.

IMG_7885.jpg

I also find a darker wood tone more noble than the relatively light original wood. So I stained the wood darker. Finally, I painted the wood with 7 layers of 2k clear coat and afterwards I sanded and polished it again with 2000 grid sandpaper. Now it can remain in my Broadspeed. 8-)

IMG_7889.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Very nice result! ;)
UHR850
1275 Cooper S

Post by UHR850 »

8-) Absolute a great job, big compliments.

Kees.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Fantastic attention to detail. . . . . As always!
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

After the quarter light frames were TIG welded, the hard work began. Sanding, more sanding and sanding again plus the final polishing. But the result is satisfying. I can only recognise the welds myself when I look inside the profile. So now the new glass panes were ready to move in. I bought a suitable rubber U-profile by the metre. From a purely mathematical point of view, it should fit. In practice, of course, it doesn't.

I have read many stories about how to fit the windows with new seals. In some cases, it was also recommended to use black sealer. But that didn't suit me at all. With a lot of liquid soap, it should work. But to get everything to fit, I had to pull the rubber properly. The rubber then became thinner and more supple and slipped into the frame relatively easily together with the window. I then cut off about 20 cm of excess seal at the joint. But so far everything has stayed where it should. After the frame was screwed together, I cut off the unevenly protruding gasket edge. Then the quarter lights were ready for installation.

IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7785.jpg
IMG_7787.jpg
IMG_7911.jpg
IMG_7913.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Very Nice Doc!

What are the dimensions of the Rubber profile you use?

I have used bicycle tubes in the past, sometimes with and sometimes without success...
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

The profile I used has the dimensons shown on the photo. Costs are 1,50€ per meter

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-10 um 13.31.47.png
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Hi Doc,

I didn't think you one second that you would have used my gash sealer method of fitting your windows. You are far too much of a craftsman for that :)

Excellent work as always :)
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

In the meantime, the foldable back seat has also been upholstered to match the front seats. The result pleases me so much that I would almost prefer to sit on the back seat. But as a 2+2 coupe, that means very limited headroom :roll: . So I make myself comfortable in the Microcell seats in the front. :D

IMG_7834.jpg
IMG_7839.jpg

Likewise, it was now time to install all the side windows to keep the fine interior protected. After a sliding window pane fell off during an earlier restoration and turned into crumb glass on the floor, I always pad the painted areas as well as the floor as generously as possible. If you don't need it, it's all good. But to this day I am still annoyed about the loss of the original pane with matching production date :cry: :cry: .

IMG_7922.jpg
IMG_7919.jpg
IMG_7926.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Exceptional work, as always.
phil82
850 Super

Post by phil82 »

Outstanding!
hanlminiman
1275 Cooper S
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Many years ago a Consultant trainer asked me to describe "What does good look like?" At the time I replied "No comment." Because I could complete an office refurbishment job on time, within budget and out of hours with no financial loss to the business. The result without fail was no response from the instigators of the project! ie "No Comment."
After seeing the Doc's work I would refer the consultant to this thread as this project really is "What good looks like."
Thank you Doc for all your updates. I hope I will be able to see it up close some time soon.
Cliff
morris-miner
998 Cooper

Post by morris-miner »

Doc, you are an inspiration to us all.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Now the time has come. From my point of view, the restoration and conversion of the Mini Saloon into a Broadspeed GT is now complete. All the work that now remains to be done is of an administrative and cosmetic nature. Maybe a few technical corrections or adjustments here and there, but in principle I call the project finished.

This is also urgently necessary, as in 3 days the Retro Classic exhibition will start in Stuttgart https://www.retro-classics.de/en , where the Broadspeed will have its official roll-out. Have fun with the photos, I definitely have it too. If you want to see my project in the original, I'm looking forward to a lot of visitors and nice conversations at the Retro Classic. Then the missing white Go-Faster stripe will also be on it.

3G8A8278.jpg
3G8A8282.jpg
3G8A8287.jpg
3G8A8284.jpg
3G8A8314.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project: