At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: At The Auctions

Post by mk1 »

My gut feeling is considerably north of £40,000, maybe even £50,000 +

One owner cars that are unquestionably right & all there are VERY rare indeed.

Personally, I would rate it as more valuable than ANY restored Mini.
richardACS
998 Cooper

Post by richardACS »

mk1 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am My gut feeling is considerably north of £40,000, maybe even £50,000 +

Yes I tend to agree with you, shame that it has had a respray which has left the paint poorly blistered (unless its rain drops). It looks like it needs to be recommissioned to run well and left with all its patina....
richardACS
998 Cooper

Post by richardACS »

Does anyone recall an early 1071 in white with a black roof, it was for sale in 2020, unrestored and a runner with a start bid of 39k. I don't believe it sold and seemed to recall the car was in a place called Bungay. I've kept the ad somewhere but cannot find it! I wonder what became of it.....
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

This one has an early use of the cutaway front panel, May ‘64? Over a year gap before being registered in July ‘65 but I suspect 1071s weren’t easy to shift once the 1275 was announced? I’m gonna guess it’ll do £35k plus, just due to the bad repaint. I suspect it’s bound to be restored.
Simon776
1275 Cooper S

Post by Simon776 »

Somebody flagged DON up to me yesterday.

It is a nice thing but it does appear to have oversills on it, an uninspiring respray and has had some sort of happening at the front end on the right hand side.

Even so, I would not be surprised to see it go for the top end of the estimate.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not possess it.
Simon776
1275 Cooper S

Post by Simon776 »

This one has an early use of the cutaway front panel, May ‘64?
Pete, you might want to take another look at the front panel :!:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not possess it.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Simon776 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 am
I think that is called covering all bases :)

The paint is also very badly blistered. It will have to receive a bare metal respray.

Having had a much closer look at the pics I feel that my original estimate was a bit optimistic. Probably more like 35 - 40. I guess time will tell.

I'd certainly be happy to own it if I was looking for a Cooper S.
recc30947-1_6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Simon776 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 am
Oh yeah, 😆, what’s all that about?? Wonder if it’s had a shunt front O/S?

I did spot the wonky oversills and if they’re covering a whole heap of trouble then anyone looking to buy it is gonna be looking more and more at a restoration project than a preservation project.
Bitsilly
1275 Cooper S

Post by Bitsilly »

Gees, I hope I never have to try and sneak one past you guys!
Credit due, you certainly know more than the DVLA!!! :cry:
Peter Laidler
1275 Cooper S

Post by Peter Laidler »

A good example of '...all that glitters isn't gold....'
'S'-type
998 Cooper

Post by 'S'-type »

richardACS wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:15 am Does anyone recall an early 1071 in white with a black roof, it was for sale in 2020, unrestored and a runner with a start bid of 39k. I don't believe it sold and seemed to recall the car was in a place called Bungay. I've kept the ad somewhere but cannot find it! I wonder what became of it.....
I think that might be what came to be known as 'Rolex Bob's' car. It was up for sale at various prices for a long time (usually wildly optimistic). It was touted as one of the oldest 1071s in existence. It was the subject of much discussion but did eventually sell to someone who has posted on here but not heard much recently.
richardACS
998 Cooper

Post by richardACS »

Many thanks for that information…
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Unfortunately it looks like that S lost its originality back in the 1980's. It has a nice micro blistered 2k paint job, so it can not get away with being "preserved". Such a pity the exterior is not original like the interior. The front panel made me laugh, what other bodges could be lurking under that 1980's paint? As for value, what's a restored 1071S worth, look at the cost of what needs doing, and work back from there. I think the estimate is just about right, but there are still a lot of people about with money to waste just to say they have a 1071S in the garage.

Maybe in 5 to 10 years time it will reappear as a completely original car when it has been restored with a slightly faded paint job and some faux rust spots.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

A couple of lots in my local classic auctioneers sale this weekend caught my eye.

https://wbandsons.com/catalogue-23rd-ju ... lot-number

First up is a 1983 series 1 MG Metro. Looks to be in good original condition with 61,000 on the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUPwpkLetg

and second is this nicely restored mildly personalised 1967 Mk1 Cooper. Has the upside down door cards, but not much else to complain about. Even has correct 4 vent sills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC8JZRHqSNE

The videos uploaded by WB are pretty useful and not full of the BS that other auctioneers seem to use.
richardACS
998 Cooper

Post by richardACS »

Both cars are nice examples, the metro's one hardly ever see's one these days. I had a friend lose one back in the day, when the full fuel tank released some fuel which seeped back to the rear tyre - coating the surface and causing it to spin!
richardACS
998 Cooper

Post by richardACS »

Pete wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:22 am This one has an early use of the cutaway front panel, May ‘64? Over a year gap before being registered in July ‘65 but I suspect 1071s weren’t easy to shift once the 1275 was announced? I’m gonna guess it’ll do £35k plus, just due to the bad repaint. I suspect it’s bound to be restored.
I've never seen that cutout differ from side to side? (or is it a mod to cool the offside front brake disc :lol: or was it a Friday afternoon car for the staff discount scheme?)
mab01uk
1275 Cooper S

Post by mab01uk »

mk1 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am My gut feeling is considerably north of £40,000, maybe even £50,000 +

Rare low-mileage 1965 Mini Cooper S that's had the same owner for 56 years and been stored in a GARDEN SHED in Kidderminster for three decades could fetch £32,000 at auction:-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... ction.html

Some quotes below from the Mail article comments section... :lol:

The 'DON' numberplate will also be worth a bit on it's own to some buyers....
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

Someone is doing a good job of building a storey......remarkable, the Daily Mail has picked it up, still makes a change from reports on house prices and illegal immigrants... :)

Re that last comment about twin tanks, just this last week had someone at a well known Mini restorer look surprised when told not all Ss have twin tanks.....
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Those comments do nothing to dissuade me of my long standing opinion on the intellectual prowess of your average daily mail reader :lol: :lol:
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

A couple of possible bargains at Barons this weekend.

This Mk1 Countryman looks cheap with an estimate of £4,000-£5,500. Looks tidy with original interior. Only two lady owners.

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... countryman

Second is a cheap way into small wheel Moke ownership. a 1970 car from South Africa. Body looks a bit beaten up, looks like it has a couple of plastic school chairs in the back, but the guide is £4,000-£7,000. Ideal for those hot summer days we are having up north these days.

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... -mini-moke