Keeping water out of the dizzy

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Keeping water out of the dizzy

Post by mk1 »

If I'm being honest, when I take any of my Minis out in the rain, I put a Morrisons bag over the front of the engine. It looks totally crap, but works a treat.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

You smile Mark, but it's as good as anything. We used to say that where there's a will, there's a way and very often, there's usually an easy way
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Unlike Spider I prefer not to block off the holes completely - to me the dizzy needs to be able to both breathe and drain. As long as you can keep the worst of it out from under the cap and drowning out the points, then you'll generally not have an issue.

I use silicone grease around the cap to dizzy join. I used to use spray on Ignition Sealer or Damp Start but it seems impossible to get now. Decent fitting leads are worthwhile - although water can't get into the dizzy here it keeps a good sound connection between lead and cap.
Jasonking

Post by Jasonking »

Never had a problem with Mothers Pride bag an Rocket WD40 liberally splashed all over!
63monte

Post by 63monte »

Another item found at the back of the garage. Has anyone seen one of these full grille length perspex water shields before or know who produced them?
397C0F11-9C14-4B9D-A7F5-41179A617FD7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

The late Donald Farr's method after travelling along very wet roads to a very wet Gaydon event.
20220605-P1012111.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

A big bit of thin black plastic, about 45x45 cm. Tie wrap it to the engine or use the proper rocker cover brackets and and wedge it down the front. As long as it doesn't contact the cap or leads, it's good. Drilling holes in it and tie wrapping it around a couple of grille slats each side works fine.

I hate WD40 over everything. :lol:
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

They did do a rubber cover, but they are had to find nowadays
Up North in Sheffield
winabbey

Post by winabbey »

This is the BMC Australia authorised accessory ignition shield kit.

HYL4234 Ignition Shield Kit a.jpg
HYL4234 Ignition Shield Kit b.jpg
solomorris

Post by solomorris »

In my country Uruguay the hot climate makes it difficult to protect from water but we use the small plastic protector from the mk3