Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Re: Time lapse full metal Broadspeed GT restoration/transformation

Post by Pandora »

As a former (or should that be failed?) designer, I know just how hard this process is, not only to do, but to do well, symetrically, and above all, to end up looking 'right'.

To be perfectly fair, when I saw you were doing it straight to metal, without an overall buck, I was amazed, and more than a little sceptical of your chances.

Oh, cynical me. You are doing an amazing job. Keep it up.

I've shared before the 'journey' (AKA nightmare / headf*ck) that was involved with a car I helped out with, the Okrasa Special, a VW based creation that a pal took on and was creating a period style body, but tried to do it full size on the car with very mixed results. Even once I convinced the to do it in scale model form first,, then us a buck, and have a professional and highly skilled team of body builders create the dody, I'm still far from proud of the finished product, or at least the bits I did, they lost so much in the process (and I was working from a distance, which never helps)

So, as I say, amazing work, and just goes to show, if you know what you are doing, and mor eimportantly how to tackle it in the right order, the end results will be worth the effort.

Al
morris-miner
998 Cooper

Post by morris-miner »

Another update on an already fantastic thread, oh to have such skills.
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Again, I'm thrilled by all your positiv feedback. Thank you so much :oops:
mk1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm Oh how I wish I had 1/3 of your ability :)
@Mark,
I'm pretty sure you and many others have the full ability to do so, you just haven't activated your dormant abilities yet ;)
Pandora wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 pm When I saw you were doing it straight to metal, without an overall buck, I was amazed, and more than a little sceptical of your chances.
@Al,
I know my way is not typical for coachbuilders. During my planing I only focused on this Broadspeed shape without any knowledge of the traditional way. I'm still a rookie in body shaping and I only did 3 full Mini restrorations including body works within my 30 years of Mini time. I'm sure others have a lot more experience either because they did more restorartions or are professionals anyway.
I decided, before I learn the full new language I concentrate just on the important sentences for the upcoming communication. That's why I would totally struggel to do similar tasks on another car or shape. That also means I just know what I'm doing theoretically but I'm definitely not sure about it. But until now, everything is going the way I expeceted or planed it 8-)

My "skills" just base on an apprenticeship as aircraft engineer with the age of 17, three long term Mini restorations within 30 years, 2 weeks training course how to work on the english wheel and several youtube clips about metal shaping. That's it.

So I'm also a mortal member, and I'm sure many others would be able to do a project like this. It just needs the courage to start it :roll:
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28477
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Absolute stunning work! 8-)

So I'm also a mortal member, and I'm sure many others would be able to do a project like this. It just needs the courage to start it :roll:
[/quote]

That's exactly what i think. When you never start, you will never make mistakes, learn about them and begin to become better and better...
I promise i won't buy another MkI...
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

During the process of forming sheet metal I learn a lot about woodworking and other materials. I never expected that before. Anyway, if this is the way to go, I’ll go it :D
Building the buck for the quarter panels was a quite obvious task and basically came about by itself. The buck of the top tail was a little more challenging, as there are two curves to combine. The slight curve under the rear window across the width of the body from left to right and curve in opposite direction between window and tail. As long as you still look into a deep hole of nothing, this is hard to imagine. I started with a wooden frame for the substructure. I continued from the middle of the rear screen sawing the first panel, followed stepwise by the panels left and right.

IMG_5864.jpg

As the top tail buck was ready and aligned with the quarter panel bucks I really struggled with the C-pillars. To imagine the three-dimensional shape of the C-pillar was beyond my fantasy. Especially while looking into the deep hole again. But carving the shape seemed a lot more realistic to me, rather then sawing panels. That’s why I chose polyurethane foam. I sprayed 6 cans of it roughly into the form I needed. I expected that PU stuff would expand a lot more. :roll: Then I carved it with an electrical kitchen knife. After that my lack of imagination was restored. 8-)

IMG_5866.jpg
IMG_5870.jpg
IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Clubman gt

Post by Clubman gt »

What is the rear window out of
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

Nice ass 8-)
AustinSe7en
850 Super

Post by AustinSe7en »

Looks to me like a genuine 1970’s kitchen knife 😆
Outstanding workmanship there! I applaud you sir.
So what rear screen are you using?
morris-miner
998 Cooper

Post by morris-miner »

More amazing work there Doc, I hope you're going to wipe the blade off before you carve the Christamas turkey !!!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

rather than expanding foam, which is unpredictable and doesn't give you any datums you can control, I use open cell Polyeurethane foam sheets which come in a variety of thicknesses (and weights / densities) so they are easier to build up and carve to shape. Cheaper insulation sheets can be used, but they tend to rip when filed, and the PU doesn't react with filler if you are making a plug for a mould (which most of my work was geared towards)

You can buy the sheets from GRP suppliers, they are often sold as surfboard blanks

Al
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

I like to use the technique to form flat metal bars. That way you can tack them in position and if not good always take them out and change the shape...
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi doc you are heading in the right direction using the foam was the best way to go as a carriage builder we had to use solid wood blocks glued in place then attack it with draw knives compass planes and heaps of glass paper to get the end roof profile on the old wooden carriages mind you red cedar was easy to work and to think that 20 years later most of these railway carriages were burnt :evil:
well that is progress
cheers for now roger mcnab
kevs 1961 mk1
850 Super

Post by kevs 1961 mk1 »

thought youd like thisImage
long time gone
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Hi Al and Fanfanracing,

thanks for the usefull tipps regarding forming complex shapes. That will help me with future tasks.

@Kevs
That's a lovely photo, thanks. It showes the Australien Broadspeed on the way to the racetrack.

As there is already some interest in the source of the rear window. Its custom made according to the calculated original dimensions and shape. To have it available in this early state helps a lot to find the right shape for roof and tail.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
kevs 1961 mk1
850 Super

Post by kevs 1961 mk1 »

found this too you may be interested in it cheers http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... eed_gt.pdf
long time gone
Dr.Mabo
998 Cooper

Post by Dr.Mabo »

Since all buck elements for the tail are done, I continued with forming the quarter panel extension. With the buck in place I took a paper-sewing pattern of that area. With that on hand, I cut the panel and started shaping. The seams where easily formed with hammer and dolly. All other shaping was simply done with the English wheel only. These two panels are the only pieces without using a hammer on the surface at all, just wheeling.

IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5938.jpg
IMG_5939.jpg
IMG_5887.jpg
IMG_5889.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
so long
the Doc

My previous project:
Fanfaniracing
1275 Cooper S

Post by Fanfaniracing »

WoW!!! just great!
java gt
998 Cooper

Post by java gt »

Fantastic workmanship as always Doc,love to see the updates coming through.I just wish I had a fraction of your metalworking talent.
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi doc
well it is looking great a credit to your patience when you get it finished you will be able to say i did it my way and proudly drive it around you could start an order book and do well
cheers roger mcnab :D
Old English White
1275 Cooper S

Post by Old English White »

Beautiful work. Beautiful shape :D