Putting the body back on the subframes…?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: Putting the body back on the subframes…?

Post by mab01uk »

mk1 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:04 pm It is just 1000 times more ungainly. Getting the frame lined up in the engine bay always (in my experience) involves some ragging about, with an engine in and wheels on this is infinitely more difficult. The lining up of the tower bolts is almost impossible when you are having to try & manipulate the shell to do it.

The last time Rich & I put an engine in, not on one of our cars I might add. the shell had been welded together a little out of line & although we did manage to get it in if we had been trying to do the shell onto the body we would still be trying now.

As I said in my original post, I am sure that there are people who swear that shell onto frames is the way to go, it's just in my experience it is about 10 times more difficult & is absolutely guaranteed to cause more scratches, dings & heart ache than fitting the frame to the shell & lowering the engine in from the top. Each to their own, but I will certainly NEVER try it again.

I reckon that the last 6 engines I have fitted have been done on my own using a decent engine lift / hoist & one of these;

I have not scratched ANY paint at all & have fitted the engine c/w rad & with a cowl on the shell.

More on this subject here;

http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?t=28231
Totally agree always lower the engine in from the top using a decent engine lift / hoist ....I tried frame to shell many years ago with lots of helpers and swore never again....it might look easy on the old production line films but is not so easy to achieve in most garages!
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Today i lowered the bare painted Pickup shell down onto the Front Subframe with Engine & Rad fully built.. this was a Solo Labour effort using two chainblocks one at the front & one at the rear keeping the body shell horizontal throughout .. Engine was sitting on a caster wheel board ( like Mr Shifter uses ) with the body raised up the Subframe & Engine pushed in under .. no dramas & i did not need to use any other jacking method.
I do not have an engine crane so its a case of use what kit i have available .. the important bit is to be safe .
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

Polarsilver wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 pm Today i lowered the bare painted Pickup shell down onto the Front Subframe with Engine & Rad fully built.. this was a Solo Labour effort using two chainblocks one at the front & one at the rear keeping the body shell horizontal throughout .. Engine was sitting on a caster wheel board ( like Mr Shifter uses ) with the body raised up the Subframe & Engine pushed in under .. no dramas & i did not need to use any other jacking method.
I do not have an engine crane so its a case of use what kit i have available .. the important bit is to be safe .
Ah, this makes sense as you've lowered the car in a horizontal plane over the engine - it's the arc that the engine bay moves through if the car sits on the rear wheels that's been concerning me. I also have the engine and subframe on a board on castors so it's moveable in all directions. Where did you attach the lifting straps to at the front and rear?
Spider

Post by Spider »

I have tried a few different lifting points on the engine but found the best / easiest is a couple of adaptors I made that screw in to Spark Plug holes 1 and 4 and lift from them. Tilts the engine at just the right angle. When it lands, it is a little forward of where it needs to be. I either slide it back pushing with my feet (doesn't take any effort) or use the trolley jack to roll it back