My eBay find for the year - ST H4

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
timmy201

My eBay find for the year - ST H4

Post by timmy201 »

I normally get one find a year that's a decent price & also a bit strange to find out here in Australia. My Les Leston & Springall steering wheels have been previous finds, and this one is also a lucky & unusual find here...

I saw these pop up, and first glance they were kind of interesting but the Sprite/Midget manifold put me off. The photos were also absolutely tiny as you can see below. It got relisted a few times so I decided to have a closer look. There was a special tuning type choke bridge (C-AHT 1), the correct return spring anchors (C-AHT 2) and what was possibly the right angle fuel bowls. The current throttle/choke bridge is a bit weird, but the remainder of the parts seemed too specific to be a total home brew job. I asked the seller what the fuel bowls were and he said they were 4184 and 4185... I decided then it was worth a bid, seeing as they had the remainder of the parts to complete my set

They turned up today & wouldn't you believe it - they are a matched pair of AUD178 special tuning carbs!
And of course the 4814 & 4815 fuel bowls. The choke levers are 4045 which is also correct

One thing I noticed different to my other sets is that these use a banjo stud on the bottom of the fuel bowl rather than banjo bolts. Now the plan is to use this set as the basis for my good set, which will leave a few parts left over. As far as I can tell this set is only missing a few very minor parts :D
Last edited by timmy201 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polarsilver

Re: My eBay find for the year

Post by Polarsilver »

Tim, what a great find.. Can i ask when you have the set stripped can you post a picture of the ST Choke Bridge C-AHY1 .. will be good info as i attempt to build such a set of H4,s.
timmy201

Re: My eBay find for the year

Post by timmy201 »

Polarsilver wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:32 am Tim, what a great find.. Can i ask when you have the set stripped can you post a picture of the ST Choke Bridge C-AHY1 .. will be good info as i attempt to build such a set of H4,s.
I can try and get some measurements when I get some time to strip them down. The bolt hole measurements are fixed as they bolt to the carbs, so it’d just be working out the arc

I believe Mark & Catmint are working on the C-AHT 1 & 2 brackets, so that might be another option.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35676&p=313172#p313172
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Re: My eBay find for the year - ST H4

Post by Ronnie »

timmy201 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:52 am I normally get one find a year that's a decent price & also a bit strange to find out here in Australia. My Les Leston & Springall steering wheels have been previous finds, and this one is also a lucky & unusual find here...

I saw these pop up, and first glance they were kind of interesting but the Sprite/Midget manifold put me off. The photos were also absolutely tiny as you can see below. It got relisted a few times so I decided to have a closer look. There was a special tuning type choke bridge (C-AHT 1), the correct return spring anchors (C-AHT 2) and what was possibly the right angle fuel bowls. The current throttle/choke bridge is a bit weird, but the remainder of the parts seemed too specific to be a total home brew job. I asked the seller what the fuel bowls were and he said they were 4184 and 4185... I decided then it was worth a bid, seeing as they had the remainder of the parts to complete my set

They turned up today & wouldn't you believe it - they are a matched pair of AUD178 special tuning carbs!

And of course the 4814 & 4815 fuel bowls. The choke levers are 4045 which is also correct

One thing I noticed different to my other sets is that these use a banjo stud on the bottom of the fuel bowl rather than banjo bolts. Now the plan is to use this set as the basis for my good set, which will leave a few parts left over. As far as I can tell this set is only missing a few very minor parts :D
Hi Tim, "find of the year" :!: What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking, and why on earth did he have all of that scrap metal on the set when he has the correct abutment bracket :?:
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

Ronnie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:35 pmHi Tim, "find of the year" :!: What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking, and why on earth did he have all of that scrap metal on the set when he has the correct abutment bracket :?:
My only guess is that on the Midget manifold they didn’t have the correct throttle bracket so they made this contraption. It also looks like the choke was only being used on one side as there was an extra lever attached to one side which lines up with the top bracket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

timmy201 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 pm
Ronnie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:35 pmHi Tim, "find of the year" :!: What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking, and why on earth did he have all of that scrap metal on the set when he has the correct abutment bracket :?:
My only guess is that on the Midget manifold they didn’t have the correct throttle bracket so they made this contraption. It also looks like the choke was only being used on one side as there was an extra lever attached to one side which lines up with the top bracket
The abutment bracket can be used to stop both choke and accelerator cables, but you can see by the quality of the workmanship someone did not have a clue. :shock: A great opportunity and purchase for you well done. ;)