A mixed emotion time.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
CooperTune

A mixed emotion time.

Post by CooperTune »

I have reached the point where I have to many minis. The cost of everything will make it harder to complete the work required. Materials, labor and shop rent. If that were not enough, I'm old. Now my long-term friends/customers have asked me to sell their classic minis. I have progress photos of all of them. They are high end very special cars. All built with a cost no issue attitude. I will be collecting them and bringing to my shop in coastal Va. USA. Some I have not seen in a year or two. Once I have them and can inspect for current condition I will list them. I have already sold one and will deliver it as I pick up another. Two remaining are RHD and two LHD. They are all custom tailored to the owner. If you are in the US and looking for something special drop me a PM. I will have current photos and condition reports soon. I'm going to get to drive some freaking fun minis. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Re: A mixed emotion time.

Post by mowog »

Posted for Steve (CTR)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Thank you; I think that was the first time I have ever described myself as old. Not the only one here! This car was built from a 66 Morris Cooper S. Sold out of a shop in the UK roughly 20 years ago. I have traced the name of the shop and US purchaser. Not being into replica Rally cars, what era would a set up like this have been common? Moreover does anyone know the car? Thanks Steve (CTR)
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

I'll continue to search for info on this or this type of car. It seems it was assembled by Derek's minis as a rally replica. Sold as having no competition logbook or history. I t was imported to the US by our old friend Billy Backstay from the old days of the Minimania Forum. I believe he realized his mistake instantly. I believe he sold it to a high-end auto dealer up north. I'm told he sold it to a doctor who vacationed in South Carolina at his beach home. He sold it to another doctor that lives full time on the beach. After a local shop attempted to freshen the power unit it spun a center main, heating up two con rods, overheating blowing the head gasket and cracking the cyl head. At that point it was sent to me. I have maybe 1000 pictures of before and after as everything mechanical was rebuilt or replaced, no expense spared. I have no reason to believe this car, at least the lower half was not a competition car. Steve (CTR)
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

UK DVLA Details:-
✗ Untaxed Vehicle
FON 65D is not Taxed
Tax due: 1 April 1989
Vehicle Details
Vehicle make MORRIS
Date of first registration March 1966
Year of manufacture 1966
Cylinder capacity 1380 cc
Export marker Yes
Vehicle status Untaxed
Vehicle colour BLUE
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 24 August 2001
mowog

Post by mowog »

Additional photos for Steve (CTR)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Thank you very much for that info. That is the car. I removed and stripped a blown up 1380. Doing a postmortem it was a 13 to 1 C/R ,300-degree cam, big valve, full race ported head. SC/CR, cross pin diff rod change. The dash has all kinds of stuff and the passenger door pocket a bunch of switches.

Now I know how it would be to work at the SPCA. I'd want to keep them all. I hope repairs on my trailer are complete soon and I can pick up the rally car this week. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Post by mowog »

Another picture for Steve
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

I know nothing about rally cars. This is not a street mini someone bolted a light bar to, a rally dash and some stickers. Granted removing everything, repair replace rebuild and powder coat sure improved the look. Converting to one plug connection for front end was as good as it gets. Just seems to me it must have had some kind of history. Steve (CTR)
mowog

Post by mowog »

Additional pics posted for Steve (CTR)