I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

Post by Andrew1967 »

Yep, fingers crossed that common sense prevails …

The email sent in reply seems absolutely spot on and importantly non confrontational or threatening, which would have had a negative impact on your appeal.

As a slight aside and in reply to Peters comments about sending stuff recorded delivery etc. In actual fact the recipient could argue that nothing was inside . All it actually assures is that the envelope arrives and is signed for … This happened a few times when I worked for the large Norwich based insurer years ago with documentation that was allegedly sent by recorded delivery but we didn’t receive it, only the envelope …. So we paid for new replacement certificates etc as we couldn’t prove they weren’t there any more (in reality) that they could prove they were ! And of course it isn’t good for customer relations so we got replacements, although not the same as originals.

Anyway, back to topic …
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

No decision yet other than to tell me if the appeal is not granted it is not possible to reverse the (easily reversible) conversion and go back to the engine.
So either the appeal works or thread title comes true.
Vintage to Classic

Post by Vintage to Classic »

It’s always the people following the rules that come the worst off.
Do you think the bloke with a tax free Land Rover id on a TD5 defender has problems?
Or the lad with an spi Mini using a 1968 850 Log Book?
Or the Ford Pop on an MX5 chassis using the Pop chassis plate?
Or the millionaire driving a Pur Sang Bugatti with a BOC chassis number dating his 2010 car as 1928?
They don’t, because they know it’s wrong and lay low.

The DVLA needs to crack down on things, but unless there’s a need to investigate they can’t.

I wish you all the best, I’m sure Common Sense will prevail, but you may need to involve a third party, such as The British Mini Club.
As an aside, there’s the chap in TV who converts cars to electric, he may be able to help but if you punch the numbers of the cars he’s converted into the DVLA vehicle checker they come up as powered by petrol or diesel…
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Old English White wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm I'm happy to be corrected but I believe that the DVLA have never sold any previously issued registrations?
The ones which they do sell are registration numbers which were never issued I understand.
DVLA are up to all sorts. For example, there are a large number of valuable registration numbers allocated to expensive late model cars - Mercs, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Porsches etc that are all showing as scrapped, plus they have a big bank of pre 1964 numbers on cars registered but showing as 'not taxed for road use' all with the last V5 issue date of 1983 and 1984. They have certainly been harvesting plenty of desirable number plates.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Costafortune wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:27 pm
Old English White wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm I'm happy to be corrected but I believe that the DVLA have never sold any previously issued registrations?
The ones which they do sell are registration numbers which were never issued I understand.
DVLA are up to all sorts. For example, there are a large number of valuable registration numbers allocated to expensive late model cars - Mercs, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Porsches etc that are all showing as scrapped, plus they have a big bank of pre 1964 numbers on cars registered but showing as 'not taxed for road use' all with the last V5 issue date of 1983 and 1984. They have certainly been harvesting plenty of desirable number plates.

From the DVLA web site

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/h ... st_vehicle

dvla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?:
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

:lol:
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

"Don't believe all you read and even less of what you hear"

Edgar Allan Poe.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

Prince Charles Aston still carries it's original registration (J reg), it's been converted to electric :!: :? :? :?
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Remember these important words....... All you are demanding....., not asking, but demanding, is that the vehicle is REINSTATED with the number plate as originally allocated by the secretary of state for transport, issued under his authority by the issuing authority 'AT THE TIME'

And if their current successors will not, then that is entirely a matter for them - and NOT you, because hereafter it will carry its allocated registration number......., as issued by the secretary of..... as above.

They mighty scream their tits off and say that they are going to tell the cops. They won't be interested. The only authority that can change those basic rules, laid down in statute law is...... You've guessed it, a Court of Law.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

I won’t bring the big guns out unless necessary.
If they insist on an iva then the car is dead as it was never designed for such a test.
As per everyone else I am hoping common sense prevails but I am not confident it will.
If it does not, then it is worth my while to go through the appeal process simply because I have so much invested.
But if it comes to that I would prefer to burn my worthless paperwork and use the ironwork as a very nice shell for someone to make use of.
I refer everyone back to my little story of the 4 pence invoice, it does not bode well.