Introduction From South Africa

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Vesparados

Introduction From South Africa

Post by Vesparados »

Good Day all you mini Fanatics,

I am from Johannesburg South Africa, I only bought my 1st mini some 6 years back but since then was bitten by the bug.

I started with a 1968 MK2 Austin which I am building a Cooper S Replica while was doing this build I bought a 1978 Leyland South African Special Edition Bullnose called the Van Den Plas which was sadly stolen not long after I bought it AAARRRRGGGHHH, the Mk2 is around 90% complete but a few things I want to finish. last week I however pulled the trigger and now own a Rhodesian CKD MK1 and this is the reason I am here. hopefully I can pick your brains on trims, colours and so on as we going forward.

there are a few original parts so I am hoping from what you guys can see you can advise if its more a UK style vehicle or if the interior and other bits were specifically from Rhodesia.

thank you in advance
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Introduction From South Africa

Post by mk1 »

Welcome to the forum!

I love SA & have travelled & stayed in both SA & Zim, I also have a massive soft spot for Mini's that were built in Southern Africa.. A relative of mine helped set up the Morris factory in Blackheath.

I am sure you will get lots of useful advice about your MK1, but info on the SA variants is pretty thinm, particularly on the Local content.

Do you have a copy of Rhino's book?

http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?t=31712

It really is the definitive story of Mini's in southern Africa.

Happy reading.

M
Vesparados

Post by Vesparados »

Thank you for the quick response

I do not have a copy as yet have been looking for one which I will immediately buy when I find one.

I do have a copy of the Mini Cooper & S by Nigel Edwards what it seems is that the Rhodesian car I have is a little different to the SA counterpart but will be doing lots or research before I do any ordering of parts etc...
minimk1man

Post by minimk1man »

You can get a new book from Ryno direct. ryno.verster@vodamail.co.za or ryno.verster77@gmail.com
Ryno is a top bloke. Might be worth talking to him. He is a mind of information on all Southern African built cars.
Vesparados

Post by Vesparados »

Thank you Very much for his details I have sent him an email await his response
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Welcome to the forum, especially as it sounds as if you are working on some relatively unusual cars ;-)
Vesparados

Post by Vesparados »

Thank you, I will make contact with Ryno Verster but over and above him do you think the British Motor Heritage would have much info on the CKD Kits sent Rhodesia. or will these details maybe be a little vague with them

I am thinking about applying for a Certificate BUT dont want to send the money on a piece of paper if they not going to have what I need
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Heritage Certs on CKD cars are certainly available. How much info it would add is however questionable.