'64 Aussie Morris 850

Images & stories about our current projects, cars, engines & all sorts of other stuff.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Re: '63 Aussie Morris 850

Post by timmy201 »

I got a new side mirror. It's a Raydot replica, which were also called Downton mirrors.
The door looked like this with the old mirror removed. I'll get another rubber grommet to block up the second hole
And installed
It bolts into the front window catch

The new diff gears and pin have been installed into the diff cage.
The crown wheel and bearings were done next.
I also cleaned up the diff housing and regreased the shift mechanism.
The remote extension was pulled apart, cleaned up and regreased too. I had to use a replacement extension as the old one had stripped the thread for the gearshift locating pin, and there shift rod had a bit of wear in it too.
While it was apart I also cleaned and regreased the gearshifter. It has a nice smooth action now when moving through the gears.
The outside of the engine is getting a quick spruce up while it is out. A lot of the paint had already peeled off the engine block.
The camera phone doesn't capture the colour like it looks in person. I was a bit lazy with the masking so there is a little overspray to clean up :lol:
It took me a while to get the diff shims all sorted (mainly because it took me an hour or so to finally find a set of feeler gauges) but I got there in the end.
The diff side covers and shift linkage were installed and it all moves smoothly. I've still got to get some nuts for the output flanges to bolt the Hardy Spicer joints in.
Two photos from last night..
Still a few bolts and bits to put on yet!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I got the radiator back in and the engine mounts done up (a whole afternoon's work)
After a couple of hours work the next day we were getting closer...
And it's all back together and running now!
And then last weekend we made it hassle free to the garage at our new house. Ran really well too!

Charlynsane
1275 Cooper S

Post by Charlynsane »

A red engine on a mk1... as for me it's not a good choice

but you have a very nice car!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Charlynsane wrote:A red engine on a mk1... as for me it's not a good choice

but you have a very nice car!
Well it was red before I got it, and the local store only had one green in stock and it was hideous!

I'm going to get some of the original looking paint when I get my 1100 engine built up. I think mine would have originally been BMC green, as it is a UK engine. They were also painted a greeny goldy colour later on.

The 850 engine in mine would have been like this I think
http://bmcexperience.com.au/issue-18/mini-k.html
The 1100 engine I'm going to use would have been like this
http://bmcexperience.com.au/bmce-issue12/navy-mini.html

http://bmcexperience.com.au/issue-18/mini-k.html
InimiaD
1275 Cooper S

Post by InimiaD »

Good to know the repairs / mods are completed and the Mini is back on the road. 8-)
Vegard
1275 Cooper S

Post by Vegard »

timmy201 wrote:
The new diff gears and pin have been installed into the diff cage.
I told you to change the planet gear washers!!!!!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Vegard wrote:I told you to change the planet gear washers!!!!!
I know, I know :oops:

I asked around a bunch of guys here and they all use the pre A+ ones like this. I'll definitely get the diff on my upcoming 1100 engine machined to accept the A+ ones as it'll be putting out double the power of this one.. I also needed the car back on the road and out of our old house asap.

Speaking of the upcoming 1100, I've recently picked a 4 sync 22G1128 remote gearbox casing. They were fitted here to our Mini K and Cooper S Mk2. 
I've got a couple of good gearsets in rod changes boxes that should swap into this one..
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I took the car in for a spur of the moment annual registration inspection yesterday and it passed with no problems. All good for another 12 months of mini driving :D

One of our new neighbours (I don't know who though!) dropped off some old magazines for me too!
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I had another flat tyre after the last month when I drove the car, so it was time for a change. I ordered in a new set of A008's for the Contessa alloy wheels and had them fitted up.
I took the car out for a run through the local country roads and it drove really well. I hadn't driven it for about a month and it really put a smile on my face!
The alloys (fitted with 165 A008's) are 1.5kg lighter than the steel wheels (fitted with 145 Falkens), and ride and drive so much better. The bare wheels are under 3kg each, so they are really light!
The wheels and tyres will need a clean to make them look nice and shiny...
I also got a set of switch extenders for the interior
Last edited by timmy201 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Great work!

"It has a nice smooth action now when moving through the gears."

I wish I could say that about even 1 of my cars :)
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

mk1 wrote:Great work!

"It has a nice smooth action now when moving through the gears."

I wish I could say that about even 1 of my cars :)
I might change that to "nicer smoother action". It's a lot better than before, but there is still a little slop

I seem to have a thing for SU carbs...

I've got a bunch of wing nuts for the airbox, but only the far left one fits through the lid. I'm still trying to work out which ones to fit or if I need to get some different ones.
Last edited by timmy201 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I managed to use up half a tank of fuel today.. Didn't get anything productive done, but it was fun!

Last edited by timmy201 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Looks like an absolutely beautiful run.
OzyBrick

Post by OzyBrick »

Looks like Jamberoo Mountain, road to Kiama

Neil
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

Top to bottom is:
Swamp Road
Macquarie Pass
Jamberoo Mountain Rd
Jamberoo Rd
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I got a new steering wheel in the post last week..
It is a Mountney Classic in 15" and a matching boss kit.
The MG logo was the best of the two options in the box, but I'll get a mini one to replace it
Before
During
After
The new wheel feels very nice to use, looks great and isn't disintergrating and leaving black marks on my hands like the old wheel. I'd call that a success! I went for a drive to celebrate
Last edited by timmy201 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I bought a hi-lo kit and had a go at installing it last week.
I started on the right side and it was very straightforward, except for the nylon cup in the arm which took ages to get out. Here's what was left
Here is the right side done.
The left side was a bit of a hassle as I had to get the drain valve out of the bottom. Luckily mine had been trimmed short enough to get a socket on as otherwise it would have been a pain. It's tucked right up near the rear exhaust hanger..
I got the drain valve off and the fuel was only slowly dripping out, so I slid the tank over and put the valve back in.

The rear cones on both sides are in pretty good nick too, they still have glossy paint! They will need replacing at some stage as they're the original Moulton/Dunlop ones
The left nylon cup came out in one piece, along with a bunch of ancient road dirt and mud from the subframe
I then had to move the tank back over and secure it in place. I undid the drain valve again, but this time the slow drip had turned into a fast stream. I ended up draining the tank completely as I couldn't get the valve back in from the bottom without getting covered in petrol...

I pushed the car out to give it a quick wash to get rid of the spilled petrol and I heard a little scrape
The exhaust is now scraping on our tiny driveway! It needs some adjusting to bring it up higher without arcing on the starter button..

Here are some photos of the car all cleaned up for the "All British Day", which was a hot sunny day (how un-British) with plenty of nice cars

timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I haven't updated this in a while, last month I collected an 850 gear change for my 4 sync box. Hopefully it all goes together fine.
I decided to paint my rocker cover with some crinkle paint. It was originally blue powdercoat before I bought it..
But I got it like this with the paint stripped
I followed the guide here http://www.build-threads.com/general-ca ... ure-paint/ The paint is supposed to go on nice and thick and it gives a nice glossy finish. Nothing seems to happen for an hour or so (long enough to think you stuffed it up!)
But eventually it started to crease up and look like this. When the paint has cured properly I'll shave the paint off the top fins and letters similar to the photo at the top
When my grandfather gave me the car a couple of years ago one of the extra parts that came with the car was an old Butlers spot light. I thought it was pretty unusual as it had "BMC SPOT" stamped in the lense and it mounted through the front grille.
I managed to find a little info on them, and they originally came as a Fog and Spot pair. I'd been looking out on eBay for a long time trying to find another one.. A few came up at around £200, but that was way out of budget! Until one came up recently for £10 BIN
I was fortunate enough to get some help from Dr S to get it posted over. Luckily this one is the "Fog" and completes the matched fog and spot set.
The lamp is fastened through the front grille using the rear bracket.
Here they are installed on the 850 grille. One problem with them is they make the grille a bit unwieldy to remove and install without scraping up the paint..
These were actually BMC Approved Accessories, which explains the BMC stamped on them.
I've also got some centre caps for the alloys. I found some at the wreckers on a Ford Fiesta. The old logos were removed and they were cleaned up.
I made up some new logos, unfortunately the red didn't come out quite right, but they look OK for the moment. I might make another set of logos when I get a chance
The car is a bit dirty recently, I've been driving it too much to bother keeping it clean :)
Last edited by timmy201 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmy201
1275 Cooper S

Post by timmy201 »

I've been doing a little work on the planned 22G1128 4 synchro gearbox. It was partially disassembled when I got it, and I've since pulled it apart completely to check it out. Some of the teeth were looking a little worn and the baulk rings were a bit stuck. Luckily I had some rod change boxes with the same gear set in to borrow some parts from...
I'm hoping for enough good bits to rebuild the remote box!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

This car just gets better & better!

Well done.

m