Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
Peter Laidler
1275 Cooper S

Re: Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Post by Peter Laidler »

Another interesting piece about Doc's thread, especially this page, top, is that it shows just how malleable mild steel is. And as a consequence, why it's so good for press work. Reminds me of student projects where we had to plan and progress stuff - but NOT using mld steel!
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

ads7 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:25 am Stunning work on this whole project .. really though why does everyone struggle with fitting engine mounts?

Offside in first, used a flat blade screwdriver to jiggle around until full hole was aligned then fitted the bolt into a ring spanner with a little bit of cling film around the nut head to make it stick in there until I'd manoeuvred the bolt in and tightened the nut.

Used the minispares mounts without any welded on nuts.

Absolutely no delay whatsoever in getting these fitted.
Thanks for your feedback and your experience.

Regarding the engine mounts, I have spend hours in the past fiddeling the bolts into the correct position. I think its also a matter of the rubber condition, whether they slip in easiely or not. But maybe I just havn't found the right way to install them 8-)

During my last engine installation I struggled with the alignment of the holes for about an hour. And the mounts where already modified with selftaping nuts. I'm not sure how much time I would have spend with the bolts routing inside out.

I'm happy to hear others don't have problems to bolt the engine mounts to the subframe ;) .
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28477
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

In the meantime, the electroplating shop has also done its job and galvanised my small parts. Reassembly is much more fun, even if the small parts are in mint condition.

IMG_7098.jpg
IMG_7099.jpg

This is a good opportunity to see the difference in the brake pressure regulating valve between the Cooper S and the standard. With the longer spring, the valve closes later, allowing more pressure to reach the rear wheel brake cylinders.

IMG_7103.jpg

The old Lucas relays are also allowed to move back into their old, newly renovated home.

IMG_7122.jpg
IMG_7126.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

At some point, there comes a time when I have to hand over work. And that is the case with the paint job. I went through all the steps in my mind for a long time to make sure I had done everything that needed to be done before the paint job. But now the time had come to load up the shell and leave it in the care of strangers. As you can see from my choice of words, it wasn't easy for me. I was well aware that this was not going to be easy. But the fact that I had such a hard time putting the body, which I had spent well over 1,000 hours building and knew every welding point by first name, into the hands and responsibility of my chosen painter surprised me myself. In the end, however, I got over it. With the space I've gained in the garage, I can devote myself fully to the technology for the time being.

3G8A0310.jpg
3G8A0313.jpg
3G8A0315.jpg
3G8A0316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Daz1968
1275 Cooper S

Post by Daz1968 »

Looks fantastic, I know it’s hard to allow someone else to work in it, but at least you have the time to get all the parts ready for reassembly.
Peter Laidler
1275 Cooper S

Post by Peter Laidler »

Don't be away for too long Herr Docktor. How long will they need for painting the body? There is plenty to do and show us while the body is away.
641071S
Basic 850

Post by 641071S »

Guten abend metallbau-guru!
I have just spent the past two and a half hours reading through all your posts. I thought I was an averagely competent welder but to say that I am blown away and in awe of your metalwork and fabrication skills would be an understatement.
So typical of German attention to detail and problem solving. Sir, you are an inspiration, a true example of Vorsprung Durch Tecknik.
I cannot wait to see the finished car 👏
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Another huge step Doc!

A big wrench to let it go, but just think what it will look like when it returns!

I can't wait!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

Yes, it feels a wretch, but I am sure just as much care and attention has been put into deciding who would do the paint and prep as has gone into the rest of the work so far, so I'm sure the decision will be justified.

It will come back looking perfect, and you'll tell yourself that it's better than you could ever have done (and we'll all secretly think 'aye right, Doc COULD have done that because he seems to be some sort of wizzard!' :lol: )

But enjoy the change to the mechanicals for a while, and look forward to the return of a perfect surf blue GT! It's an exciting stage in the project

Al
Clubman gt

Post by Clubman gt »

Should have clear coated it and left it as is to show workmanship and skills
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Thank you for all your encouragement about letting the shell go. I now have a good feeling about my choice of painter. I have finally found a painter who understands me. Not only in terms of language, but also in terms of what is important to me in this paint job. Unfortunately, that didn't always work out with other painters in the past. And that unfortunately had a negative effect on the result every time.

With a week's holiday break, there is now also a new update on the mechanical work. Even though many parts are now available new, I am much more a friend of the old original parts. You rarely have to expect surprises, unless the parts are damaged. So it was time to overhaul the axle and brake parts. Remove rust in a white vinegar bath, check for damage, paint with etch primer and finally apply a solid 2-pack paint.

IMG_6933.jpg
IMG_6936.jpg
IMG_6940.jpg
IMG_6944.jpg
IMG_6947.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Great work Doc!

Like you i also think that nothing works better than an original part!

Keep on with the good work!

Btw: what vinegar do you use for the bath?
I promise i won't buy another MkI...
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Thanks Fabian. I just use some vinegar from the supermarket for about 80 cent per Liter. I tried to find vinegar with a high acid percentage. Actually, there is no specific vinegar I can recomend. Most of them work very well. And you can reuse them for quite a while. I already have a 5 Liter container filled with the mixture (vinegar/water) which I use since years.

I continued with the overhaul of the steering wheel and column. I have also dedicated myself to various axle parts and, with a good portion of elbow grease, refurbished them for further use.

IMG_6949.jpg
IMG_6957.jpg
IMG_6962.jpg
IMG_6967.jpg
IMG_6973.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Stunning quality work as always Doc! You are an inspiration.
UHR850
1275 Cooper S

Post by UHR850 »

Very good choice the Les Leston Grand Prix and yours is looking like new.

Kees
Last edited by UHR850 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

The MR registration code is near Frankenberg is it not? I went there to visit an old car dealer called Fred Koch probably 20 years ago - he had some amazing stuff.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Costafortune wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 pm The MR registration code is near Frankenberg is it not? I went there to visit an old car dealer called Fred Koch probably 20 years ago - he had some amazing stuff.
I'm sorry but I don't understand this comment :?:

The current summer again clearly shows how important a heating system is in a Mini. And so that it can do its job, everything has to be checked, overhauled and refurbished. In almost new condition, it can then move back into the footwell of the Broadspeed.

IMG_6992.jpg
IMG_7004.jpg
IMG_6996.jpg
IMG_6997.jpg
IMG_7108.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

MR is the car area code for Hessen/Marburg? You may or not have known the garage of Fred Koch not far away in Frankenberg (now gone) that had lots of interesting old cars.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Oh, now I got it. I was wondering what you mean with MR and Frankenberg. I thought about MiniRegister etc. but did not get the connection to the registartion of the towing car.
And unfortunately I don't know Fred Koch. I know another Koch-Family who is addicted to Minis in second generation already. But they are located in the Stuttgart area.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

To my delight, the painter has also been busy in the meantime. First of all, he devoted himself to the areas that are particularly painful to the fingers when sanding. So the underbody, the engine compartment and the interior got a solid coat of primer first. I then sealed the seams myself. I'm a burnt child when it comes to sealing seams. And then I got a foretaste of the final colour in these areas :D :D :D :D :D :D

3G8A0329.jpg
3G8A0332.jpg
3G8A0339.jpg
3G8A0344.jpg
3G8A0350.jpg
so long
the Doc

My previous project: