doors with filed elongated hole - tips please?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
AndyPen

doors with filed elongated hole - tips please?

Post by AndyPen »

This afternoon I finally got the door card out in one piece from my wife's car, as the door had dropped. It was a task I wasn't looking forward too as its original and I had visions of breaking the card. All out in one piece thankfully.

Once in there, I discovered the the door holes had been filed out a fair bit at some point, so the door is simply slipping on the hinge studs. Years ago this was the norm I'm sure, but what's the best way of ensuring they don't slip again without welding up the holes on nice red door paint?

Clearly I don't want to over tighten and strip threads either, so any tips out there? I was wondering about bonding a washer of the right size in the correct spot for example?
mk1
Site Admin

Re: doors with filed elongated hole - tips please?

Post by mk1 »

You have hit the nail on the head. Get a 1/4" repair washer as big as you can get & tiger seal it into the correct position when you adjust the door. This will fix the stud in the correct place & spread the load too.
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

Did Nick W use a wood saw cut to shape? As it curved with the skin? Looked a good job.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

mini_surfari wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:48 pm Did Nick W use a wood saw cut to shape? As it curved with the skin? Looked a good job.

Wouldn't mind seeing that if can find the link ;-) Thanks for the confirmation mark ;-)
twc641

Post by twc641 »

I would like to see picture of Nick W's also as i have the same issue with my 63 Austin Saloon
Thanx
John
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

mini_surfari wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:18 pm Took me bloody ages to find it :lol:

http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... Door+hinge
Thanks - great tip. Turns out our problem is the lower bolt - so a bit trickier getting in there, and to have a bend in it to match the rubber pipe mounting plate. The lower front hole is also elongated, so will use the old trick of making a shaped washer that wedges between the door skin edge and the front upright section - so plenty of patience needed to carefully cut one down to fit.