1071S 4420 PF .....It might be alright but.....

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
bryan

1071S 4420 PF .....It might be alright but.....

Post by bryan »

I restored this one owner, low miler OEW/Black roof 1963 Austin 1071S back in the 90's, and sold it to a dealer a year or two later who told me it was being exported to Japan.

Ive just been asked by the DVLA to confirm I am no longer the owner. I feel a clone coming on...

Im happy to inspect it if anybody is considering buying it. I know all its details and will be easily able to tell if its the real car. DVLA dont seem interested......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SMOKE GREY

Re: 1071S 4420 PF .....It might be alright but.....

Post by SMOKE GREY »

Bloody hell, that looked a belter :shock:
coopertim
Location: In the garage spending far more time and money than my wife agreed to! Lincolnshire UK

Post by coopertim »

What a little STUNNER!! :o Find of a lifetime that!

Tim
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Doesn't appear to have been officially exported so may or may not still be here....

Vehicle enquiry
The enquiry is complete.
The vehicle details for 4420 PF are:
Date of Liability 01 01 1997
Date of First Registration 06 09 1963
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1071cc
CO₂ Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
Pete

Post by Pete »

Andrew1967 wrote:Doesn't appear to have been officially exported so may or may not still be here....
That's the important part of that sentence ! Some Cooper S's that have been exported are now coming back to the UK (I can think of a Radford recently) who's logbooks were 'removed' before export, ie they were exported either with an 850 ID or non at all only to find they have a twin still registered over here. A pal of mine from Liverpool got a similar letter to yours Bryan when somebody applied for the logbook on his own 1071, and when they're told by DVLA that the car is tucked away in an owners garage the applicant can just make some excuse up and walk off unchallenged and unpenalised. Worth chancing their arm then eh ? :roll:

Great reg by the way ... :D
bryan

Post by bryan »

Thanks guys. It was a real beauty, and I kick myself for selling it of course.
I guess with the Yen having weakened over the past 6 months against Sterling cars might start to come back from Japan?
Anybody know of one returning ?
If they start to come back in numbers, the shit is going to hit the fan.....
970s

Post by 970s »

I think the 1071S is still in Japan, some old photo in local magazine!2006?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Holy Clones Batman!

When my green 1070 appeared on Heartbeat many years ago, some Twat tried to apply for it's log book almost immediately after transmission.

As Pete says, there are no sanctions whatsoever on these logbook thieving Bastards. The thing is that every now and again they apply for a book & it will just be issued to them without any questions.

M
1071 S

Post by 1071 S »

"..When my green 1070 appeared on Heartbeat many years ago, some Twat tried to apply for it's log book almost immediately after transmission."

So how does that work??? Do they just use the logbook to export the car. If they sell the car in the UK would not the duplication become obvious when the new owner (attempts to??) transferr ownership??

I'm pretty sure that my old UK rego docs (green log book??) had my name and address on them. My Oz docs do and I would certainly not buy a car from someone who didn't have their names on the cars documents.

Cheers, Ian
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Its like a lucky dip, these people apply for all sorts of log books, most times they will come back with an angry owner, some times they won't if that's the case they apply for the log book &| hey presto you have another Cooper S to sell. It's not as easy as it used to be, but I have been told people are still doing variations on this scam.

M