Which is correct

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
'S'-type

Re: Which is correct

Post by 'S'-type »

Peter Laidler wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:37 pm You're right S type (read above) I've also lost the will to live. 2 pages about correct rivets! Or am I missing something..........
Keep up Peter, we're now on page 3.
Anyway, it's marginally more interesting than the correct shade of yellow for the fan.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

I put a dab of sealant near the hole when I did mine, just wondering if anyone has ever seen the crushed in 'ball drop out of a rivet? Just seems very unlikely to me? Or am I wrong?
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

Some pop rivets are sealed over the mandrel, like on genuine landrovers. This type would be best for this rocker cover aplication
Up North in Sheffield
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Peter Laidler wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:37 pm You're right S type (read above) I've also lost the will to live. 2 pages about correct rivets! Or am I missing something..........
Careful Peter....I got a slight reprimand earlier in this thread for non-constructive comments when light heartedly mentioning that Jeremy Clarkson once said exciting things like the rivet variants used by BL were the kind of topics enthusiasts at a 'Morris Marina Club' meeting discuss in great detail.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Yup......, that's why I held back!!!
'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

mab01uk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:49 pm
Careful Peter....I got a slight reprimand earlier in this thread for non-constructive comments when light heartedly mentioning that Jeremy Clarkson once said exciting things like the rivet variants used by BL were the kind of topics enthusiasts at a 'Morris Marina Club' meeting discuss in great detail.
To be fair Mab, most of the stuff that gets discussed on here would put us firmly in the same bracket as members of The Morris Marina Club or, in fact anyone who doesn't use a hammer as a screw driver, as far as mechanical genius Clarkson is concerned, as well as loads of other people who 'just don't get it'.
I think for once, because it's actually about rivets it is seen as beyond the pail this time. But if it's not rivets it's usually something else equally mundane.
The OP's post was perfectly legitimate.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

I agree 'S'-type the OP's post was perfectly legitimate....but also their is no harm laughing at ourselves sometimes as others might see us....I am quite used to friends and family calling me a 'sad anorak' for having a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive in all things to do with Minis! :lol:
However I have also had many people say they are envious of people like us who have such a lifelong interest or hobby, particularly as they approach retirement and worry what they will do with all that time on their hands....

Quote:
What do the British mean when they call somebody an "anorak"?
"An 'Anorak' is the name given to someone who has an obsession with a particular hobby i.e. football statistics, trainspotting, etc.
An anorak is literally a hooded waterproof coat, and the slang term was originally applied to trainspotters - people whose hobby is hanging around railway stations, monitoring the arrivals/departures of various trains and writing down their serial numbers in little notebooks. Their hobby requires them to wear suitably draught-proof clothing. By extension it has become applied to anyone with an obsessive interest in a subject that is too technical or boring for anyone else to know or care much about."
Striped shirt

Post by Striped shirt »

So... Are we good on the rocker cover rivets?
Shall we keep this going to 4 pages?
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Isn't there a double indent on the original rivets? Got to be worth discussing????

(Puts tongue back in cheek)

;-)
360gts

Post by 360gts »

So as not to disappoint those who were counting rivets! :)
I counted and recounted to ensure I got four....two in each plate.....think that makes four.

Due to the crazy situation with the Royal Mail in the UK......I ended up making four of the blind rivets for the Weslake plates......
Merry Christmas...keep counting....won't be long till the rivet fairy arrives!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 360gts on Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.