I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Minisprinter

Re: I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

Post by Minisprinter »

In these situations paperwork is your friend, if you haven't already, put the car through a M.O.T , get the car inspected by an official, from past experience these guys love paperwork, if you can show what you have done is of sound engineering it will help a lot. Its all about playing the game to their rules and regs, in the end you could be presently surprised, if you try to fight them there will be only one winner and they are holding a hand full of aces.

MS
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Cheers again all.
FYI the hole, I think, is the one for the charging point behind the rear number plate.
And yes I know the boot lid is not part of the monocoque/chassis.
I will post the email I sent them, it is long but clears a few things up.
The % sign was meant to be a 5! You need 8 points to retain age related plates.
Last edited by Bitsilly on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

YYL914
I refer to the inspection of the above classic mini which has been converted to electric, and your decision to award a Q plate and require an IVA due to a hole being drilled.

It has the original suspension front and back. (2 points)
It has the original axles (2 points)
Thus it has the original transmission, it also uses a mini differential. (2points)
The steering is all original. (1 point)

Regarding the chassis/monocoque. the only change is a hole drilled behind the number plate at the rear (for a charger port) which on a mini of this age the number plate pivots at the top and so covers the hole. The boot lid itself is not part or the chassis or integral to the strenght of the body/monocoque as it a hinged panel.
Both subframes are retained.

It seems that I have scored zero from a possible % points for the chassis and sub frames usage due to this drilled hole. I am happy to weld this hole up as it is very easy to simply put the charger inside the boot or where the petrol filler hole is.
No other holes were drilled, existing drainage holes or loom holes were used.

The entire ethos of this electrification was to make it 100% reversable. This has been achieved.

The inspector who came to see the car did not have much comment other than to say it was an excellent, well engineered conversion and there should be no further problems. He said that he represented the DVLA so his decision was the one that counted and the one which would be on the report, and he said there were no issues regarding registration change or IVA. I do not understand what has changed if the report recommends the car retains it's original identy.

In the same way as any 62 year old car will have had welding done to retain its road worthyness, I would propose that I weld up the hole.
Or if preferred I can fit a replacement boot lid.
If you have given the chassis/monocoque zero points for any other holes which we have used then I also offer to weld these up although strictly speaking that would be a modification and stop the electrification being reversible.
I have not seen the report that you are basing your decision on, but I hereby offer to weld up any holes about which you are aware of.

The company which has done this conversion have done many others, all of which have been inspected, and none have required a Q plate or IVA for drilled holes or otherwise.

So please could you re-examine the facts and my offer to weld up the offending drilled hole that has caused an immaclate 1960 mini to require an IVA and a Q plate. I am happy to finance a second inspection if necessary.

In case that the DVLA do insist that this hole, even welded up, still warrents the IVA and Q plate, could you please provide me with details of how to appeal such a decision.
I will not be booking an IVA etc until I have had clarification of the above points and I presume that it will not be required until the appeal has finished.

Many thanks
Ed Keane
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Very reasonable, and well reasoned.

Let's hope they politely acknowledge the error and it gets sorted. Hard to see how they can maintain the position really

Al
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

It does seem nuts... but I know where they live!!! Best of luck mate.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

It looks like someone has made a mistake when reading the original report. Hopefully you will get this cleared up and be able to keep the original identity for your excellent car.
:?:
beardylonodn

Post by beardylonodn »

Perhaps the DVLA want to keep the reg number and sell it off!
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

I'm happy to be corrected but I believe that the DVLA have never sold any previously issued registrations?
The ones which they do sell are registration numbers which were never issued I understand.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

OEW is correct. But never say never, because they really are a law unto themselves.

Slightly off topic but could be relevant in the future. Another bit of advice given to me during my engineering inspection days was when communicating with DVLC - or any 'agency' - never, never ever, not never rely on any form of communication except special delivery. OR, second best the orange label signed for post. And stick the receipt to the copy letter. Old fashioned, I know but there's no better evidence.
Last edited by Peter Laidler on Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

In all fairness, Personally, I have always found the DVLA to be pretty good in situations like this.

Here's hoping.
Mark F
General dogsbody.