1960s Cox GTM resto project

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
surfblue63

Re: 1960s Cox GTM resto project

Post by surfblue63 »

Pete wrote:I don't like the idea of Lotus colours anywhere near a BMC powered car, the Gulf Porsche colours also look really bad on a Marcos. Just sayin.... :?

What about the same scheme but in the Broadspeed Regency Red (or was it Regal?) with Silver on the tail and nose?
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

I'm not big on Gulf colours either Pete, plus that scheme has already been done on several GTMs, I'm keen on using a colour scheme not used before.

I like the idea of red/silver, sort of a flipped version of this car...

http://totalcar.hu/tesztek/2011/06/06/u ... m_meg_meg/

...we will probably end up painting the car so light/easy colours would be good.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

I like late 60's Aston colours on these cars, that looks nice but the stripes are a bit weedy?
tedmcedd
1275 Cooper S

Post by tedmcedd »

Yes it seems my original post of asking if you had thought about colour has gone! :lol:

I like the white and green stripes.... Also, really like the 576s in the grill of that silver and red one!
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

Some more progress this weekend. After a great day at the NEC on Friday I arrived home to a letter from the DVLA saying the logbook is on its way with the original reg number, great news as I now own a car not a lump of metal/plastic.

Spent Saturday with dad, a grinder and big hammer separating the tub from the top. We weren't sure how the two were joined together along the back sill sections as on other models we'd seen an open box section with access to bolts, the box section on mine was closed off. It turned out the top was riveted/stuck to a plate which was also riveted/stuck to the metal tub.

Now the top was out of the way we had better access to take snaps of the rear suspension and space to remove the gear linkage...

Next job is to get the welder out and sort those nasty holes....
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

Post by rich@minispares.com »

AndyB72 wrote:DVLA saying the logbook is on its way with the original reg number, great news ....
ive never heard of the dvla reissuing/issuing a v5c for a car that had never had one before without it having to be mot'd etc

I wonder if this is a change they have made recently?
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

It was registered in 1968 and must have been issued with a logbook as he ran it on the road for a few years.
I suppose I am applying for a logbook for a car where the previous owner has lost it.
Jack of all trades
998 Cooper

Post by Jack of all trades »

What about this for the colour;
http://newsite.frenchpix.com/racingtime ... ammond.jpg

That must be the 1150cc 1968 Cox car i think
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

Fantastic photo, do you have any more?!! I think that is the Howard Heerey race car. The colour faded from dark blue at the top, to purple, to silver at the bottom. Not sure our painting skills are quite up to that but its one to consider.
Jack of all trades
998 Cooper

I'm shure it's Heerey's racecar, there are two B/W pictures of it in Baggots "MINI the racing story". One is showing the rear-end with the text COX 1150 on the numberplate plint and three holes cut above it (you can see one in the colour picture.

As i only found the picture on the web, i don't have any others i'm affright.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

If it helps, I think the chap in the photo is working on a Chevron B8

Al
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Heerey also ran a Chevron or two, so that makes sense, he raced against my car a few times by the looks of it aswell. He turned up at Oulton a few years back when they had a Chevron Anniversary do.
Jack of all trades
998 Cooper

Can't be Heerey's as this is a B8 (closed cockpit) car Heerey drove a B9 monoposito.

If you look at the picture there are two DCOE Webers so the engine is most probably a BMW one and not the Ford with the downdraught carb that would have been on the F3 car.

I think the picture has the Heerey car on it more by accident than intended, the subject seems to be the mechanic.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

You're right Jack of course. I had seen Heerey in a closed cockpit so I thought, wonder if it was a test car?. There's a good breakdown of the B9s here for anyone interested : http://www.oldracingcars.com/chevron/b9/

Couple of Heerey race shots here: http://www.gtmownersclub.co.uk/GTM%20OC%20feature.pdf

Your car lived round the corner from both GTM garages didn't it Andy?
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Heerey must have been inspired by the Mako Shark Corvette concept cars

http://www.corvettes.nl/gm_prototypes/xp755/index.html
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

A bit more progress on the GTM, the subframes are now stripped and ready to be sent off for powder coating along with all the suspension parts. You can see in the photo that the front suspension donuts have been slimmed down to soften them, as per the build sheet, also both suspension knuckles on the rear have snapped which I thought was odd, looks like they've been like that for a while. The front had single leading shoe brakes which along with the steel trumpets points to the donor car being quite early. As the rear brakes weren't connected it must have been frightening to drive!!

Drums might have helped the car stop if they had drums :)

My nephew Oliver building his own GTM...

AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

It has been a long while what with a house move and various other projects on the go but here are some update photos.

The '1071' engine and gearbox have been rebuilt and stored away ready to fit. At the moment the tub is down with Chris and Tim at www.whights.co.uk having a few issues welded up and blasted.

Much needed strengthening added to the subframe mounts...

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Looking good Andy!

M
AndyB72
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyB72 »

A bit of black paint to protect it while the last bits of welding are sorted...

tedmcedd
1275 Cooper S

Post by tedmcedd »

Brilliant!

Nice to see it's getting some love!