A mixed emotion time.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
CooperTune

Re: A mixed emotion time.

Post by CooperTune »

Sorry almost slipped off the page. I took a couple of days and collected a 66 998 Morris Cooper 400 miles from my shop. I delivered it 200 miles further south. I then returned to same location as 998 came from and collected the rally car. Once loaded I completed the 400 miles back to my shop. First day I left shop at noon and found location close to pick up point to spend night. Second day got up early hoping for 8 am pick up. I arrived at 8 but the boss was on vacation and shop didn't open till 9:30. Being 38 degrees, the boys pushed a non-runner out the door and went back in. At 74 years old loading and unloading one car then loading another and covering 800 miles by 8 am the next day isn't as much fun as it once was. Once cleaned and detailed I'll have new pictures of the rally car. As much as I'd like to keep this one, I know better. I need to figure a value and way to sell it. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Post by mowog »

More pics posted for Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

As a result of whirlwind trip to bring it home my back has not allowed me to take it off the trailer. I'll get if off the trailer today if rain holds off. I can't wait to get it out on the street. While built and sold as a rally replica everything is there and fresh, cam, compression and CWP detuned for pump hi test. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Post by mowog »

Additional pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidscothorn

Post by davidscothorn »

My sympathy
Been there. Still doing that. Can't give away the the T- shirt
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

It's not the worst thing that can happen. As I clean and detail a car I haven't seen in nearly 5 years, I realize others have to work on these things. Once clean and warts noted, I'll go through systems check, flush fluids, compression test and oil pressure check. Plugs, set timing check O2. I'm sure I have pictures of every mechanical part of this car as it was repaired, rebuilt or replaced. As it came to me there were neat ideas poorly carried out. I'm proud of everything I did to this one. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Post by mowog »

Pictures posted for Steve.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Early KAD 4 piston calipers for vented disc inside 10s. So far it needs cleaning, rear 1/4 window gaskets, door gaskets and steering boots. Starting to think Bring a Trailer will be my best bet. Steve (CTR)
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

You're not alone Steve. Just decided to let my year 2001 Rover Cooper Sport 5 go. It'll bring a lump to my throat, believe me. Just a few days before it's paid for and collected to reflect on what a nice car it's been.

Not in the same league as yours but mixed emotions for sure
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

As we lay to rest the balance of the greatest generation, and there is no longer any baby in baby boomers we have a lot to think about. I have always enjoyed buying classic minis and never liked selling them. Since 1968 I have sold my first an 850 to buy my first Cooper S sold it for a down payment on my first house sold my vintage racer in 2000 the day my son was born. In spite of that I still have eight. Most to be honest are projects that I have been collecting parts for. I have dropped Old Blue off for a few rust bubbles to be addressed. I can't help myself, if there is something wrong, I need to address it. Steve (CTR)