'64 Aussie Morris 850

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Re: '63 Aussie Morris 850 - Rebuilt 1098 Running & Driving!

Post by roger mcnab »

hi timmy
you must have the largest collection of rocker covers around
well i have given up on minisport oz as every time i order parts it never happens so i decided to go to the guy i got the mini off aus mini spares in newcastle at least he rings back the same day so i should get this thing moving soon
your car looks great well done
cheers roger mcnab :D
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Thanks Roger :D

My rocker cover collection is only at about 5 at the moment. I sold all my alloy ones earlier this year and only had a couple of factory tin ones left! Unfortunately they are getting a bit expensive to collect on a whim

A “Sports” one like mine recently sold on eBay Aus for $350 which I thought was insane & the most expensive one I’ve seen sell here :shock:

My usual supplier is Karcraft. They have the best prices and I always get them delivered the next day
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

September didn't start too well. The engine started making a strange noise on the way home from work and then wouldn't start after I pulled over to check it

The first check was a compression test - cylinders 4&3 were about 60psi, and 2&1 were above 180psi (the gauge was dropping a bit when I stopped cranking). This definitely sounded like a gasket blown between 4&3. There was a fluttering noise was when testing 3&4 - I'm guessing this was the sound of the air going between the cylinders and not out the right way

Yep - definitely blown! Also looks like a leak out from #1 towards the water pump..

After cleaning it all up and adding in a new gasket (lucky I had a spare of everything in the garage) it all looked pretty good.

One thing that didn't work after getting everything back together was the electronic module and the Accuspark blackbox ignition advance unit. I think I might have got a wire crossed when trying to get the car started on the side of the road, so I ended up back on some points (apparently the stronger Cooper S ones)

Now that I had disconnected the blackbox advance unit I needed to get the mechanical advance working again. I cut the tie wires and reinstalled the springs and it should have all been fine... I checked the timing and it was spot on, and the idle was very smooth - the only problem being that I had no advance when I revved up the engine. I pulled it all back out again and found that the advance cam was not rotating at all. Once the spindle was out of the distributor body it took me a bit of time to slowly lever off the advance cam - it was stuck really hard with a combination of solidified grease and rust. Next it was all cleaned up and greased, now it moved smoothly and everything worked as it should. One thing to note before you pull off the advance cam is the position of the drive gear - it is possible to put it on 180 degrees out which is a bit of a pain when you try and start the engine!

I did an oil change, checked a bunch of the things that I'd messed with in the last few weeks and took it for a decent drive around town to check everything was working as it should. It seemed to drive even better than before, I'm not sure if previously the gasket was on the way out, the timing now is better or if I'm just not used to driving it but it was a bunch of fun

It was nice to finally have it outside again so I gave it a good clean

I've finally bought a disc brake front end too! It's all genuine Cooper S parts, so all decent stuff

The calipers have got scrubbed and they’ll need new seals and some stainless pistons. The hubs look great, ball joints are genuine BMC ones and they just need shimming and greasing. The bearings are Timkens and also look really good and just need greasing
52FF8ABA-BB26-4568-A7B5-D557E2E2D752.jpg
The CV joints looked ok & I got a new pair of Rover boots, so just need greasing too. The discs and pads are a bit thin and will need to be replaced
FFB73225-8DFD-41DC-90A4-58ED959A9414.jpg
Once that’s all sorted I’ll need to get the right rear brake cylinders so that the brake bias is correct, and sort out what I’m going to do for wheels...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Re: '64 Aussie Morris 850 - Rebuilt 1098 Running & Driving!

Post by timmy201 »

Thanks to Moita I was finally able to fix my original indicator stalk! You can see how mine had been fixed in the past by my grandpa. Not his best work :)
EDB6D545-61EB-4FD6-9161-6FB96663FC26.jpg
The red wire needs to get unsoldered from the column end, then the old broken bit gets removed and it all comes out. Next is a quick clean up of the end of the stalk and the electrical contacts
569F20DA-EF00-4E84-BEDE-F72A8642C661.jpg
The plastic end is pressed on first, then the spring and the bulb holder. The wire gets resoldered and then it’s ready to go!
AC6D5531-42DB-4BDF-A0CA-051B9D3F4EB4.jpg
I’ve bought the majority of the parts (I think) I’m going to need. New discs, Green Stuff pads, stainless pistons and seals, wheel studs etc. I was able to inspect the rear wheel cylinders and they are already 5/8” which means they don’t need to be replaced to suit the discs
1CBBAD3F-95A6-431B-9E60-5AFDBFEA8CE7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

So with the disc refurb progressing along I needed to think about the wheels. My criteria was:
10"
No flares
Take 165 wide tyres
No grinding of the callipers
No wheel spacers
Fit under guards to meet Aus regulations
Essentially this came down to a choice of 2 styles - Cooper S Steels or Minilite style wheels.

I was ready to order the new wheels on Tuesday, but just before I completed the order I got a message from a local mini guy saying that he had some wheels I might be interested in... They were essentially exactly the same wheel as I was going to buy - just they have the older type wheel caps. Of course I was interested so I went up to his place this yesterday afternoon and got these:
IMG_4614.jpg
These are some Minispares Minilife wheels in 10x4.5, silver with the machined lip. One thing I really like about these is the stainless nuts and washers, which means the wheels aren't chewed up by the nuts overtime you tighten them. They're in awesome condition and I'll end up swapping my A008's onto these wheels as they only have about 1000km on them
IMG_4611.jpg
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi timmy
you certainly have an interesting time with your mini those new wheels look great your car will be different to drive with the new bits on it i am slowly making progress with my mini but i have been spending lots of dollars on a triumph t100 engine for one of my motor bikes but need to get back on to the other projects i was going to do a bit to the unipower body plug but my saw bench motor died so i needed to get it out if you think minis are hard to get engines out try this one hard is not the word i have had this motor out a few times in the past and it is a pain but this time i cut the front panel out so it slides out now instead of lifting the heavy sod over the panel will weld some lugs on so it can bolt back in
well cheers roger
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Always great to follow your progress.

Those wheels were like a present from the Gods.

Did you ever work out why your head gasket had given up?
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

roger mcnab wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 am hi timmy
you certainly have an interesting time with your mini those new wheels look great your car will be different to drive with the new bits on it i am slowly making progress with my mini but i have been spending lots of dollars on a triumph t100 engine for one of my motor bikes but need to get back on to the other projects i was going to do a bit to the unipower body plug but my saw bench motor died so i needed to get it out if you think minis are hard to get engines out try this one hard is not the word i have had this motor out a few times in the past and it is a pain but this time i cut the front panel out so it slides out now instead of lifting the heavy sod over the panel will weld some lugs on so it can bolt back in
well cheers roger
Thanks Roger! Good to hear you're still busy with all your projects :D
mk1 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 am Always great to follow your progress.

Those wheels were like a present from the Gods.

Did you ever work out why your head gasket had given up?
Thanks Mark

I certainly was in the right place at the right time to score those wheels!

I'm still not 100% on the head gasket. It was a standard minispares gasket, which probably wasn't sufficient for the high compression. It's also bored +080 over std, so the gasket was overlapping the bore between 1&2 and 3&4. I need to try and get a better quality gasket (I think I'll try the Victor Reinz) for a spare in the garage just in case.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I finally had a day to work on the disc brakes :D . First job was a tidy up and guess what - I found a workbench hiding in the corner of the garage!
IMG_4884.jpg
First mini job - rebuild the disc calipers with new seals and pistons
IMG_4885.jpg
You can see the poor condition of the old pistons, one was completely stuck and needed to be pushed out of the caliper with the grease gun. There is a new stainless one on the left for comparison
IMG_E4889.jpg
This went very smoothly - both calipers were done in about an hour
IMG_E4891.jpg
IMG_4895.jpg
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Shimming the ball joints was a bit time consuming. I reshimmed the existing ball joints as they were still in good condition and they are the nice hard original type. I ended up with plenty of old MOWOG dust covers, and they are still in good condition after 50+ years, so they are going back on.
IMG_4898.jpg
I assembled the new CV's on the bearings and checked the preload was within spec. They were all OK, so I fully greased up the bearings and installed the dust seals. I then assembled everything to check it all fitted OK and everything looked great.
IMG_E4902.jpg
The last step was to give the calipers a final coat of paint.
IMG_E4904.jpg
And finally double check the clearance to the new wheels
IMG_4908.jpg
IMG_4909.jpg
I just have to hunt down a couple of small things before I fit them to the car. Fortunately/unfortunately there are no mini events planned for the next couple of months, so I've got plenty of time to get it all sorted
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi timmy
i hope that you had a safe christmas and the new bits have come up well it is amazing what you find after a bit of a tidy up and how many things vanish as a result of the tidy up so while looking for missing bits a mess is created moral do not tidy up
cheers roger
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

roger mcnab wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:39 am hi timmy
i hope that you had a safe christmas and the new bits have come up well it is amazing what you find after a bit of a tidy up and how many things vanish as a result of the tidy up so while looking for missing bits a mess is created moral do not tidy up
cheers roger
Thanks Roger, one advantage to the clean up is finding where all the tools have ended up! That seems to be half the battle when working in the shed!

I haven't had much time again to work on the car recently, but as I'm always on the hunt for parts I found a pair of PBR brake boosters for sale for a bargain (cheaper than the exchange price on a rebuilt one). The VH44 PBR unit is made in Australia and replaced the Lockheed unit on the later local Cooper S. I'm planning on stripping them down and seeing what needs to happen to get one working, if all else fails I'll exchange it for a refurbished one. This is assuming I want to have a booster - I've never driven a disc car without a booster so it'll be interesting to see if I like it with no booster
51E97D45-A148-48D6-B60C-7E3E917DDB53.jpeg
This rocker cover came up for sale for a decent price (and I'd sold my last couple of alloy ones) and it's one of my favourite designs so I decided to finally get one. It's made in Sydney by S J Dunn & Co. It's got a bit of patina to it, but it came up pretty nice with a clean. The vertical breather port made the hose hit the bonnet, so an alternative was needed
IMG_5164.jpg
After learning about BSP threads, I was able to track down a 90 degree fitting for the breather and it looks great!
IMG_5242.jpg
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

We had the first MITG drive of 2021 on the weekend. The weather turned out surprisingly nice despite the forecast, and we had a decent turnout too! We had a nice run out to Camberwarra Mountain Lookout for coffee
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG
File_003.jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_001.jpeg
70K1100

Post by 70K1100 »

Timmy, that is a great photo of your mini.
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi timmy
i have not been to that lookout for about 40 years that is a long time it was back in the day when we went every in the old hillman with the kids
i have been draging the chain a bit on the mini got side tracked on a triumph motor bike engine and spent heaps
also need to get into the uni project as got lots of bits for it like 4 down draught webers rover engine 1800 gearbox windscreen frame etc
well keep up the good work
cheers roger :D
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

70K1100 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:21 am Timmy, that is a great photo of your mini.
Thanks!
roger mcnab wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:41 am hi timmy
i have not been to that lookout for about 40 years that is a long time it was back in the day when we went every in the old hillman with the kids
i have been draging the chain a bit on the mini got side tracked on a triumph motor bike engine and spent heaps
also need to get into the uni project as got lots of bits for it like 4 down draught webers rover engine 1800 gearbox windscreen frame etc
well keep up the good work
cheers roger :D
I wish there was an extra couple of hours a day so I could actually make it to the garage! Sounds like you’re busy as usual too!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Thought I'd add this photo from a "Cars and Coffee" a few weeks back. Front and centre was a rare RHD Muira SV
4B16D7C7-F2ED-456E-9BB0-FE7C0BD8C613.jpeg
I had a chance last week to start the disc brake conversion. Heres one last photo of the car on the Contessas and the drums
IMG_5409.jpg
I started at the back end of the car. I'd already checked and confirmed the rear wheel cylinders were 5/8" so I just needed to add the longer wheel studs and wide drums.
IMG_5556.jpg
IMG_E5561.jpg
The extra step on the left rear side was to replace the wheel bearing with a tapered one (I'd ready done the rear right one).
IMG_5563.jpg
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

At the front I started on the LH side and it all came apart really easily. This had all been apart during my time driving this car - previously the wheel cylinders, shoes, ball joints, CV joints and wheel bearings had all been replaced.
IMG_5574.jpg
There was grease coming out from the wheel bearing, so it looked like the right time to change it. You might also be able to see the date stamp inside the drum, they all were dated 1963 so most likely have never been changed
IMG_E5575.jpg
Bit of a difference between the old crusty parts and the new clean parts!
IMG_E5576.jpg
One good tip I picked up was to use some vice grips on the inner part of the driveshaft so that the pot joints don't come apart when you try and remove the CV from the driveshaft. They came off really easily, it helps that they were changed when I installed the engine in 2019. The other good tip was to use the brake line pinch tool, this stopped all the fluid coming out during the swap
IMG_5579.jpg
All assembled now, ready for bleeding and torquing up the CV
IMG_5585.jpg
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

A little progress today, I took the wheels and tyres over to a local shop and had them swapped onto the minilife wheels. The tyres only had about 3000km in the last 12 months since I bought them.
IMG_5701.jpg
All look great on the car!
IMG_5719.jpg
You might nice the missing caliper - it's the last thing to be installed on the RH side, along with the new CV
IMG_5709.jpg
They need a clean up to remove the tyre goop, and all the mud needs to come off the body from the last MITG run
IMG_5710.jpg
IMG_5721.jpg
Peter Laidler
1275 Cooper S

Re: '64 Aussie Morris 850 - Disc Brakes & New Wheels

Post by Peter Laidler »

Been following your thread and contributions for ages Timmy. Don't forget to keep the original 850 splined drive hub (shown a few photos back) if it's in good condition because as shown by our Ozzie brethren Spider, these can easily be converted to suit the standard but unloved (don't ask me why.....) 998 Cooper hub. And if you're considering fitting the disc shields then I wouldn't bother unless it's for aesthetic reasons. Technically, thermally and mechanically, they serve no useful purpose. Except they prevent someone from touching the hot disc, from behind.
Pete the Pom, Australian Army 1967 - 70