Digital Speedo

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Polarsilver

Digital Speedo

Post by Polarsilver »

:?
smiths-classic-mini-130-mph-black-digital-speedometer-p328-711_image.jpg
Only asking :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mab01uk

Re: Digital Speedo

Post by mab01uk »

The full range of Smiths classic Mini digital speedos (£375) :-
https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauge ... h-mini-t40
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

My friend had one on his mini and it worked great. Easy to calibrate, accurate and smooth needle & no big speedo cable.

The backlit odometer/trip is the most obvious giveaway that it's electronic, apart from that it looks really nice
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm making my own for the Moke. It will use the original mechanical odometer and needle turned by stepper motors. From the outside it should look identical to the original, apart from being correctly calibrated.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

That idea seems a good solution .. clearly i do not know what i am talking about when asking would step motors be reliable on rough roading such as you have in Australia.?
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I am sure that a stepper would be more reliable than an old fashioned spring balance movement.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Most modern vehicles have stepper motor driven instruments. For the needles they generally have something like one of these little guys behind each needle.

They aren't very powerful, but have a tiny plastic gearbox inside them so they are able to hold a needle in position no-worries.

Driving the odometer is a bit more complicated. I'm using one of these. Image
They are tiny, but again, because they are geared they have a decent amount of torque. You can get them in a range of gear ratios. I've found a small brass unversal joint that allows me to couple the shaft from the motor to the end of the odometer shaft. It looks like it will work OK.

I'll control it all with an Arduino microcontroller and the speedo signal will come from a GSD1000 - MiniSpares electronic speedo drive adaptor.

If anyone is interested in a basic primer, this bloke (who I stole the image at the top from) is excellent. https://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/20 ... -gaugette/

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Thanks Tim, Thats really interesting!
Festus

Post by Festus »

Hello and thank you @Tim for sharing. It is indeed very interesting.
My website here
Spider

Post by Spider »

I went Digital in my Moke about 12 years ago and never looked back. I've since built a few more similar Mokes and now Smith do a special Range of Instruments to my specs to suit these cars. I can't ever see myself going to a mechanical unit ever again. I've just started making Mini / Moke specific Senders to go with them.