GRX 55D

An archive of info on the Works Minis originally started by the late Graham W Robinson.
hanlminiman
1275 Cooper S
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Re: GRX 55D

Post by hanlminiman »

Looking at the 1966 images today appears that the bumpers did not comply either but the French missed that. How much weight did that save? :lol:
LMM76C
998 Cooper

Post by LMM76C »

I've often wondered about that - even back in period when I spent ages studying Appendix J instead of getting on with school homework. Group 2 certainly allowed removal of overriders but I don't recall Group 1 doing so. Most private entrants seemed to keep them in Gp1.
It's not straight forward because the version of 66 Gp1 available today on the FIA site may not be the original of 66. For many years 66 was only available in French when most other years had become available in English. Another problem is that then individual event regulations could add some things to the basic Appendix J.
Without pouring over a copy of the French text of the 66 event regs (which then had priority over any other language version) it's almost impossible to check but I would not be surprised it no one noticed (just as no one noticed Hardy Spicer couplings were not in the papers).
hanlminiman
1275 Cooper S
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

"even back in period when I spent ages studying Appendix J instead of getting on with school homework."
Sadly, I did the same while at school in early 1965 after the Mini's 2nd Monte win so had to resit some of my GCEs to get a job BUT it did mean that I could go to the start of the 1966 Monte Carlo Rally in London before I started work at the end of the month.
Failed the Art GCE exam as the image of my bicycle was "too technical." And also my English exam because my "Rally Service schedule" narrative was "too technical."
During my career I wrote many technical instruction manuals! Hey ho!
I did pass my French exam in 1965 but too late to translate the 1966 Monte regs. As an aside, I follow the Historique MCRallye and discovered this year that to succeed one should read both the French and English AC Monaco websites. (maps especially)
Cliff