were commercials available in the same colours as saloons?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Pandora

were commercials available in the same colours as saloons?

Post by Pandora »

I am sure I have the info somewhere, but can't place it at the moment.

I know Elves & Hornets had 'unique' colours in the mini range, but in the late '60's / early '70s were vans and pickups available in the same colours as saloons / Clubmans/ Coopers, or did they have their own (I'd assume more limited) colour range?

I'm obviously interested as my van is a '71 - what was the choice at the dealer?

I found this brochure on line, but it doesn't list the colour range: http://www.minipassionmini.50megs.com/p ... 201970.pdf

Al
Peter Laidler

Re: were commercials available in the same colours as saloons?

Post by Peter Laidler »

The only answer to that question is just how many did the original purchaser want. Large buyers such as the Army, Post Office, the AA and the SEB could dictate whatever colours they wanted. So in real terms, you could paint yours in its original colour or any of the available commercial colours.

Not a real answer of course but it is an opening to select one of the many colours they were produced in.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Indeed. The AA, Wimpey Homes, the Police etc I get.

But Joe public, walking in off the street to buy one van for his fish round / florist shop, what could he chose?

Al
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

There were quite a few differences between the Mini car and Mini commercial colour ranges.
Also, the commercials could be purchased new in primer.
Colours which I can recall being offered on the commercial but not the saloon would include Persian Blue, Cumulus Grey and a darkish green - possibly Everglade? there are probably others too... I'm talking specifically of the period you asked about - of course early commercials were also available in different colours to the saloons; Willow Green, Whitehall Beige, Tweed Grey (before it was offered on the cars) And the unusual Marigold of course!
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Teal blue, glacier white and Damask red were quite common early 70's Van pick up colours shared with the saloons.
goff

Post by goff »

Costafortune wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:46 am Teal blue, glacier white and Damask red were quite common early 70's Van pick up colours shared with the saloons.
I had a early 70s mini van , colour - Connaut green , this colour was used on ADO16 cars also.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

From Mini Pick-up International:-
(click & scroll down)
https://www.minipickup.club/colours-and-trim

PUP Wiki:-
(click & scroll down)
https://www.minipickup.club/pup-wiki
Last edited by mab01uk on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I say about the volume customer van colours because the traveling auto electrician Maurice Cooper (yes, that really was his name.....) who used to travel between garages in the Newbury/Hungerford area in the 70's, troubleshooting electrical gremlin problems had a GPO red van that he got new from CGBrowns. I just presumed that it was an excess GPO production that was foisted off to the dealers to sell on.

I remember that at the time, the grey and light green vans were a sort of semi matt finish......, almost as if it was made to be over-painted gloss. My friend locally has a T reg, ex Royal Navy commercial in teal blue. Suits it really well
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

This is from the August 1976 Parts Catalogue AKM 0031. It also shows the trim options for the various colours.
Van Pick Up Colours.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?: