Works Car Wireing

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Polarsilver

Works Car Wireing

Post by Polarsilver »

I now own my Late Brother Bryan Purves Works Replica he build the car for his own use but many years later it was never driven ..its to late to ask Bryan so can i ask where i can obtain a works rally car Electric Schematic Drawing for a time scale of 1965/66 year build car ... in this car there are switches for everything plus navigator duplicates also has the brake light cut out switch and the four Lucas Fuse Boxes fitted inside in the car etc etc.
There was Forum Topic that discussed the Toc switch and i include a photo of a Windscreen Toc Switch "supplying resistor" installed in Bryans car and ask did the works cars with Toc switch Windscreen Heating have such a Resistor set up?
Windsceen heater resistor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Re: Works Car Wireing

Post by Ronnie »

No resistor required for the windscreen the ToK switch just switches the circuits @ 12 volts. I believe the 66 cars used a resistor to dim the headlights when dipping to the spots. :shock: :shock:
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Wasn't that resistor in the engine bay by the bean cans?

Sending a PM ;-)
Dearg1275

Post by Dearg1275 »

My understanding is that the seconded Lucas technicians who did the wiring JUST DID THE WIRING! They had no need of circuit diagrams. They knew what they were at. This is demonstrated by this wonderful photo of John Smith at work.
711E3E7E-2395-44B1-B5BD-76DA1C10A552.jpeg
You lay out the items the wiring needs to connect and you fill in the gaps and bind it all together nicely. Professionals!

D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I was at the Shrivenham village fete with my Cooper S a few years ago and a bloke was chatting to me about them and the electrics. It transpired that he was from Lucas and moved down here from Brum after working at Abingdon and the BMC/Leyland light vehicle design centre at Swindon developing wiring looms. He was involved in the new design where the wiring was all laid out flat and heat welded together.

He also explained that they/Lucas used the Abingdon works facility as a test bed to test the ruggedness of their new products. His specialty was generators and early alternators. That's why he was interested in my S because it was a cop car with an early AC alternator with separate regulator (not any more it's not.....) Initially the mounting flanges and mounting brackets broke like they were going out of fashion. The hammering given by the works trials and tests soon rectified the problems including his desiign got the extended bracket for the shorter alternators.

Absolutely nothing to do with Normans question...........
Nevsmini

Post by Nevsmini »

As said above there was no wiring diagram for these cars. Below is a photo of the original wiring loom in ORX77F. Scary to sort out at first, but if you bell it out or wire at a time it will start to make sense.
Dearg1275

Post by Dearg1275 »

And this is how it all starts!
955168D2-487B-429E-B0B3-E520791B0BAF.jpeg
Fun or what?

D
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Looks like its only bits of wire, plus a few Relays & 20 off Fuses ( none blown )+ Warning & P Lights + numerous Switches .. Car has Genuine Lucas parts so they should all be ok .. then especially with some help from South Wales..i will have a go and get the understanding of what all this wireing is doing :idea:
Thank You Mk1 Forum.
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

At least the 1960s Minis wires were coloured. I remember a visit to Prodrive when the MINI WRC was being built and all the wires were the same colour and the harnesses mapped out on a large wall board!
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

If you had taken a close look at each wire they were probably numbered & that was imprinted to the outer cable at spaced out intervals .. then along came fibre .. yes very much better back in the days of BMC> :roll: