Can rubber staining be removed from original vinyl seat material?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Minisprinter

Re: Can rubber staining be removed from original vinyl seat material?

Post by Minisprinter »

This might sound a bit strange but try carb cleaner, I recently had to change the colour of the lower dash on my Mrs mini and decided to paint it using vinyl paint ( which worked surprisingly well) I needed to clean the vinyl before painting to remove contaminants, a quick spray and cloth off using kitchen roll brought the dash up like new with no ill effects to the base material.

MS
Bertam

Post by Bertam »

I'm going to try sugar soap first and if that has no affect, then carb cleaner, but will spray a bit on a small brush and apply sparingly in a single area first.

Thanks again everyone for the replies here.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If you're lucky its just staining on the surface, but I suspect it has penetrated into the vinyl. The black colour is usually carried out of the tyre by the plasticisers used in manufacturing. The plasticiser is able to dissolve into the vinyl and drags the black stuff along with it. Once its in there, its going to be very hard to get out.

In desperation you could try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) available as clear pvc primer. It will soften and dissolve PVC (i.e. vinyl) so you do have to be really careful with it, but I used it on some grey headliner and it was amazing the stains it could remove. Test it somewhere underneath, and take care using it, its nasty stuff.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

Just to let you know, I've just cleaned paint off the Mrs mini rear seat using carb cleaner, it worked a treat, but I worked fast, spray on the carb cleaner and wipe straight off with kitchen towel, I did about 2" at a time and had the whole of a 10" wheel outline to remove including a part tyre stain.

MS
nickacb

Post by nickacb »

I recently painted the red vinyl of my fleck seat covers with rustoleum vinyl paint. Some red paint touch the fleck vinyl and I use some thinner. Maybe is not exaclty the same porblem, but if anything else fails, maybe try using thinner in a small part and see how it goes, sounds harsh but I guess it could be a last resource option
Bertam

Post by Bertam »

As I was able to get to it over the weekend, wanted to post an update on the rubber staining problem.

Here's a photo of my end result. Compare it to the starting point photos.

Firstly, I tried by using sugar soap applied with a 1" paint brush. Let that sit for a few minutes than wiped it off with a clean cloth. Repeated this several times, letting it sit longer and longer during each round. The sugar soap had absolutely zero effect on the staining though some other general 'dirt' was removed - the clean white clothes used to wipe turned a light tan after a bit.

I had the cushions out on a flat surface under bright light while doing this and noticed the sugar soap did not in any way affect the surface sheen or embossed texture of the cushions.

Then in a very small area I tried carb cleaner on a cotton bud. Far too strong.. it almost melted the surface.

What did end up working reasonably well is similar to what Tim suggested - in my case I used cellulose thinners on cotton buds. I dipped the end in it and then rolled the buds across the stained areas. As it was being rolled, the bud would turn from white to tan or even a dark brown as the staining was pulled off the vinyl surface. You have to be very careful doing this though. If I 'scrubbed' the surface at all, a darker woven underlayer in the vinyl material would become visible after a few seconds. Cleaning the cushions by 'rolling' them this way is very time consuming and uses a lot of cotton buds.

The end result was that using cellulose thinners reduced the staining by around 50%. In some areas the result was a bit better while on the worst affected area in the centre of the upper cushion, it only reduced the staining by around 30%?

Going forward my thought was to take the cushions to an upholstery repairer to see if they might be able to cover the stained areas with a custom mixed vinyl paint applied using an airbrush or a small spray gun? In the past I worked in several automotive dealerships who had a mobile company come by to 'touch up' damaged vinyl and plastic surfaces on used cars that had been traded in. Their results were almost always quite impressive - in many cases you would never (or barely) noticed that a repair had been made.

If one of those companies felt that would not work, I will probably end up getting replacement covers from Newtons. For now though, I will leave things as they are.

Thanks again for all the inputs here. Much appreciated. :)

Andrew
Last edited by Bertam on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Probably a lot cheaper to get some Vinylkote mixed and spray it yourself.

https://www.kolorbond.co.uk/vinylkote-p ... her-vinyl/
:?:
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

I out vinylkote on the rear seat of our 64 - to change it from green to white primer, then red. It was the only thing I could find in the scrap yard to replace my ripped and cracked one. Think I’ve mentioned it before but this was early 90s. Suffice to say it still looks great :-)
nickacb

Post by nickacb »

Now that you have managed drastically erase the stain, also try rustoluem vinyl paint, I used it recently and does a good job
Bertam

Post by Bertam »

Forgot to add.

After doing what I mentioned to reduce the stains, I waited a bit and tried another application in a few of the darker spots. That did nothing to further reduce the staining.

It appears that what remains is completely ingrained within the vinyl?