Coming to a Road Near You

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
InnoCooperExport

Re: Coming to a Road Near You

Post by InnoCooperExport »

I know a chap through a Dutch forum I'm also a member on who was rear ended on a motorway by a truck driven by a distracted driver. It plowed straight through his recent Merc E class estate. Paramedics said it was a miracle he survived. He has had a leg, shoulder, and elbow rebuilt. This happened about 3 years ago and he is still in rehab. If these cameras stop similar crashes from happening I'm all for it. Someone else's mistake has made his life miserable for a very long time.
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

It's sad that it's only the deterrent of a fine and/or points that make some people drive responsibly, when it should be the consideration of others. Out on my usual weekend bike ride this morning on a narrow two lane road that is only a tourist circuit and a moron overtook me on a completely blind bend just before an oncoming car appeared. Spotted them five minutes later stopped taking photos of the scenery, well worth the risk then. I'm all for detterents like this despite what people say about them being easy money for the authorities.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

mk1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:21 pm OK, so I have had a couple of snipes about this & I do believe what I say, but there are far more people killed on the roads than by knife crime. And a lot of those killed on the roads were by drivers who were going too fast or texting or both.

There are two sides to every coin ;)

Deaths in the UK due to knife crime 2020 - 235
Total deaths on the roads in the UK 2020 - 1516

The stats speak for themselves :(

For more info, this is a very good tool.

https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/custom-d ... -accidents
Compare the number of cars to the number of scummers carrying knives though.
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

They’ve rolled these cameras out in Australia last year. Ours use small trailers with a camera rather than a marked reflective van.

Some of the images they release to the public are pretty shocking - drivers with both hands on the phone and the passenger holding the wheel for example.

You can see why the “dashcam owners” YouTube channel always has plenty of material every single week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

The height of the gantry cameras also means they can more easily catch Lorry/Truck drivers on their phones or laptops which are hard to see from the level of a patrol car. Recently some police forces have been using unmarked lorries on motorways so they are at the same level to see what truck drivers are up to in the next lane....on one of the recent TV traffic police series episodes this enabled them to catch several long distance lorry drivers totally engrossed in watching films/movies on laptops propped on the dash while still driving.

Not to mention all the 'unlock' options available to make TV/DVD screens in view of car drivers operate even when in motion rather than just when parked....

What is Video in Motion BMW? Once DVD in Motion has been coded into your BMW and activated, you'll be able to continue watching....
"If your BMW has the option of playing videos via DVD and/or USB while parked, it's possible to unlock DVD in Motion (Video in Motion), allowing your passengers to watch movies while you are driving.
Video in motion is a very useful upgrade if you have a long journey ahead of you or simply want to keep your passengers entertained — perfect for family road trips or when traveling with children.
In addition, BimmerTech can also unlock services like Office Messages, Online Entertainment, Bluetooth Pairing and the User Manual for use while driving if they are already available in your vehicle when parked.
Note: Safety comes first, so we advise using the Video in Motion module responsibly and only when it is safe to do so, as not to endanger others or break any traffic laws. In some countries/states having a video playing in front of the driver is illegal. We recommend checking your local laws prior to upgrading."
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/4 ... motion-bmw
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

And did you know that BMW are now making certain features of their cars a subscription service. It currently cost £15.99 a month to use your heated seats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62142208

If anyone buys (or leases) a new BMW they should look carefully at what is and is not included in the basic package, and what you will have to pay for monthly to use.
The reason for this is economics. It is far easier for manufacturers to put everything in the car on the production line, and then program the features you have paid for. Yet again the manufacturers are putting their profit before the need to cut unnecessary manufacture and wastage of resources.

PS My original reason for posting the van up was to warn others of a new method that law enforcement are using. Also note that the van shown has traffic survey written in big letters on it and not Police on Safety Camera signs on it.
:?:
olddave

Post by olddave »

I'm with Mark on this one, maybe it's an age thing :?

The amount of tear-arse driving going on, total disregard for speed limits, white lines, etc and a lack of policing is putting Mr 'Normal' at risk. The more deterrents the better.

Having said that there's plenty of press articles detailing non-insured, non-licenced or banned drivers getting caught, getting away with small fines, a slap on the wrist or getting points on their licence which they don't have.

Glad I was young once! :oops:
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

surfblue63 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:40 pm And did you know that BMW are now making certain features of their cars a subscription service. It currently cost £15.99 a month to use your heated seats.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62142208

If anyone buys (or leases) a new BMW they should look carefully at what is and is not included in the basic package, and what you will have to pay for monthly to use.
The reason for this is economics. It is far easier for manufacturers to put everything in the car on the production line, and then program the features you have paid for. Yet again the manufacturers are putting their profit before the need to cut unnecessary manufacture and wastage of resources.
To save money can a BMW owner subscribe for heated seats (£15 per month) and steering wheel (£10 per month) only during the winter months? :lol: