'64 Aussie Morris 850

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Re: '63 Aussie Morris 850

Post by timmy201 »

Sergio37 wrote:And what about the Rose Petals ? will look perfect in your beautiful car ;).
As much as I like the rosepetals they are double the price of most other wheels and we aren't legally allowed to use wheel spacers unless they were fitted at the factory.

You might have seen from this thread that I had a lucky bargain find on eBay last week. A Les Leston Grand Prix wheel, which is unusual to find in Australia in any condition.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20339
It looked pretty good when it turned up! It does need some TLC - there is a ding in the wood, some small cracks, metal to polish, etc but it should come up alright.
It even happened to have the correct boss kit for a mini which was unbelievable :D
I wasn't sure when I bought it to sell it on or keep it for my own car. Seeing it in the car has made my mind up - it's got to stay now!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

A few better photos from this afternoon with the nice camera.. I went for a short drive and the wheel feels really nice to drive with.

timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I had an issue last weekend on a drive where the engine cut out. I tried to start the engine again and the battery was completely flat. The old Australian 15ACR alternator had died (although it was 45 years old) so I managed to do the rest of the drive with no charging system after swapping batteries with someone at lunch. It was replaced yesterday with an upgraded unit, I also put in a thick cable back to the starter switch under the floor to handle the additional charging power.

We had a car show on this morning and it's all working fine again!

timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I went up to a swap meet the other week and picked up a couple of things.
The HS4 air filter case has been on for a couple of years, and now finally has the adjustable snorkel on the end
I thought the wheels were interesting and came at a pretty good price too.
They have a decent fit on the car, the wheel nuts will need to be sorted (the ones in the photo have the wrong seat on them)
graham in aus
998 Cooper

Post by graham in aus »

I like those wheels! something different for sure!

Your car keeps on evolving... Great stuff....

:geek: :P
Mini's don't rust................Downunder!
850GT
Basic 850

Post by 850GT »

Those Amos wheels will look great. keep up the retro evolution of this great car.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

graham in aus wrote:I like those wheels! something different for sure!

Your car keeps on evolving... Great stuff....

:geek: :P
Thanks!
850GT wrote:Those Amos wheels will look great. keep up the retro evolution of this great car.
Cheers!

It'll be interesting if I can get the Amos wheels on the car, I hadn't seen any in person until I spotted these at the swap meet.

The black rocker cover I picked up a few weeks ago turned out to be a Rover item, it still had remnants of the Japanese decal on the top. It turned out to be the perfect candidate for a crinkle black coat. I took the paint off with a wire brush and gave the inside a quick coat of engine black. The crinkle paint always goes on nice and glossy, and takes much longer than you think to crinkle up..

It looked great this morning after it'd crinkled and dried. All the Aussie rocker covers I have use a longer oil filler tube which means the chrome oil cap sits really high. This one looks much nicer.

I had to take off the old cover anyway to fix up the cork gasket, it had been leaking pretty bad. It makes me think I should pull out the wiper motor and horn for a similar coat.
Nick W
1275 Cooper S

Post by Nick W »

I managed to take the wiper motor body off leaving the main part still bolted in place, as I didn't want to take the dash panel out.
I've never been able to do the crinkle paint as good as yours look :roll:
Some powder coat company's can now do an excellent job....
Up North in Sheffield
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Nick W wrote:I managed to take the wiper motor body off leaving the main part still bolted in place, as I didn't want to take the dash panel out.
I've never been able to do the crinkle paint as good as yours look :roll:
Some powder coat company's can now do an excellent job....
That might be a good idea, I don't really fancy removing the whole wiper assembly!

I follow this guide (which matches the small print on the can), I think they key is the temperature. At 8PM that night it was about 25 degrees outside and hotter in the garage! I think mine doesn't look as good as the ones in the link, and I ended up with a smooth spot (on the backside luckily). Next time I'll try thicker coats and see if that helps.
http://www.build-threads.com/general-ca ... ure-paint/
Ronnie
1275 Cooper S
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

I am not 100% certain but I believe that the factory fitted were all like a Hammerite finish usually bronze and I believe that the B90 were all black wrinkle finish :?: :?:
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I've recently bought a "fresh air" style heater for the car. These were standard on the Aussie automatic cars (Morris Mini-Matic) and optional on the Deluxe models. I thought it'd be nice to have a little bit of heat in the car and having some form of demisting for the front window would be nice too. It should be easy enough to install and adds in some extra cooling capacity through the additional coolant volume and the heater matrix. 
I hadn't really had a close look at one till this one turned up, they are really simple, just a couple of pivoting flaps inside and the heater matrix. The outer case will need a repaint as its a bit scruffy (the heater matrix is removed in these photos)
A quick diagram of how it works.. On the "cool air" setting it directs fresh air from the front of the car into the cabin. The hot air is directed out the side of the unit.
On the "hot air" setting the hot air is directed into the cabin and the fresh air is blocked off. It's very simple and there is no fan to push the air through!
The heater matrix looks to be in good condition. I flushed it through with tap water this afternoon and it came out nice and clear from the beginning, with no chunks or nasty bits coming out. It needs a small repair to the top corner as there is a small leak
It should fit in about here, but the coil and horn will need moving (and maybe some other things) and I need to find or make a lower bracket for the inner panel.
Here is a photo of one installed for reference http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=131722
Last edited by timmy201 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

We made it to another MITG show and shine, which is the 6th one I've been to! It was running really hot too, and I think I've finally got that sorted out..

When I hooked up the inlet manifold a while ago I used the heater take off on the top of the head and fed the coolant through the manifold and back to the bottom radiator hose, just like how a normal heater is plumbed in. What I didn't realise at the time was that the hot coolant flowing from the top of the head was going straight back into the block and bypassing the radiator completely. The fresh air heater being plumbed in here means it'll be cooling the engine instead :D

I took the heater core in to get repaired and pressure tested. The corner got patched so it's now watertight too!

I then thought I'd start to get the fresh air heater box installed. The first problem was the front top bracket was interfering with the bonnet stay bracket. I'd never noticed before that they moved this during production, on later cars it's further back and in the middle of the two brackets

The next thing to figure out was the bottom bracket. There is a rubber clip the same as the bonnet stay holder on the inside of the bonnet. This clips to the modified u-bolt

I started drilling at the top and lined everything up and installed the lower bracket

The front bracket was removed and then I bolted it on a bit further back so it now misses the bonnet stay bracket. A quick coat of paint made it look a bit nicer

And now assembled with a new layer of foam to seal the heater core

And here it is installed and filled with coolant. I ran it up to temp and there's no leaks so far, I'll need to take it for a test drive sometime to make sure it's all working as it should

I still need to figure out a final position for the coil and horn and then work out the plumbing for the air from the heater box to the inside of the car, and also mount the heater cable

I've got some plastic demisting vents to go in and hopefully a reasonable way to control the air.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

We had an overnight trip to Sydney on Friday and we were able to track down my parent's old house from the early 80's
And this is from 2018

I went onto to the Minikingdom Online show on Saturday (late enough to get a park on the grass out the front) which is held at the shop, there was well over 100 cars there and around 300km round trip over the 2 days

You can see in the photo above the Speedwell grille buttons I've installed. There is something satisfying about opening NOS packets and installing them onto a car!

I picked up some dark green engine paint from the shop while I was there (along with some other parts). The 850 and Cooper engines in early Aussie cars were this colour ex UK, before changing when they were assembled locally. My plan was always to use this colour for the 1100 engine, I gave a spare rocker cover a test coat to check the colour was OK.

Some original green on some engine parts:

Here is my stash of parts for the head. I got a new stud kit, double valve springs, spring collars and stem seals. The valve caps and collet retainers will be a used set from my spare 940 head. I think I'll be using the standard rockers, but I'll get the tips refaced

I'd noticed quite a bit of oil building up in the air filter housing recently from the tappet cover breather. It looked like the oil had been getting into the carb too, which isn't the best.

I got a baffled oil catch can from the local parts shop which looked like it would fit.

It just squeezed into the corner next to the wiper motor, and just needs two lengths of hose. Who knows if it'll do anything but if it stops any oil getting through the engine it'll be a bonus.
AndyPen
1275 Cooper S

Post by AndyPen »

I do like the look of your car, it sits nicely on those rims ;-)
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

AndyPen wrote:I do like the look of your car, it sits nicely on those rims ;-)
Thanks!
roger mcnab
998 Cooper

Post by roger mcnab »

hi timmy 201
you have a nice little mini there you certainly picked up a lot of parts over the time you have had it i had one of those early ones in the 70 s but sold it along the way but last year i bought the 72 clubman the heater for it fits under the shelf below the speedo
i am in the middle of fitting the rover v8 in which is a bit of a challenge no pictures of the front sub frame to give a bit of help a lot of work to go as it had no front on it and was gutted with all the bits piled inside
lucky that there was only a small bit of rust in the floor the guards were shot as they were chopped of the best part is the wiring loom is all lose except for the grommet for the body no wrapping at all
slowly it is taking shape and should look nice in a few years time and with some luck i might still have a licence to drive age comes to us all sooner or later
cheers roger mcnab :)
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

roger mcnab wrote:hi timmy 201
you have a nice little mini there you certainly picked up a lot of parts over the time you have had it i had one of those early ones in the 70 s but sold it along the way but last year i bought the 72 clubman the heater for it fits under the shelf below the speedo
i am in the middle of fitting the rover v8 in which is a bit of a challenge no pictures of the front sub frame to give a bit of help a lot of work to go as it had no front on it and was gutted with all the bits piled inside
lucky that there was only a small bit of rust in the floor the guards were shot as they were chopped of the best part is the wiring loom is all lose except for the grommet for the body no wrapping at all
slowly it is taking shape and should look nice in a few years time and with some luck i might still have a licence to drive age comes to us all sooner or later
cheers roger mcnab :)
Thanks Roger.

I spent the day inside with the man flu and decided to start polishing the steering wheel. It's not perfect yet, it needs a bit more elbow grease but it's showing promise. The wood rim will need looking at next, and then the boss will need a bit of work to bring it up to scratch!

Before
After
Before
After
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I've been out on a few runs recently, one to a car show up the mountain
The next run had a stop for coffee at Bald Hill then a drive through the Royal National Park
And a short break on the way home to an orchard

I picked up some parts today from a swap meet. The best find of the day was a pair NOS Australian (1964 only) 850 seat covers. They are for the bases of the front seats.
The front seats of my car have both had the bases replaced with some generic vinyl so it'll be nice to replace them with the original covers!

The rear ones are all original so they'll all match now.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

The good news is that they match the trim pattern and colour exactly.
The backs of the seats now look really dirty, so I'll see if I can clean them up.
And a close up of the pattern
jay weinstein
998 Cooper

Post by jay weinstein »

What a find!
Seats look great.