At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Re: At The Auctions

Post by steve1071 »

It looks like a late entry so not many will have viewed it.

What do we think it will make?
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Post by Old English White »

Shall I start then :?
I'll say 6 grand because that is at least double what I think it is really worth.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

It will get bid to 6 grand, not meet reserve and then get sold after the sale for 10 grand.
steve1071
1275 Cooper S

Post by steve1071 »

That’s me out then!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

That is normal practice in any auction. The auctioneer's sole aim after all is to sell the car and make money.

You can't sell it for less than the agreed return to the vendor (well you can, if you are prepared to take a hit out of the buyers commission to make up the reserve)

But it's in the auctioneer's interest to get a sale, so of course they note the high bidder and then afterwards negotiate with the seller to see if they can agree a deal. If it doesn't sell, the auctioneer makes no money (but still has their costs)

If a car is rolled over to the next sale it's because the vendor hasn't been prepared to lower their price / expectations, as is their right of course, but still wants to sell. I'm not aware of any auction house that would not first try to do a deal with the current interested party(s). That's in the best interest of all parties - seller, buyer AND auction house / middle man.

And yes, it's the same reason auction houses try to get sellers to lower their reserves before the sale. Some folk see it as a hard sell tactic, but then are happy to negotiate afterwards, which is a much weaker position when you car has just not sold......

So knocking down provisional sales is not always a reflection of the auctioneer, per say, but more of over hopeful sellers and / or low interest from buyers in the room. You can't NOT sell a car that's met the reserve in the hope of making more in a future sale, OR bid it a penny beyond the reserve if there is only one bidder (and even that's a bit of a grey area)

Al
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

But then are some of the sellers not guided by the auction house as to the value of the car and set their price according to what the auctioneer has advised? I know we do not see the negotiations on the TV show, but it appears to me that some of the vendors do not have the slightest idea of what their car is worth.

When looking at the Mathewsons catalogue there are many lots which do not have a guide price. In most auction houses this can signify a No Reserve sale, but at Mathewsons it indicates the following:
Submit Best Bid – The highest bid at the fall of the hammer will be submitted to the vendor.
Suggesting that the sale will be negotiated after the sale for a higher price than the item was bid to.
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

surfblue63 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:22 pm But then are some of the sellers not guided by the auction house as to the value of the car and set their price according to what the auctioneer has advised? I know we do not see the negotiations on the TV show, but it appears to me that some of the vendors do not have the slightest idea of what their car is worth.

When looking at the Mathewsons catalogue there are many lots which do not have a guide price. In most auction houses this can signify a No Reserve sale, but at Mathewsons it indicates the following:
Submit Best Bid – The highest bid at the fall of the hammer will be submitted to the vendor.
Suggesting that the sale will be negotiated after the sale for a higher price than the item was bid to.
Yes i saw that and thought how odd it was, is that really an auction ?

So you bid on a car but dont know if you have won it!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

You'd be amazed how many, often very intelligent, rational sellers don't take the advice of the auction house who know the market.

It's a commercial business, the auction house has to make money and folk quibble about the 'high' commission rates but don't think of the costs involved, the wages, the venue, the advertising (and the experience) and want the price they see in dealer' adverts as the reserve. Where do they think these dealers buy the stock? do they always get full asking price? do THEY do it for love? who pays their transport, storage.........

I genuinely felt a lot of vendors thought the entire commercial network that underpins the classic car scene / industry thought we should all be doing it as a public service to enthusiasts (who I'm sure were also hoping their hobby would turn them a profit and not cost them over the course of their ownership).

It is not a part of the job I enjoyed. The showroom side, or perhaps just our customers, though just as commercial a venture was a little more open and educated for want of a better description. I think that maybe the difference that it was a more office based negotiation, rather than the rushed few moments on the rostrum made all the difference. Both sides were involved concurrently

I'm not familiar with any other auction houses running what amounts to a blind auction. I suppose it's another means of sale, but not sure how they hold the vendor against just saying 'thanks but no thanks' if they don't have a reserve (i.e. a contract) over at best a 'what I'd like to consider'?

Odd

Al
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

Maybe making the programme has be more lucrative than getting a sales commission on a car ?

They need a certain amount of cars to make the programme, got to be easier to persuade potential sellers to put lots into the auction, if they can pick and choose if they sell at the end …
Aginley
998 Cooper

Post by Aginley »

Pickup made £7200 plus commission
woodypup59
1275 Cooper S

Post by woodypup59 »

Exminiman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:56 pm Maybe making the programme has be more lucrative than getting a sales commission on a car ?

They need a certain amount of cars to make the programme, got to be easier to persuade potential sellers to put lots into the auction, if they can pick and choose if they sell at the end …
Add on £35 for a bidders card.
woodypup59
1275 Cooper S

Post by woodypup59 »

Did anyone see what the black Moke went for ? Lot 244.
Hippo
Basic 850

Post by Hippo »

11750 plus commission and vat.
1968 Cooper
1964 Pick up
Hippo
Basic 850

Post by Hippo »

1968 Cooper
1964 Pick up
Pete
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pete »

Exminiman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:56 pm Maybe making the programme has be more lucrative than getting a sales commission on a car ?

Mathewson’s didn’t even try to sell me that red misdescribed Mk1 S (GT engine) that I went to “view” (couldn’t actually get inside it!), I think the TV thing has gone to their heads. Arrogance didn’t cover it!
App K
998 Cooper

Post by App K »

Just sold a car through them. No hassle whatsoever.
I want to sell…they want to sell it. That’s how it works isn’t it.
66Traveller
1275 Cooper S

Post by 66Traveller »

Is it me or does that have the wrong sunvisors for a 1965 car (also no clips or holes on the cant rail). Also the wrong mirror? The chassis plate still has the protective plastic on it too...
Exminiman
1275 Cooper S

Post by Exminiman »

66Traveller wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:55 pm
Is it me or does that have the wrong sunvisors for a 1965 car (also no clips or holes on the cant rail). Also the wrong mirror? The chassis plate still has the protective plastic on it too...
Dry
Andrew1967
1275 Cooper S
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Of course it depends on when it was actually built not registered
66Traveller
1275 Cooper S

Post by 66Traveller »

Andrew1967 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:29 pm Of course it depends on when it was actually built not registered
It does indeed. But if it was built in 64 it would have the early sun visors with the central chromed bracket (which it doesn't) - it has the 66 on type....