Mk3 double skinned bootlid...

Want to sell something? Here's the place to list it for free! (DIRECT SALES / SWAPS) No ebay links please.
Forum rules
For Sale Section Rules

PLEASE NOTE! Postings in this section are deleted automatically after they have not been looked at for 30 days.

1) This section is for advertising items that you have for sale. Not for the discussion of listed items. If you wish to debate the pro's & Con's of any item listed, please start a new topic in the appropriate section.

2) Please DO NOT post links to your ebay auctions. This section is NOT for the advertisement of your ebay auctions.

3) If you have a number of items to sell, post them in a single ad marked "Multiple Parts" or similar. DO NOT post many individual advertisements as this forces everyone else's listings down the page.

4) It is expected that any items advertised on the forum are described fairly & honestly. It is the duty of the seller to ensure that this is the case.

5) Items listed for sale should WHEREVER POSSIBLE* be offered with a purchase price, not asking for bids from members. If you wish to auction your item to the highest bidder I would suggest you use ebay & pay the associated fees.

6) This section is offered as a free service to enthusiasts. Any deals made are between the buyer & seller only. The MK1 forum takes no part in any transaction & the appearance of any item in this section is not a recommendation. I strongly suggest that both buyers & sellers are happy to proceed with a deal before any money or goods change hands.

7) It expected that people posting items for sale are "Active Members of this community". Any Adverts placed by members with a post count lower than 5 will be deleted.

8) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden. Any member breaking this rule will have his membership terminated with immediate effect.

9) If a moderator considers any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of these simple requests the MK1 Forum reserves the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

10) The posting of items for sale on the MK1 forum constitutes explicit acceptance of these simple rules.

11) Members posting items for sale MUST include a rough location in their profile.

It would be much appreciated if sellers could leave the sale price on adverts after the item has been sold. This acts as a good measure of current value for other sellers.

* In some cases it may not be possible for the seller to list items with a sale price. In this case, listings will be reviewed on a case by case basis by a moderator. The moderators decision will be final.

Mark S Forster
(MK1 Performance Conversions)
Rev 2.10 (06.10.20)
WMU 211G

Mk3 double skinned bootlid...

Post by WMU 211G »

Bought from snoopy64 a while ago and now surplus to requirements - double skinned by who knows sometime in the past, £90, prefer buyer to collect....

BOOT#1.jpg
BOOT#2.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]BOOT#3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

1992 Maserati Biturbo 430 2.8 litre V6
olddave

Re: Mk3 double skinned bootlid...

Post by olddave »

Bit like my defecated Mk2 double skinned one :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

That's weird Dave!
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

olddave

Post by olddave »

WMU 211G wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:31 am That's weird Dave!
Not pretty, it's not that bad otherwise
DSC04697.jpg
:?
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Is that blue/black lid not one of the boot lids as used on the last Mk2 Coopers?
:?:
WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

surfblue63 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:15 pm Is that blue/black lid not one of the boot lids as used on the last Mk2 Coopers?
Could be Stu.
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

Striped shirt

Post by Striped shirt »

Hello.
I had a mk3 1000 H-reg that had a double skin lid, mk3 one side, double the other. The car was an ex-RAF Police car.
I understand that the last of the MK2 used these and they carried them over for the bit.
mini1973

Post by mini1973 »

Were the double skinned boot lids used MK 3 Cooper's?

Thank you
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

The very last Mk2 Coopers and S's, in the Mk3 type colours did indeed use a bit of a hybrid boot lid. Made as follows
Mk2 ribbed inner with NO access to the inner sandwich part of the lid
Mk3 style number plate pressing as opposed to the 'shaped' number plate recess
Mk2 hinged number plate backing plate with number plate light attached to number plate.
Number plate light cable goes into inner void through central grommet hole approx aligned with the hinge brackets.
Boot lid has 6 holes , 3 on each side with captive nuts/weld nuts for number plate bracket.

In the past I had simply discarded the hinged number plate stuff and bolted the number plate directly to the boot. I tried to do the same on my brand new Jan '70 Glacier Mk2 and discovered that instead of using the standard black plastic nuts and bolts, I'd have to use long BA screws to clear the gap between the inner and outer skin.

NOT a good idea because you couldn't tighten them because the two skins would distort/pull inwards PLUS, the small BA screws were too small for the former black plastic number plate bolts in the Stewart and Ardern ally number plates.

Pre stick-on adhesive number plate sticky tabs so I eventually trepanned a couple of 1" dia holes through the inner skin opposite the already drilled holes which solved the problem and allowed the plastic nuts and bolts to be used.

That's why the owner of RRX xxx H has a strange boot lid!
mini1973

Post by mini1973 »

Interesting.

Thanks 👍