Storage Recommendations (Yorkshire).

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
tweedy998

Storage Recommendations (Yorkshire).

Post by tweedy998 »

Hi all,

It's certainly getting to the time of year when we'd like to put our '65 Cooper away somewhere nice and dry for the Winter months.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations of good classic car storage, preferably in Yorkshire, though not adverse to travelling slightly further for the right facility, for example I've been considering a place in Cheshire. But I do worry about the car being that far away from us... Storage wise, I'm looking for somewhere, dry (humidity controlled), careful, and secure.

I'd love to hear any suggestions, before they start throwing salt on the roads hereabouts! Cheers! Ed.
1965 Tweed Grey Mk1 Morris Cooper 998
2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy 407/500
2010 Storm Grey Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Storage Recommendations (Yorkshire).

Post by mk1 »

These people are supposed to be very good.

But I imagine they aren't cheap.

https://www.yorkshirecarstorage.co.uk/? ... xAQAvD_BwE
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

I'm told these are very good, but as above won't be cheap.....

https://www.a1wetherbycarstorage.co.uk/

There's also a place near Tadcaster, will be cheaper but not as good. Where are you based?
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Have you ever thought about doing what my friend locally has been doing for the last 10 years or so. He's got an ex Southern Electricity Board van and rents a single garage from an old couple for 6 months ever year. Pays the couple the going rate - plus it's pretty well full with their own junk anyway but room for his van plus some. Pays on the dot and lucrative for them too.

But, additionally he covers said van with a poly sheet with a load of old bricks to secure the poly sheet to the garage floor. Not exactly an air-tight cocoon, except that for 2x half an hours a day he had a small dehumidifier clicks on and off. Keeps the van as dry as a witches.....er......, wallet. Hardly anything to run. Old couple are happy, van is dry, cheap storage and Andy is happy too
tweedy998

Post by tweedy998 »

mk1 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:10 am These people are supposed to be very good.

But I imagine they aren't cheap.

https://www.yorkshirecarstorage.co.uk/? ... xAQAvD_BwE
Thanks for this Mark. I think I looked at this place last year, I'll put it on my shortlist, though as you say, quite pricey.
tweedy998

Post by tweedy998 »

steve1071 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am I'm told these are very good, but as above won't be cheap.....

https://www.a1wetherbycarstorage.co.uk/

There's also a place near Tadcaster, will be cheaper but not as good. Where are you based?
Thanks for these suggestions Steve, much appreciated.
We're over in West Yorkshire.
tweedy998

Post by tweedy998 »

Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:17 pm Have you ever thought about doing what my friend locally has been doing for the last 10 years or so. He's got an ex Southern Electricity Board van and rents a single garage from an old couple for 6 months ever year. Pays the couple the going rate - plus it's pretty well full with their own junk anyway but room for his van plus some. Pays on the dot and lucrative for them too.

But, additionally he covers said van with a poly sheet with a load of old bricks to secure the poly sheet to the garage floor. Not exactly an air-tight cocoon, except that for 2x half an hours a day he had a small dehumidifier clicks on and off. Keeps the van as dry as a witches.....er......, wallet. Hardly anything to run. Old couple are happy, van is dry, cheap storage and Andy is happy too
Thanks for the ideas Peter. Your pal's solution sounds similar to mine last year,(sans poly sheet and bricks). I was lucky to be working on a job where the client had a reasonably sized virtually empty garage which I was able to rent for a reasonable fee. All was well until they decided to lift a sofa bed over the Mini one day when I wasn't there to supervise :shock: . Thankfully no damage done, but it spooked me and I moved the Cooper back home the following week.

I've actually had the offer of barn space from one of my other customers, but the access is really tricky for the Mini, if I was storing a Land Rover or suchlike it would be perfect but I just can't see it as a goer unfortunately with limited ground clearance even with the sump guard. :)
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

If lodging a car with "A little old lady" make sure you are INSURED!
kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

Don’t start me off on insurance, we should start a separate topic 😡
spraybeateer

Post by spraybeateer »

The Motorist at Sherburn on Elmet have been advertising storage for classic cars!
Probably a budget buster but worth a try , :lol: :roll: