2023 - Last London to Brighton Mini Run?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
gs.davies

Re: 2023 - Last London to Brighton Mini Run?

Post by gs.davies »

I've not done the run in quite a number of years - the traffic getting in and out of Brighton makes it something of a pain in the backside on the day. Shame it's finishing, but I agree, I don think it's really about the ULEZ as it could realistically start from somewhere else, and quite a lot of the older minis are exempt from the ULEZ on the basis of their historic status anyway. it's probably just the nightmare of organising it, booking Madeira Drive, councils, mini owner clubs etc etc etc...
swifty

Post by swifty »

Maybe it’s something to do with the £125 entry fee ! . I’ve worked hard for my money and to me that’s not good value for money … Am I alone in thinking this ?….. Shirley
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s.

I am from Essex
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

I was confused by the £125 entry fee.
Further investigation revealed that it is not the fee for the Mini L2B run but the Classic Car run in June.
As I have said before I really enjoyed my first L2B run with my son in his Mini City (with 10" wheels!) and several runs in the early 2000s. Fantastic memories of the atmosphere at Crystal Palace, on the run and at Brighton. Sadly all good things must come to an end. Not all Minis are exempt from the London ULEZ fee.
I must also admit that images of the graffiti on the front is not attractive. Sadly, in my opiinion, seaside towns on the South coast are past their best.
Such a shame. I blame the Mods & Rockers in the 1960s. :lol: :lol: My generation. :D
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

However the Brooklands London to Brighton Classic Car Run is £125....which compared to the London to Brighton Mini Run LSMOC tickets are £45 and the organisers say not many will be willing to pay £70 to take part including the 2 x ULEZ charges (for the many overnight campers) if your Mini is not in the Historic Tax class. Petrol BMW MINI's should be ok as even my 2002 R50 MINI is exempt from ULEZ as it seems BMW were ahead of their time on MINI emissions in 2001.
It was hard last year for LSMOC to find Cheam Park as a suitable alternative start point to Crystal Palace...the venue must have good access, space for 2000+ parked cars, allow overnight camping with facilities, plus have a council and local residents who are happy to host noisy polluting old car events!
However it is true to say the increasing difficulties and cost in time and money and lack of experienced volunteers to take on the running the event is a major factor as well as London ULEZ restrictions and Brightons 'Green' council not being keen on old car events on Madeira Drive...

The Mini Cooper Register has a similar problem with the Beaulieu Mini Show and struggles every year to find someone willing to take over running the event from the small team of older members who now wish to stand down after many years of doing the job!
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

hanlminiman wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:55 pm I must also admit that images of the graffiti on the front is not attractive. Sadly, in my opiinion, seaside towns on the South coast are past their best.
Such a shame. I blame the Mods & Rockers in the 1960s. :lol: :lol: My generation. :D
Brighton, now known as 'London on Sea' and sadly with many of the same problems that brings....

There was some old colour cine film footage of Brighton in the 1960's on Talking Pictures TV excellent 'Footage Detectives' series recently...Brighton looked so much better just as I remember it back in the day with the old green double decker 'Southdown' buses....
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

mab01uk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 pm Brighton, now known as 'London on Sea' and sadly with many of the same problems that brings....

There was some old colour cine film footage of Brighton in the 1960's on Talking Pictures TV excellent 'Footage Detectives' series recently...Brighton looked so much better just as I remember it back in the day with the old green double decker 'Southdown' buses....
But the same goes for any large town or city, you see film of the 50s or 60s and there's hardly any traffic and it all looks very civilised. Brighton is a city with all the problems that brings as you say. Many of the South East coastal towns seem to attract more than their share of life's less fortunate, there's an element of the authorities dumping people there I've heard, probably it's the ageing housing stock and consequent cheaper rentals. Sounds like a vicious circle.

I'll stick up for the place but every time I visit the centre, especially by car, I promise myself I'll never return. One of my brothers lives there, on the outskirts fortunately!