Putting the body back on the subframes…?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Spider

Re: Putting the body back on the subframes…?

Post by Spider »

It depends on what you have to work with.

Personally, having tried many techniques over the years, for me I like to have the engine out of the subframe and drop it in from the top. I found lifting the body over a front subframe that had the engine in it a risk with respect to paint and a pain in the bum, you can't nearly as easily see everything and you have the body which has some weight and is awkward to move the mm here, mm there and equally so with a front subframe that has the engine in it. Fitting the subframe without the engine also allows you to hook up the brakes (unless you have a servo), bleed them and check for leaks etc.I found fitting the front subframe without engine and hubs the easiest way to go, then fit the hubs, plumb the brakes as above.

I have 4 stands that I put the body on, or more usually, the body is on a stand that I made, and a pump up table trolley. I usually fit the front subframe first, only because of how the stand attached to the body, then rear, then drop the engine in - complete less manifolds - from the top. So much easier and more controlled.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Peter Laidler wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 pm Xxxxing good idea fron Costa re long studs to align the sub frame towers. Wish I'd done that too!!!
Same when fitting a RWD gearbox that weighs 50 kg, trying to get the input shaft to locate into the clutch plate.

A complete sod.

Long studs in the back of the engine take the gearbox weight. Ditto, a decent trolley jack under the gearbox with a bit of wood lifts a Mini engine/box/frame with ease - with a second pair of hands it's a piece of piss with guiding studs.
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

Costafortune wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:01 pm
Peter Laidler wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 pm Xxxxing good idea fron Costa re long studs to align the sub frame towers. Wish I'd done that too!!!
Same when fitting a RWD gearbox that weighs 50 kg, trying to get the input shaft to locate into the clutch plate.

A complete sod.

Long studs in the back of the engine take the gearbox weight. Ditto, a decent trolley jack under the gearbox with a bit of wood lifts a Mini engine/box/frame with ease - with a second pair of hands it's a piece of piss with guiding studs.
I remember lifting a Mk5 cortina box into place with it balanced on my chest. Virtually suicidal 😂
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

I was pulling the 'box out of a Z3 about 2 weeks ago. Lying under the car, jiggling it free and all 40 kilos of it came free suddenly, landing on my left hand.

A trip to A&E, x ray, three stitches and a bandage later I became Danny Glover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Same here Costa. I'm too old to be jacking cars up, sitting it on axle stands and rolling on the floor. I'm now digging a pit in the garage floor. A house built on the block and beam principle helps...... Done all the concrete sawing and breaking down to the cross beams. Blocks removed..... Just waitin' till the digger man can get his arse and digger round here
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Groveling on the floor is good for the sole .. Not for your health ;)
peasantslife

Post by peasantslife »

Two more frustrating gearboxes
1)wrangling an overdrive gearbox out of a GT6 - only way out is through the interior by removing seats...
2) P6, have to pull the engine, which if TC means manifold and carbs, then cooling PAC first...
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Speaking from my own experience. Putting the body back on to the assembled frames is not the way to go. It is MUCH easier if the frames are fitted with minimal parts on board. They are lighter & easier to manipulate.

I have tried to lower the body back onto a complete front subframe c/w engine ONCE. I would never attempt it again as long as I live.

That said, the more you do something the easier it gets & I know that some people do do it this way & I am sure that some of the tricks they suggest will be good ones.

However you do it.

Good luck.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Got to agree with Mark and Spider.

We've always fitted the front subframes bare and build up prior to dropping engine in using the correct lifting bracket

I'd never contemplate lowering body over the subframe/engine assembly.

The only positive I see is the the fitting the radiator/fan will be a walk in the part compared to what a bastard job it is in a Mk1/2 (and no I don't remove the inner wing shroud which I know makes life easier but its not correct).
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

In recent years I have built up the engine c/w Rad & lowered the whole shebang in in one go. It is easy if you have a good lift & an original style 2 angle lifting bracket. Amazingly, I have even converted Rich to this method.