Mk1 Replacement Bootlids

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Uphillmini67

Mk1 Replacement Bootlids

Post by Uphillmini67 »

Hi
About 15-20 years ago I bought one of the first Heritage Mk1 bootlids but was less than impressed with the quality. The first one that I received I sent back as the skin was warped and the second one was OK but not as good as I hoped. Fast forward to today and I need another bootlid for an early Mk1 but I have the added complication of now living on the other side of the world, so I don't want to be sending anything back!

These days there seem to be a few non-genuine bootlids available as well as the Heritage ones and quite a difference in cost. I was wondering whether anyone could provide some feedback on the quality of any of the currently available bootlids... And is there much difference between the genuine and non-gen doorskins?
mab01uk

Re: Mk1 Replacement Bootlids

Post by mab01uk »

Or for £21 you can modify a later Mk3 onwards bootlid with this conversion panel from Tim at Minimail...

Bootlid conversion panel to Mk1 style (MS19K):-
viewtopic.php?t=4251
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Hi Uphill & welcome to the forum.

Mab's suggestion is a very good one, assuming you can find a decent boot lid to modify.

The Heritage lids are certainly better now than they used to be. But they are not exactly the correct shape either. Most of the pattern boot lids are made by Magnum panels and are in all fairness pretty good.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Have also been looking for a decent used one.....without luck

Can I ask where the differences in shape are between the Heritage and original
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It's only something I know about by what I have read on here, I have never spotted it myself. But as I understand it, the shape above the recess is different between original MK1 lids & later ones, one has a more rounded shape, the other is flatter.

I am sure that someone with some actual experience will be able to explain better.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I've heard that before too when the conversion panels have been discussed - they're a good modification but not 100% right as the rest of the pressing is slightly different.
Never compared two side by side though.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Photos of the subtle differences here:-
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13345&p=105551
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Thanks for posting that, unless I am misunderstanding it, the difference is quite small, would you actually spot it on a car, without having another lid to compare ?
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I think you'd only spot it if you knew what to look for.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Sooo, pondering this, does that mean the Aluminium boot skins have the same difference - assuming they would use same tooling ?