Part of a steering rack

Looking for that elusive part, shout about it here.
Forum rules
1) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden.

2) If I consider any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of this simple request I reserve the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

3) Please try to avoid starting discussions or commenting on peoples Wanted listings. It clutters the section up & makes it difficult to see what people are actually asking for. Please feel free to start discussions in the appropriate section.

Rev 1.2 (16.09.20)
Peter Laidler

Part of a steering rack

Post by Peter Laidler »

WANTED as a result of InnoCooperExport recent steering article

6" of the left-hand end of a knackered / worn / bent Mk2 type steering rack (rack only), to include the centralising pin hole part I would like to investigate the possibility of filling/topping up the Mk2 rack in-situ through the centralising pin opening.

Anyone got such a thing. Don't want the whole thing, just chopped off beyond the hole will be perfect. Postage will be refunded of course plus acknowledgement if successful
nick rogers

Re: Part of a steering rack

Post by nick rogers »

It will be on its way to you this week, Peter.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Peter.. will be good to know the effect of your research as in the past i have tried to add oil through the central alignment Bung hole with a Oil Can to find that fresh oil will go in but only as a very slow process due to air locking .. then the question for me is how much Oil does a Steering Rack hold or even need ?
we will await your investigations.
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

Hello ,

the recommended amount of oil is 200ml.
I’ve used EP140 oil , so far so good .. no leaks at least ! 🙂

Cheers
Luís
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

For the interest of this article and the pm conversations following on, you'll be interested to know that with help from Nick Rogers and others, you CAN fill AND top-up the steering rack with hypoy oil very successfully without detriment to the strength of the rack assembly. But only after a very slight modification. Alas, it is pretty obvious, it can only be done with the rack removed.

The article for the Tech pages is being written up as we speak. But definitely worth doing while it's apart for re-bushing or a general overhaul