Original minilites

Looking for that elusive part, shout about it here.
Forum rules
1) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden.

2) If I consider any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of this simple request I reserve the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

3) Please try to avoid starting discussions or commenting on peoples Wanted listings. It clutters the section up & makes it difficult to see what people are actually asking for. Please feel free to start discussions in the appropriate section.

Rev 1.2 (16.09.20)
Charlynsane

Original minilites

Post by Charlynsane »

Hello Guys

I'm after 4 or 5 magnesium minilites for my friend's Cooper s mk2, or original alloy minilite

Let me know

Thank you

Charles
Last edited by Charlynsane on Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Original minimises

Post by mk1 »

What size are you looking for? 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6" etc.

If you are looking for 4.5 then the Minispares alloy version is a MUCH better bet than original magnesium ones.
Charlynsane

Post by Charlynsane »

Hello Mark

I'm looking for 4,5 or 5

It's for a very nice French S mK2

My friend would like to get as close as possible with period parts, or the 70,s Alloy version could be great as well
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

mk1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm What size are you looking for? 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6" etc.

If you are looking for 4.5 then the Minispares alloy version is a MUCH better bet than original magnesium ones.
Just to say that whilst I have original minilites, I don't altogether trust the old magnesium. The Minispares ones are almost identical so I'd side with Mark on this.
Charlynsane

Re: Original minilites

Post by Charlynsane »

Hello Andy,

Magnesium of original tech del fabrication is a good solution as well

But as you said Minispares repro's are great
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

What I have done on a couple of occasions is get the Minipsares wheels blasted with very coarse grit, sand the rims back so they are smooth, getting them cleaned up on a wheel cutting machine would be even better, then I applied a layer of silver paint. Doing this makes the MS ones indistinguishable from the original mags.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I know for a fact that the Mini Spares Minilife/ST Alloys are direct copies of original '60s magnesium wheels - there's an amusing story attached, obviously.
Metric is for people who can't do fractions.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

The porosity in the original magnesium means they can rot from the inside - typical mini problem then. ;-) NDT techniques these days help to show up the issues, so buyer beware and all that.

I actually had a mag wheel crack on my RS500, hence my cautionary words ;-)

Here's the direct comparison I made in an earlier post.

https://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... 8&start=10