I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

Post by mab01uk »

Costafortune wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:09 pm With DVLA, the answer has ALWAYS been to tell them as little as possible. On no account tell them you've reshelled it. Ignorance is bliss with this lot.
I agree this is ALWAYS the best option, the days of local offices staffed by experienced people who used 'common sense' is long gone in the DVLA, Banks, Police, Local Councils, Utility companies.....the computer says no. I could go on!
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

[/quote]
I agree this is ALWAYS the best option, the days of local offices staffed by experienced people who used 'common sense' is long gone in the DVLA, Banks, Police, Local Councils, Utility companies.....the computer says no. I could go on!
[/quote]
Experienced people - please explain the term. Common sense could be "programmed" just like the technological detail for automated driving systems. BUT, I am still learning road skills based on daily encounters of other road users. "Is it me? Am I unique?" Signed - P Eleton! :D :D
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Maybe you should go to Dowsetts Classic Cars and ask their advice on how they managed to get this car registered as a new build and how it passed an IVA test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIhJqvs1vY

I thought to get a new registration all parts have to be new, this car has been built using a 1.8 engine and suspension from a MK2 Mazda MX-5. To get an IVA you must have lights and mudguards. Something is not right here.
:?:
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

There does seem to be a massive disparity between what should happen and what actually happens, depending on who is doing it and if they have told the relevant authorities.

I know of lotus XI replicas that have gone through IVA with all the correct (legal) items in place, that then get removed and the car goes back to a period spec, it's my understanding that photos are taken during the IVA (I've not gone through the process) and that if the vehicle is subsequently checked and is found to have had it's spec altered then the registration can be removed
turbocox

Post by turbocox »

I’m NOT 100% sure but……

Once a vehicle has a Iva and registration, my ignorant understanding ( due to what I have read ) was it’s just like any other manufactures vehicle you buy off of a forecourt (ford/vw/bmw ect…)

It can then be modified just like any mini, with a set of wheels, engine mods, lowered suspension, body kit, spoilers ect….

I know we are talking about electric conversions but you get my meaning.

I remember reading this about a particular top of the line seven type vehicle, aswell as other replica and so called super car component cars.

The manufacturer asks you, once you have built the vehicle and are ready for a inspection by the authorities, to have a Iva kit fitted to make sure you vehicle and prepared by them to make sure it passes.

Then once you have passed, what you do is deemed just as a modification from its inspected state.

One of the previous owners of the GTM Coupe project spent ages modifying the headlight position which looked very odd.

Now other certain component car manufactures just set the suspension ride height higher to pass the headlight height rules, only to lower the spring platforms later in the day so the car doesn’t look like it’s on stilts.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

The mechanical build and safety of the vehicle is all contained within the motor vehicle construction and use regulations as applicable to vehicles used on the UK roads - with certain exemptions of course. Such as US servicemen who bring their US Golf GTi's into the UK for 6 months and the like
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

turbocox wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 pm

Now other certain component car manufactures just set the suspension ride height higher to pass the headlight height rules, only to lower the spring platforms later in the day so the car doesn’t look like it’s on stilts.
My Mate's Lotus Europa was actually built to US spec, and that was what Lotus did - simply raised the front end to get the headlights to comply. I'm sure not one remains to that spec, nor did so beyond delivery! :lol:

Al
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

Period and IVA spec
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Jesus wept!

that didn't miss a branch as it fell out the ugly tree, did it?

Al
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Thanks again everyone.
No news yet.
I should add that I have built both kit cars and replicas before and have them tested, so I am (was) au fait with the requirements and so on.
Initially this was only supposed to be a change of ‘engine’.
It was the DVLA who passed it onto the kit car department. This meant they were no longer going to allow me to keep the original number plates (nicely restored original blumells), and the question became will it get a period plate as a modified car.
Unfortunately they then disregarded their own rules on how a modified car gets a period plate (the points system).
Anyway, I’ll keep you posted.