Actual 998 Chat about rebuilds

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
snoopy64

Re: Actual 998 Chat about rebuilds

Post by snoopy64 »

If that’s a side effect of fitting what’s best available then great…but struggling what’s the easiest option
Cheers

Kevin
cabrio1275

Post by cabrio1275 »

Rob Walker (ex Oselli) Engineering is now part of the Fiennes group based in Lechlade.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

snoopy64 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:26 am As previous posted.. I’m not looking for more performance.. just yeh closest modern equivalent to what I had (not confident in having the old cam reprofiled and treated)

Would the infamous sw5 be better low down or is that another 997 variant?
In all fairness, if you ask a question like this, you are always going to get a range of answers, on here thankfully, a less wide range of answers than you would have seen on FB or somewhere similar, but still a range.

There have been some excellent suggestions on here, although my original choice was Calver's tweeked 997 cam, the Evo1 & the SW5 are both really decent options too, they are mild-ish cams that pull from next to nothing & will work very well in your engine. TBH, the difference between them is probably close to imperceptible apart from on a dyno. You have been lucky that Oz an engine builder of great renown, has shared his experience on the subject. As he has probably built more engine than the rest of us put together his is probably a really, really good suggestion.

Another alternative is to find someone with a low mileage 1100 & get a standard cam out of that. There must be thousands of unloved & unwanted 1100 / 998 Cooper camshafts about, I am sure I have at least 1. Personally, this is NOT a route I'd go down, but it is an option for a good standard cam that hasn't been mentioned.

Personally, I reckon that there is a danger of overthinking this! They are all decent cams, they will all do what you want them to do & the differences we are talking about are probably very small indeed.

M
snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

Thank you for steadying the ship Mark, I was starting to get there myself.. there has been some great feedback
Cheers

Kevin