Leyland Pickup questions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Polarsilver

Leyland Pickup questions

Post by Polarsilver »

Can i ask your knowledge regards a late year Leyland manufactured Mini Pickup..
1. Did they have any stick on trim fitted onto the Dash Top Tail + the Inner A posts + Dash Cross Member ?
2. What spec; should the 12v Battery be & also what are the battery dimensions ?
3. How should this Pickup 12v Battery be secured & does the battery stand in a plastic Tray ?
4. On this Pickup shell looking on the Inner left side heel board there is an odd shape bracket located on the heel board inner vertical face ? .. so asking what appears to be original build angular bracket for ? .. all it appears to be doing is stopping the spare wheel pushing fully back under the floor into its stowage?

I am rebuilding this Pickup for a Friend who wants wide wheels so will require Wheel Spats :roll:
5. Is there a UK Supplier of Pickup suitable front & rear wheel arch extensions ?

Thanks for your help.
woodypup no 2

Re: Leyland Pickup questions

Post by woodypup no 2 »

Ref question 4. Can you post a picture.

But it could be the bracket tp keep the spare wheel in place. Tho it only works with very narrow tyres ie 520 crossplies.

I dont think any pups had vinyl on the dash or scteen pillars.

The battery is pulled back against the panel under the deck by 2 long screwed hooks and the std mini angle clamp. You can use the tray from a woody but the main restriction is height. You need a very short battery or the terminals will touch either the seat frame or the underside of the deck. IIIRC the battery from a citroen van fitted mine JUST.
Last edited by woodypup no 2 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Some other Mini Pickup production info which may prove useful can be found in this thread here:-
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23711
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

1. no trim, I believe it was all painted.
2. the vans/pick ups had long and narrower batteries (unsure on exact size, would have to look through from when we did the van)
3. the battery pushes against the bracket below, on a plastic tray, then a similar bracket goes round it like the saloon. And a cardboard cover

4. that angular bracket is to wedge the spare wheel under, and then the clamp holds it from bouncing around behind the passenger seat.

5... i suppose it would depend on the arches they would like.
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

PS. the battery bracket on the van we pushed backwards under the load bay more, to make room for the seat to go back, not sure if its worth doing in a pick up.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Polarsilver wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am I am rebuilding this Pickup for a Friend who wants wide wheels so will require Wheel Spats :roll:
5. Is there a UK Supplier of Pickup suitable front & rear wheel arch extensions ?

Thanks for your help.
I don't think any supplier has made wheel arch extensions especially for the Pickup or Van/Estate due to low volumes/demand.
The front arches would be the same as a saloon anyway and most rear saloon arch extensions are probably flexible enough to adapt to any small differences in the rear side panel shape if there are any, or could be re-profiled slightly to suit. Minispares sell some rubber sealing strips that go between some arch extensions and the body panel which may also help.
Mini95

Post by Mini95 »

I have got group 2 arches on my pickup and they fit and look ok. I think they came from somerford many years ago. As previously mentioned not trim on dash rails or pillars.
FEC48662-600D-400C-8B49-73EB1F5FFF6F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Thanks to all .. just now need to sort out what 12v Battery will fit ?
kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

I think I used an 063 battery Norman..
Dave