At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Re: At The Auctions

Post by Pandora »

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Pandora wrote:Bonhams auction house sold - http://news.epiris.co.uk/linkapp/cmavie ... ~z~x~f~f~n

Al
Interesting sale!

I wonder what the motivation for doing that was. I would have thought that the former owners would have been happy continuing to ride what on the face of it looks like a money making machine.

Maybe all was not as rosy as it looked from the outside. Or maybe they were just stuffed with £50 notes until they couldn't take any more :)
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

Well, Robert Brooks says in the piece that it's always been part of the plan, but he must be at retirement age, I'd think. He bought Bonhams over, incorporating Brooks car auctioneers about 20-25 years ago. His original investors may simply want / be due their return on investment?

Maybe they were simply made an offer by a speculative group?

It's a big old business, so I'm sure it'll carry on with no noticeable difference.

Isn't Robert Brooks' wife a member of the family who own Christies? (I may be wrong on that though)

Al
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

rich@minispares.com wrote:fancy wanting to be like andy sparrow.....

https://mathewsons.co.uk/vehicle-auctio ... ini-cooper

Saw this one today. It's bad, really bad, no chassis plate and it's missed the DVLA computerisation. Nice and complete though. Can't even see the floor as it's full of pop bottles! Bloke showing it said 'it's on a pallet for a reason.....' Still think it will bring silly money.
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

steve1071 wrote:

Saw this one today. It's bad, really bad, no chassis plate and it's missed the DVLA computerisation. Nice and complete though. Can't even see the floor as it's full of pop bottles! Bloke showing it said 'it's on a pallet for a reason.....' Still think it will bring silly money.
The similarities are remarkable really....same year, same colour, missed computerisation and was stuck in a shed for 40 years (also with a collapsed roof for many of those years)....and hence as rough as f*** !!

There was a small article in Classic Car Weekly dated 5 September.

I suspect the price of this will however, not be similar to HOY :shock:

As for Rich's comment.............no comment :lol:
Last edited by Andrew1967 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Andrew1967 wrote:
steve1071 wrote:

The similarities are remarkable really....same year, same colour, missed computerisation and was stuck in a shed for 40 years (also with a collapsed roof for many of them)....and hence as rough as f*** !!

There was a small article in Classic Car Weekly dated 5 September.

I suspect the price of this will however, not be similar to HOY :shock:

As for Rich's comment.............no comment :lol:
I’m afraid Rich is right. It really needs someone like yourself Andrew that’s prepared to go the hard route and restore it by keeping as much of the original as possible. Otherwise it will be just another reshelled, fresh out of the box, Newton trimmed S.

They’ll make a cracking pair of twins!
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S

Post by Andrew1967 »

Yes, I wonder if the new owner will post up photos of the restoration like I am Steve ? I suspect not !

Did you see a registration number ?

Would I buy an 'unknown' basket case like that one, ordinarily .... probably not.

HOY was a 20+ year 'rescue challenge' and I consider myself to have pulled off quite a coup to get it. The current challenge is to save the shell, which is going pretty much to plan at the moment.

They would certainly make a cracking pair Steve 8-)
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

There is a reg number on the boot but looks to be very little else in terms of id. No chassis number but Mathewsons may have taken that off and the slam panel was gone.

There was a film crew making a series on old resto's and the Mini was one they were looking to feature. Before I knew it I was miced up and being filmed looking round the car. Loads of ammo for Rich if ever it makes the telly...….!
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S

Post by Andrew1967 »

Not that Rich needs much ammo to take the piss :lol:

What show was the company from ?

C or D reg Steve ?
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

Post by rich@minispares.com »

Andrew1967 wrote:
C or D reg Steve ?
lets have a little competition on what this car will sell for (hammer price)

i reckon 6-8 grand
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I reckon you are absolutely on the button. Certainly no less than £6,000
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S

Post by Andrew1967 »

Not that I'd pay it !!
Hipwell
1275 Cooper S

Post by Hipwell »

Gut said £6k, but its been well advertised, two happy bidders and 10-12k no problem, not that it can be worth that!?
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Andrew1967 wrote:Not that Rich needs much ammo to take the piss :lol:

What show was the company from ?

C or D reg Steve ?
C reg from North Yorks. Cameraman said it will probably be called Bangers and Cash. Not a resto show, more about the find and auction sale. Low budget if they’ll put up with my mug on there.

Auction house reckons £4K, personally think it will be double that.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

What was the trim like? Clocks? Engine? ( I presume totally fused!!), 333 box?. If it has its chassis number it has to be north of £10K even if the shell is totally gone, most probably well into the teens. Not often you will see a Surf Blue Mk1 S for sale and rotbox projects like this always go for more than they're worth in bits mainly because it's a blank (crispy!) canvas , it's an original car not some iffy restoration, (even if it won't be very original once it's been restored) and to many its the only way in to Mk1 S ownership nowdays unless you have a spare £40K+ in ready cash and prepared to drive all over the country for a couple of years looking for a decent Mk1 S with any kind of provenance. Plus as mentioned already, unlike a few years go, you can now get a "Mk1" shell straight off the shelf.

BUT : Unless the seller has some pretty old paperwork for it it'll lose it's number plate and if there's literally no chassis number or body number...then it's worth the value of the parts.
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S

Post by Andrew1967 »

Pete wrote:
BUT : ....... if there's literally no chassis number or body number...then it's worth the value of the parts.

Unless someone, and I'm thinking a certain Norfolk Ringer, has a logbook for such a vehicle :shock: :roll:
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

All the trim’s there but not sure much will save. The brocade felt rotten. It must have been pretty wet inside, even the heater front plate is rotten.

I’ve got a few pics but can’t seem to load them.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Interior
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

Nice optional oil cooler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coopertim
1275 Cooper S
Location: In the garage spending far more time and money than my wife agreed to! Lincolnshire UK

Post by coopertim »

Don’t think it sold? It’s in the October auction now.

Tim