At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
Polarsilver
1275 Cooper S

Re: At The Auctions

Post by Polarsilver »

I see the Williams FW14B the Mansell Red5 F1car is up for auction at Goodwood .. i have the Poster on my Garage Wall from back in the day :)
mab01uk
1275 Cooper S

Post by mab01uk »

Harold Musgrove’s Mini Cooper up for auction
The 1995 Mini Cooper 1.3i owned by Harold Musgrove is going up for sale at the upcoming Brightwells Bicester Classic car auction on 10 April 2019. It was owned from new by the former Chairman of Austin Rover (1982-1986), and was taken to Rover Special Projects for final prep to make sure everything was spic and span before it was handed over to the then-ex-company boss.

The car has only 11,558 miles on the clock and and has a fully-documented MoT history. Harold Musgrove is 95 now and has not used the car much in the past few years, having covered just 3500 miles during the past 13 years. It’s MoT’d until February 2020 which it passed with no advisory notices. The auction estimate is £4500-6000.

It has a full leather interior, rosewood fascia and wider Minilite-type wheels. The car is finished in Tahiti Blue metallic with a contrasting white roof. The car lived at and was used sparingly from Harold’s holiday home in Cornwall. If you’re interested in having a closer look at this very interesting Mini, Brightwells is having an auction viewing day at Bicester Heritage on 9 April.
https://www.aronline.co.uk/news/news-ha ... r-auction/
iain1967s
1275 Cooper S

Post by iain1967s »

steve1071 wrote:There was a film crew making a series on old resto's and the Mini was one they were looking to feature. Before I knew it I was miced up and being filmed looking round the car. Loads of ammo for Rich if ever it makes the telly...….!

Cameraman said it will probably be called Bangers and Cash. Not a resto show, more about the find and auction sale. Low budget if they’ll put up with my mug on there.
“Bangers and cash” premieres this Thursday 18th April on Yesterday channel at 8pm with the Surf Blue ‘£20k’ derelict Cooper S (DPY160C) episode.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

swifty
1275 Cooper S

Post by swifty »

That's handy to know ... I've got a 64 970S . I havnt yet had to sell at auction but wouldn't rule it out . Does anyone know the figure the seller would have received after fees , approx .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s.

I am from Essex
ClassicCoopers

Post by ClassicCoopers »

Bonhams fees are 10% to seller and 15% for buyer
Hipwell
1275 Cooper S

Post by Hipwell »

~47k? but this car has been at 3 auctions in as many years. Seller would have taken a hit on it for sure.
nick@dunsdale
1275 Cooper S

Post by nick@dunsdale »

ClassicCoopers wrote:Bonhams fees are 10% to seller and 15% for buyer
Plus vat, hefty charges as a buyer
The best repairs go un-noticed
swifty
1275 Cooper S

Post by swifty »

Thanks . Not so good for the seller then . Cars that have been passed around the auctions a few times seem to get a stigma attached to them .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s.

I am from Essex
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I reckon that Auctions are like ebay, in as much as once a car has been seen to go through & not sell, it certainly acquires a bit of a stigma.

Usually totally unjustifiably, but the effect can be seen over & over again.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Yes the fees are huge. If anyone saw the Bonhams catalogue from this auction it's a thick tome and absolutely beautiful, must have cost a small fortune to produce, and not that necessary I'd say!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

Sellers are often able to negotiate with the auction house, especially if the reserve is fair, so the sellers commission can be massaged a bit. 'Headline' cars often have lower rates agreed, for example, or perhaps no reserve entries.

As Pete points out, catalogues are expensive to produce, and there is usually a cataloguing fee (covers the description writing, photography, as well as the on-site preparation of the car etc) as the auction house has these costs even if the car doesn't sell.

It can be a very effective way to get a good price, especially for a desirable car that is new to the market. Yes, if it isn't reserved appropriately it might not sell and then if that happens more than once folk will like to say "oh, it's auction fodder, there must be a reason it hasn't sold....." it's not always the case, more so for average cars that pass through from dealer to dealer, so it might be in a few sales, but not with the same vendor.

It always surprised me how many private vendors entered cars for auction but provided next to no info to help with the description (or clearly false info you couldn't actually use) and then delivered it without any pre prep or paperwork. Quite often they were the most surprised that their car hadn't found a buyer...... What are you meant to do?

If anyone wants to put a car in auction I'm happy to discuss the options - I'm still an agent for Coys, but also friendly with the guys at Historics (who I think have a nice looking 1070 in their next sale)

Al
ClassicCoopers

Post by ClassicCoopers »

One thing to bear in mind with bonhams is that if they put a low value on a vehicle as to help them maintain they’re selling record, you can’t put a reserve higher than the lowest estimate. So say they value a car at £50-£70k, you think it should be worth £65k going with the current market etc, they wouldn’t accept this higher amount and would set it at £50k, so you could end up getting less than you would have liked. Obviously this also applies to the much higher valued items which would be much more of a loss, then minus 10% for the sellers fee.
iain1967s
1275 Cooper S

Post by iain1967s »

1982 barn find pickup

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... -barn-find

Has a good chance of being covered on Bangers & Cash, according to the producer.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

ClassicCoopers wrote:One thing to bear in mind with bonhams is that if they put a low value on a vehicle as to help them maintain they’re selling record, you can’t put a reserve higher than the lowest estimate. So say they value a car at £50-£70k, you think it should be worth £65k going with the current market etc, they wouldn’t accept this higher amount and would set it at £50k, so you could end up getting less than you would have liked. Obviously this also applies to the much higher valued items which would be much more of a loss, then minus 10% for the sellers fee.
This isn't correct.

The vendor sets their reserve when entering the car into the sale (either as a Gross or Net reserve - i.e before or after commission) and then as a completely separate discussion the estimate is set. Sometimes the reserve is near the mid point, sometimes it's towards the upper end to 'protect' the seller, but get folks interested in the hope of bidding taking off. sometimes it's near the bottom, making a sale more likely as the car doesn't need to go so far into the estimate to sell.

There are lots of different views on the best route for each seller and car.

Also, sellers can reduce the reserve before the sale (and of course auction houses like this, as it increases the chance of a sale, and therefore earns them their commission. This does not effect the published estimate.

Best of all is no reserve, but a lot of folks are naturally wary of this, but it can actually get the price higher, as buyers know it's going to sell. You usually don't know if the reserve has been met until the hammer falls, unless the auctioneer announces it mid sale to get things moving

Al
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

Designed by Alec Issigonis in 1959, a new concept in car design was born. With a monocoque shell, transversely mounted engine and front wheel drive, the new 'Mini', as it was commonly known, soon became popular across a broad spectrum of the population.

Blimey, cheers for that. I never knew. :roll: :lol:

Who writes this shit?
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Post by Old English White »

I don't know who writes it but I think they were probably previously employed by an estate agent :lol:
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Barons have a couple of interesting cars coming up next week with fair estimates

First up a '61 Austin Seven in Speedwell Blue

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... seven-mini

and a low mileage two-tone '67 MG 1100

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... 7500-miles
jjc

Post by jjc »

What are people’s thoughts on how genuine this mini is?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1102971