Which is correct

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Striped shirt

Re: Which is correct

Post by Striped shirt »

I would imagine that the rocker cover had the Westlake plate attached first by the person who had the job to attach every Westlake plate.
They would then go off to the specific factory and then a different BMC bod would attach the name.plate, Austin/Morris/MG, etc, etc.
Chances are they were put on after the box was bolted to the engine, so easier to.just pop rivet the name on.
That's my thoughts....
Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

I do have a pair of the "plugs" , somewhere. YOu gonna make me go in my shed again? the Austin or Morris were put on afterwards, hence the pop rivets.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

A-Series Engine Valve/Rocker Cover Rivets (Mini Mania USA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgd4c7yyxM
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

I pondered this a while ago. On a rocker cover that I had a crackle job done the weslake plate was blind riveted and there was no paint under it. The Austin plate was pop riveted on.

My assumption is that a pre-masked weslake plate was attached to unpainted rocker covers and sent along as a component to the engine build line. Engines would get built, painted in whatever colour appropriate to the marque and finally the marque badge attached - Austin/Morris/Riley/Wolseley/MG etc etc

Obviously to blind rivet the marque badge on would take a lot longer than a pop rivet gun and would necessitate taking the rocker cover back off and then refitting it.
360gts

Post by 360gts »

Rolandino wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:57 pm I do have a pair of the "plugs" , somewhere. YOu gonna make me go in my shed again? the Austin or Morris were put on afterwards, hence the pop rivets.
OK, great..but watch out for the mice...especially the BIG one🤣
Cheers
D
moita

Post by moita »

Hi Dermot,

What I found in my cars is that all have a domed rivet in the patent tag and pop rivet in the brand (Morris/Austin). That is my comments regarding this topic.

I have rebuild my engine and I did not took off tags when I recover the rocker.

I am ok living with patina :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

For anyone who hasn't yet lost the will to live...

I revisited my 1071 cover and it is clear that the Weslake and Austin rivets are different. Most of the evidence/photos we have here seem to point to this being the case across the board. The Weslake ones are applied from the back ( as per matey boy's video). They are visibly different colour, material and size.
On studying my Austin ones , they do appear to be some kind of 'pop' rivet, but there is less of an indentation in the centre than you get with 'conventional ' pull through mandrel types. This may be because they were applied differently, ( still from the top side (blind) but the pin hammered through rather than pulled out.) These are called drive pin types.
I have a1960 Austin cover that is identical, rivet wise, to the 1963 one.

A few thoughts - the general theory that Weslake plates were applied first and the relevant marque plate added later seems right.
According to my bit of evidence there is no difference between S and non S riveting.

Provisos: Maybe there was a change at some point to the more indented rivet.

I think the guy in the video is wrong about all four being the same.

In terms of where this leaves us, I would say standard mandrel pop rivets are fine for the marque plate, unless you're really worried about their appearance.

But remember, even if you're not, there are people out there who are! and you will lose points.

So keep countin', those rivets won't count themselves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Pop Rivets some are Blind & have the end sealed .. inserting the same as any other pop rivet.
Blind type is better for this job as no oil leakage up through the center and safe as any broken off "Ball Bit" in a standard Pop Rivet cannot fall out into the engine.
Note.. By making this response "i am not applying to become a rivet counter" ;)

I used some blind & short pop rivets that were supplied for those troublesome clips that secure the Stainless Door Trims.
Last edited by Polarsilver on Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

You're right S type (read above) I've also lost the will to live. 2 pages about correct rivets! Or am I missing something..........
'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

Polarsilver wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:32 pm Pop Rivets some are Blind & have the end sealed .. inserting the same as any other pop rivet.
Blind type is better for this job as no oil leakage up through the center and safe as any broken off "Ball Bit" in a standard Pop Rivet cannot fall out into the engine.
Note.. By making this response "i am not applying to become a rivet counter" ;)
Too late you just did!