Which is correct

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
360gts

Which is correct

Post by 360gts »

Just finishing off the rebuild on my 970 engine...final touch is the rocker cover.
Wish I had taken a photo of it prior to stripping.
So, to the plates....looking at some what I think are original engine pictures...they show the Austin plate being attached with normal pop rivets and the Weslake plate with round head rivets.
Fairly certain the first picture is correct as my original 62 Elf has the plates attached in this manner. Sort of makes sense...perhaps the engines were assembled with just the Weslake plate and Austin/Morris/Riley etc. plate added on the line...hence the pop rivets....

Then, I found some pictures of a 1071 with both plates attached with round head rivets. However, this is from a restored car....perhaps that owner got it wrong.....
Feedback welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'S'-type

Re: Which is correct

Post by 'S'-type »

7701_1670839034395.jpg
I've got this picture of an unmolested 1071 rocker cover which seems to show the Austin plate with domed rivets. (Still hard to make out). You can' t really see the Weslake plate. The Austin plate has never been off.

Bear in mind this is a photo of a very old photo taken when the world was in black and white.
I've still got this engine but will have to do a bit of unearthing before I could get a current photo.

Nothing's ever straight forward is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It's hard to be 100% certain on issues like this. The Normal 850 engines were undoubtedly rounded rivets on the Weslake plate & Pop rivets on the names badge. these were fitted after the engine was painted.

As per the image above, I would suggest that as the S engines were built in batches these "MAY" have had r/c's with 2 sets of rounded rivets. I suspect that no one knows the answer.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

The stickers came into the picture a year or two later of course, but when I did my search on original cars of 64, the two types of rivet was the norm on the old original cars. I have 3 of my own and a spare June 64 engine - same observation applies. I also have an early 63 Rocker off my brother's 997, that has domed rivets on both plates, and a '62 Morris Minor one that had the (dome type rivet) plates masked off (quite badly) before painting green over the top.

Could it be a change in practice perhaps, cost saving to add the second plate at the factory?

The one in the front of the picture is off a June 64 970S motor that had been in storage since the late 60s (as a 1275 was put in it) and is probably the best original I have from that era, hope this helps Dermot?

2xrocker1.jpg
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Could it be an Austin or Morris thing ?
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Exminiman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm Could it be an Austin or Morris thing ?
Don't think so, both brands seem to be the same when I checked.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Always did wonder who were the actual "Rivet Counters" :lol:
N Georgia S

Post by N Georgia S »

This conversation is so very timely. I just got my log in confirmation this morning and joined because I am also adding tags on my just rebuilt US spec, 1966 1275 S. As it is a 1966 car, I have the adhesive stickers. My question is what is the proper orientation for the Weslake sticker. All the pictures here show that it should be facing the firewall which I am assuming is correct. I am just looking for confirmation. Thanks for the help.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Polarsilver wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:02 pm Always did wonder who were the actual "Rivet Counters" :lol:
This level of attention to detail always reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear when he was once describing the exciting topics discussed by the enthusiasts at a 'Morris Marina Club' meeting.... :lol: :lol:
360gts

Post by 360gts »

mab01uk wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:46 pm
Polarsilver wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:02 pm Always did wonder who were the actual "Rivet Counters" :lol:
This level of attention to detail always reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear when he was once describing the exciting topics discussed by the enthusiasts at a 'Morris Marina Club' meeting.... :lol: :lol:
Did you know it only takes few muscles to smile and considerably more to frown!

Thanks to those who responded with constructive comments....looks like the rocker covers were attached with a combination of rivets.....there may have been some that had a different combination.