Ideas for mounting additional switches and tell tale lamps

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
gs.davies

Ideas for mounting additional switches and tell tale lamps

Post by gs.davies »

After any thoughts, ideas or examples for where and how other owners have mounted additional switches. I'd like to add a row of several switches, along with associated tell tale lamps where appropriate and my first idea hasn't panned out unfortunately.

Switches would be:

-Windscreen washer
-Front Fog + tell tale
-Front Spot + tell tale
-Rear Fog + tell tale
-Interior Light (I don't have door switches but I do have a festoon lamp and the associated wiring for it already fitted)
-Hazards

I was planning on using the Lucas SPB200 (and equivalent sprung version for washer, something like the Lucas WL3 for the tell tales and a Rover P6 style Hazard in the centre on a panel underneath the main switches, however, there's insufficient clearance where the heater motor sits. I was also planning to shield the sides of this from view with some black millboard to get it looking like an original factory installation if possible. It'd probably work with a external fan fresh air heater, but that's a project for another day, so it'll have to work with the existing recirculating 'heater' for now.

Where and how have others mounted these and with what switches? Interested in making this look as factory-fit as possible. At some stage in the near future, I'm planning on making a Speedwell dash replica, so would rather not mount anything under the upper dash rail.

Cheers,
Gary
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for mounting additional switches and tell tale lamps

Post by mk1 »

A home made switch panel under the dash rail between steering column & door possibly. You could do it double depth with a row of indicators & switches one on top of the other. But be warned, those WL3's are BRIGHT!

Or maybe, something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283935170915
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Didn't some works cars have an aux switch panel mounted under the ignition switch panel?
peasantslife

Post by peasantslife »

Or in the leading edge of the drivers door bin?
63monte

Post by 63monte »

mk1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:11 pm Didn't some works cars have an aux switch panel mounted under the ignition switch panel?
As Mark suggests, the additional switch panel on some of the 1963 Monte Carlo 997s. Obviously depends on the year of your car and which heater you have.
2D7FBA74-DCB3-4A40-ACE2-080963B5D50C.jpeg
You could always bring the panel forward so that it sits on the lower rail, rather than behind it, under the main switch panel, to give more clearance for the heater controls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

63monte wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 pm
mk1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:11 pm Didn't some works cars have an aux switch panel mounted under the ignition switch panel?
As Mark suggests, the additional switch panel on some of the 1963 Monte Carlo 997s. Obviously depends on the year of your car and which heater you have.
2D7FBA74-DCB3-4A40-ACE2-080963B5D50C.jpeg

You could always bring the panel forward so that it sits on the lower rail, rather than behind it, under the main switch panel, to give more clearance for the heater controls.
Ah yes that makes sense now. That’s the panel I’ve got, but I’ve got a recirc heater. The motor takes up about 100 mm from the centre of the panel.

I do have a fresh air external fan heater but that’s another project altogether.

Back to the drawing board I think.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

If that was me, looking at typical Mk1 switch panel, I'd take it out for a start and make a new one. Then when it's a steel blank, remark and cut the new holes. You'd get two switches between the ignition and the choke and same at the other side.

New, choke, rear fog, lights, ignition, washer, wiper and heat (?) knob. Less faffing around now mounting the others AND it'll look tidy
Terence

Post by Terence »

I found this little mount panel, but I only needed two switches
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

Another option is switches with built in tell tale lights. You can find some more classic looking ones if you look a bit harder than me

eg