Catalytic converter theft - watch out folks

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
AndyPen

Catalytic converter theft - watch out folks

Post by AndyPen »

Well today it was my turn after parking in what I though was a very safe spot for a couple of hours. Of course the ticket gives thieves a clue as to how long you may be away from your car. In my case, time enough to jack it up in full view of passers by and angle grind off the cat. Glad it wasn't a mini but boy, as they cut the Lambdas and tubing either side, so flanges are gone, I need an entire new set up underneath!!!! not cheap dear friends - so keep it in mind with your daily drivers.

cat gone pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mab01uk

Re: Catalytic converter theft - watch out folks

Post by mab01uk »

What kind of car? Round my way the favourite targets are Honda and Toyota Hybrids.....apparently their cats are worth more and if hybrid in better condition for their scrap value.
imack

Post by imack »

I always thought that the cats that are part of the exhaust manifold were safe as they're pretty inaccessible. But apparently bonnets are being opened and the manifold/cat assembly is being unbolted from the head and cut off from the system underneath the car.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Honda SUV seems to be a favourite, easy to get under.

Another use for battery angle grinder or reciprocating saw - apart from cutting padlocks of sheds and garages...!

Guy at work has his taken while fishing :(

EDIT

This dosent help, ads all over Facebook, ifcan find in 10 seconds and looks like its been up there for months why the fook dosent “caring” Facebook or The Police do any thing about it ?

This seems to be a classed as a “Non crime” and its become acceptable that the criminals wont be chased or even shutdown :(

7EADFB3E-53C0-49F6-9C72-511C8441E8E6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Exminiman on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

I replaced the one on my daily BMW with a cheap and nasty copy one which is worthless. At MOT time I bolt the proper one back on for the test, and swap it back after.

I've sold converters from scrap cars to buyers who insist on paying via bank transfer for a paper trail. None that I know will pay cash so that when an old Passat with three swarthy looking dudes turns up with a boot full of converters wanting cash boss they are sent packing.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Is this one of the advantages of owning a diesel car, especially if a pre-2009 without a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system?
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

mab01uk wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:40 pm What kind of car? Round my way the favourite targets are Honda and Toyota Hybrids.....apparently their cats are worth more and if hybrid in better condition for their scrap value.
Yes a Honda HRV so relatively easy access. The marks on the tarmac show they used a jack to get it up higher though.

Apparently grinding an ID of some kind into to body is a deterrent.
trevorhp

Post by trevorhp »

De Cat pipes are cheap and easy to fit.
Re fit cat for MOT.
Not ideal for time or the environment but may be the simple answer.
🤔🙄🙁
"Ambition: the first step on the road to disappointment" Homer. J. Simpson
"Disappointment: the first step on the road to enlightenment" Buddha
"Enlightenment: the first step on the road to ambition" Dalai Lama
KDK 320F
HDK 443E
DJJ 226H
TFD 47G
PKV 375
I x un-identified Ex-Race Cooper S Bodyshell originally Red now Blue since 1968
1 x un-identified 1967 Cox GTM Originally from Bolton, then Swansea then, Belgium then Holland, then Somerset :roll:
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Another reason for maybe not owning newer cars is that many now have wiring that is apparently coated in 'eco-friendly' soy based bioplastics. This seems to have led to a surge of issues with local wildlife, particularly foxes and rodents being attracted to chewing the various sensor wires under modern cars. Some of my neighbours now have to pen their cars in with makeshift cages......rather defeats the 'convenience' of their 'keyless entry' option (which also seems to result in the car being easily stolen). :lol:

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Germany has a problem with Martens chewing wiring and it goes back decades. You can buy a Marten repellant spray.