At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
Hipwell
1275 Cooper S

Re: At The Auctions

Post by Hipwell »

They had to put 18k to the seller? Bit like Del Boy, must have fainted.

Was not worth anything like that.
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

No it wasn't Matt ..... but it must have been to at least two people :?
App K
998 Cooper

Post by App K »

Holly shit £18k. :o
I know somebody who has very deep pockets and was interested..but £18k?

Why would you spend that kind of money on what basically is a pile of junk.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

not necessarily, the auctioneer can take bids against the reserve UP TO (BUT NOT BEYOND) the reserve.

If it had to go back to the vendor at £18k, you have to assume the reserve was £20k, which was crazy unless they took it in at that purely as publicity vehicle for the sale?

Al
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

To be fair to the auctioneer he made it very clear at the start the final bid had to go via the family and whatever it was always provisional.
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

steve1071 wrote:To be fair to the auctioneer he made it very clear at the start the final bid had to go via the family and whatever it was always provisional.
Surely it can only be provisional if it doesn't make the reserve Steve ?

I've been to a fair few auctions and never heard of the final bid having to be referred to the vendor in all instances - very unusual :?
spraybeateer
998 Cooper

Post by spraybeateer »

Most of the vehicles that sold under the hammer! were provisional, referred to vendor!
They had £10K on this before the auction :o
Entertaining! learning day :lol:
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Projects like that were going for round £10K a few years ago but not any more, original ones are just too hard to find. I mean a 1965 Cooper S in Surf Blue ticks alot of boxes, very rare to find. Original projects always seem to fetch more than the sum of their parts, the provenance is worth alot! That's the top end of what I predicted it would go for and I bet the seller of a very similar original car in Tartan Red (but MUCH better condition) who sold privately after it appeared all over Facebook a few weeks go will be kicking themselves for letting theirs go for half that much!
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Andrew1967 wrote:
steve1071 wrote:To be fair to the auctioneer he made it very clear at the start the final bid had to go via the family and whatever it was always provisional.
Surely it can only be provisional if it doesn't make the reserve Steve ?

I've been to a fair few auctions and never heard of the final bid having to be referred to the vendor in all instances - very unusual :?
It was a bit odd and never any mention of a reserve.
kit of bits
1275 Cooper S

Post by kit of bits »

You’d have to ask were the bids “of the wall” and there haggling after the auction!
D
Hipwell
1275 Cooper S

Post by Hipwell »

Pete wrote:I bet the seller of a very similar original car in Tartan Red (but MUCH better condition) who sold privately after it appeared all over Facebook a few weeks go will be kicking themselves for letting theirs go for half that much!
Any links to that don't think I saw it.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

It was on the Mk1 Mini group I think, hard to find now though! I saved a couple of snaps. It had all it's original docs, sales invoice from Wadhams etc. Great original car, sold due to berievment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

So I presume the '65 Surf Blue S had some old paperwork with it?
Costafortune
1275 Cooper S

Post by Costafortune »

Pete wrote:Projects like that were going for round £10K a few years ago but not any more, original ones are just too hard to find. I mean a 1965 Cooper S in Surf Blue ticks alot of boxes, very rare to find. Original projects always seem to fetch more than the sum of their parts, the provenance is worth alot! That's the top end of what I predicted it would go for and I bet the seller of a very similar original car in Tartan Red (but MUCH better condition) who sold privately after it appeared all over Facebook a few weeks go will be kicking themselves for letting theirs go for half that much!

Never underestimate the romance behind taking a car like an S or an E Type that is pretty much finished, and bringing it back to life. Anyone who has £18'000 for that has a lot more £££ to restore it.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Pete wrote:So I presume the '65 Surf Blue S had some old paperwork with it?
I understand it had the original bill of sale, some old MOT’s and the chassis plate.

There was even a round of applause after the hammer fell followed by loads leaving the room.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

I would think a re-issue of the original registration number would be pretty straightforward then. I dropped this story on Facebook earlier to a tidal wave of over opinionated crap from people claiming the buyer must be insane, had been ripped off, must be an idiot etc.. from people who obviously have never tried to find an original Mk1 S project in their lives, wouldn't know one if they did and have no idea how seldom they ever appear for sale, even as crispy as this one is. That'll teach me! :lol:
iain1967s
1275 Cooper S

Post by iain1967s »

Pete wrote:tidal wave of over opinionated crap
Facebook at its best :)
App K
998 Cooper

Post by App K »

This is what I don’t understand though
It’s an original rust bucket now...
Restored wth 90% new parts.. It becomes 10% original.

Or am I seriously missing something?

Im all for originality guys, but stop and think about it for a bit. If you have restored a mk1 mini which I’m sure lots of people have on here, you will realise the amount of original restorable bits you would have left on this car, which is not a lot.

Or has all the hype made it a super sought after, must have it kinda thing.

Makes it a £50K mini when eventually finished.
johnv
1275 Cooper S

Post by johnv »

Why did the seller not get the original reg back and complete the paperwork? Then he'd maybe valve got even more for it!
Mk2 1968 Cooper 998 TPL555F
Mk1 1965 Cooper 1275 BFC110C
Moke out of boxes and built NDV100F
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

johnv wrote:Why did the seller not get the original reg back and complete the paperwork? Then he'd maybe valve got even more for it!
The car was from a deceased estate, which might explain the provisional bids too.