One of those basic questions - oiling the door hinges

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
AndyPen

One of those basic questions - oiling the door hinges

Post by AndyPen »

It occurred to me today when re-oiling the door hinges with good old three in one (with patina old tin type), that there might be some kind of recommendation. Anyone know or have alternative practice they would recommend? I have NOS hinges going on my 1071 you see ;-)
mk1
Site Admin

Re: One of those basic questions - oiling the door hinges

Post by mk1 »

Got to be honest, I have never oiled a hinge in my life. I can see why it would be a good idea, but I have just never bothered. Not had any issues either.
snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

As I’ve got a white car …. On the rare occasion I use anything I use the 3-1 spray lithium grease , dries white and has good water resistance, i use it for all kinds of hinges outside
Cheers

Kevin
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I would oil the door hinges sparingly. The great weight of the door is actually supported on the BOTTOM area of the front section of the hinges. And I'd be using a drop or two of EP - extreme pressure - gear oil on that area simply because of the great weight. The problem - if there is a problem - is getting the oil into the axis pin and bush.

As a matter of (probably little.....) interest, working with Nick from minibitz and a stack of seemingly unserviceable hinges we established that you could repair and refurb even the most knackered hinge sets to serviceable like-new condition. Even those with stripped threads and those rear sections (the door part) with elongated bush holes can be overbored, sleeved and restored.

Another of those interesting projects to save bits for the future
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

I like the white grease idea on a white car ;-)

My father ran a garage in the 60s and used to moan that he was always fitting new hinge pins / ball thingies in external hinges (like the A30 and Bubble cars), and unless oiled or greased they seemed to rust, especially on white or light coloured cars. I think that is the reason he did it, with hinge lubrication a secondary concern.
tweedy998

Post by tweedy998 »

Strangely, this was something I was mulling over the other day, as I was oiling and greasing some other bits of our '65 Cooper. I couldn't decide whether to go for a couple of squirts of Bilthamber Ferrosol or some drops of SU dashpot oil... I may experiment with both. :D
1965 Tweed Grey Mk1 Morris Cooper 998
2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy 407/500
2010 Storm Grey Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

For a little used classic Mini wear in the hinge pins or rust stains is probably not going to be a big issue....but back in the day when Mk1/2 Minis/vans/pickups with external hinges were hard used daily drivers it was common to have to lift the door via the door handle or door pocket as you shut it, to compensate for the drop caused by wear in neglected/rarely lubricated hinges. You could also make or buy oversize hinge pins instead of buying expensive new hinges....or more likely just live with the problem on what was often just cheap transport with only a few if any MOT passes left in it...the worst bit was telling your passengers they had to lift their door slightly to get it to shut! :lol:
One of the reasons I couldn't wait to get my first Mk3 Mini in the 1970's with proper door hinges!
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

WD40 ;)
Dan Tweed grey

Post by Dan Tweed grey »

I use engine build lube, the stuff that you put on your shells and cam .
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

A good little ploy is to dunk the bronze collars into hot oil for an hour or so in order that they are saturated. But i don't think I'd be using WD40.